Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 08:49 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,019,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I would not be surprised to see such a high level of kids. Nor would I be that surprised to see a low median age. After all, with such a high number of military members, thats almost a given.

However, I would be very interested in comparing 2010 numbers to 2000 numbers. My guess is that the 18-24 numbers probably rose as a percent, since more kids are stuck living with their parents as Hampton Roads has increasingly become unaffordable, but I would put money on it that the 25-44 shrunk, and the 45-64 rose.
Well I really don’t think the number for the military members would be as high as you think…especially in that 20’ish age group…the Census count will not show many of them as residents of Hampton Roads just because they may be "stationed here" at the present time…many of them might live on the boat or rent an apartment or home in the Hampton Roads area but they will be counted by the census on where they claim their ” legal residency” which often times will be their original home town or home state they lived in before they joined the military…As active duty personal they have the right to do that…..

As far as the other age groups yes I also expect the 45-64 age group to rise ...I dont see how it can not because that age group is part of the "baby boom" generation (those born from 1946 to 1964) which has always had a large number count as far as census counting over the years....

My only question about your remarks would be....What statement are you going to stick with? ....on this post you state that many of the 20'ish age folks are stuck living here...in your other postings you state that many of them are leaving....which is it?

Last edited by rtandc; 02-25-2010 at 09:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 10:28 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
My only question about your remarks would be....What statement are you going to stick with? ....on this post you state that many of the 20'ish age folks are stuck living here...in your other postings you state that many of them are leaving....which is it?
18-24 is the demographic that would be stuck living at home, 25-35 is the demographic that is leaving. I never once changed my argument, as Ive consistantly been referring to the 25-35 demographic. There is a difference between the two age groups. The primary one is that the 25-35 age younger adults have graduated college, and frequently have gained enough experience that they begin to become annoyed by the lack of advancement opportunity. They also may have some savings or other resources to assist them in vacating the area. The 18-24 year olds would either be stuck in a crappy low end job wherever they go, or they have only recently graduated college and have limited job experience. They would more likely just stay with their parents a little while longer, rather then abandon the area.

I imagine that demographic would go up, because, more and more of this demographic is either staying in colllege longer praying that an advanced degree will pay more, or they are increasingly stuck in crap jobs that they are heavily overqualified for, making below national wage, in an area that has 123% COL.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:29 PM

Randomdude ....OK if that is your theory...( Well your hate for the area) stick with it......it will be interesting when the new census comes out

Old 02-25-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Randomdude ....OK if that is your theory...( Well your hate for the area) stick with it......it will be interesting when the new census comes out

It will be, and I will be the first to say I told you so or eat crow.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
an area that has 123% COL.

I love how you like to quote statements like that but then talk highly of places like NYC or Manhatten which is much higher then here......like to explain that?

Old 02-25-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
It will be, and I will be the first to say I told you so or eat crow.

LOL what am I going to eat crow over.....you make statements like all 18-24 year olds live at home and all 25-35 year olds leave the area......I think that is funny when you make statements like these. That we are supposed to believe that you know where every 18-24 year old person lives....your hate for this area is so strong you just make up silly statements like these up and we get to sit back and have a good laugh over them..............So you are the only one that has to prove these statements not me.....LOL

Last edited by rtandc; 02-25-2010 at 03:09 PM..

Old 02-25-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
I love how you like to quote statements like that but then talk highly of places like NYC or Manhatten which is much higher then here......like to explain that?
The fact that the wage income, especially for college graduates, is much higher in NYC. So, while my COL might rise to 189%, my salary will double or more, and my chance of promotion will also multiply.

I think you are confusing one thing here, its not the 123% COL I have the issue with, its the fact that Virginia Beach is combining that with a below national average median wage income. If Virginia Beach had incomes in line with the COL, it wouldnt be that big of problem. Further, what even magnifies it is that the median and mean wage of almost every profession are very close together, which means there are very few high dollar supervisor positions or places to be promoted. Most of us are working the same crappy jobs for the same crappy wages, with a few high dollar supervisors sprinkled in.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
LOL what am I going to eat crow over.....you make statements like all 18-24 year old live at home and all 25-35 year olds leave the area......I think that is funny when you make statements like that....your hater for this area is so strong you just make silly statements like these up.........you are the one that has to prove those statements not me.....LOL

You misunderstood my quote. I was offering for ME to eat crow if the Census facts overturn the things Ive been professing.

By the way, nothing I am saying is so silly. You are completely disconnected from the plight of the average Hampton Roads wage slave. You have multiple homes, and are likely one of those 45+ people living off of non-wage income. You may not see it, but so far, the stats that we have seem to prove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area