Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 08:46 AM

270 posts, read 488,414 times

Advertisements

I used to swim quite a bit when I was younger but have fallen out of the habit I miss it though and would like to get back into it but I KNOW I have no endurance or speed AND I'm self-conscious about my weight! Anyone swim frequently, either at the Y or the rec centers? I'm trying to figure out when the fewest people are there, either in the morning before 10 or in the evenings after 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 12:14 PM

36 posts, read 69,613 times
it'd be worth a shot, to call the YMCA's and rec centers. They can tell you
when the pools are most active. I think, there are swim practices for swim teams in the evening, 5:30 - 7:30 or so. At least, at Mount Trashmore YMCA.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:36 PM

I've looked at the schedules for both and know when they have classes...but I'm trying to figure out when not a lot of people are going to be there swimming laps. I've asked a couple of the trainers at the Norfolk Y but they have no answers :/

Old 01-29-2010, 06:24 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,845,180 times
My son swims with the Tides and they practise every evening at the outside (with a bubble) pool at the Trashmore YMCA. The inside pool is always DEAD in the evening. Not sure if that is close to you, but there is an open swim line and no on is there from 7 to 9.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:39 PM

Hey Shellytc, thanks for you comment, that definitely helps

Old 02-16-2010, 07:09 AM

5 posts, read 16,443 times
I know the Norfolk Downtown Y is usually not too busy during the morinings for lap swimming. They do have a couple lanes that are sometimes being used and one lane that is about the size of two lanes close to the edge of the pool that is not usually used in the morinings. I have swam there a couple times. I like the different Y's for swimming. NEver feel overly self concious, even though I am not in the best of shape. They do have a locker room that goes right to the pool also so you don't have to walk in the hall or anything with your suit on.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:55 AM

24 posts, read 67,482 times
Default Norfolk Public pools an option

can't beat FREE not luxurious but OK, and most of all never crowded! People who work there are very nice too. One is the Huntersville pool, the other is Northside (I think). You can find more info on norfolk.gov

Old 03-06-2010, 08:04 AM
NJR

236 posts, read 1,031,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh2009 View Post
I used to swim quite a bit when I was younger but have fallen out of the habit I miss it though and would like to get back into it but I KNOW I have no endurance or speed AND I'm self-conscious about my weight! Anyone swim frequently, either at the Y or the rec centers? I'm trying to figure out when the fewest people are there, either in the morning before 10 or in the evenings after 7.
I took my son to the YMCA for him to learn how to swim (he was like a brick in water) we would go around 6pm. In all honesty, the Y didn't look like a pickup joint to me. People would be there doing their thing taking aquarobics or swim lessons in a non judgmental setting. I wouldn't worry too much about being self conscious about your weight as long as you wear an appropriate swimsuit. (If you are 400 lbs I would avoid a thong bikini or speedo that may draw attention.)

I saw only people doing their thing & having a good time. Go for it & good luck, swimming is and excellent low impact exercise routine!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area