U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 03:48 PM

27 posts, read 55,853 times

Advertisements

About to take a job around the City Center area and was really impressed with the Williamsburg area when we visited it. How bad of a commute is the I-64 corridor going to and from Newport News from the Williamsburg area?

Also, we will be looking to rent a home instead of condo or apartment as we have a few dogs. Are there any suggestions of other areas that don't have a bad commute time (30-45 mins) into Newport News? I understand living in Norfolk or anywhere on the Southside is generallly not a good idea with the tunnel and all, but what about any other specific areas on the Peninsula?

Also, how bad is traffic on the James River Bridge during rush hour?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 09:13 PM

361 posts, read 1,383,894 times
the commute between City Center and Williamsburg can range from 25 min to an hour easily, especially with summer traffic. in the AM, traffic can bottle neck around the Fort Eustis area, which is also a big accident spot. In the PM, the traffic backs up from the jefferson exit to past fort Eustis; in the summertime all bets are off with traffic throughout the day. you can take routes 143 and 60 to williamsburg, which run parallel to I64, but many people also take those routes, and even though you are moving, it can still take a while.

That being said, I would still live on the same side of the water as your job, thus ruling out Norfolk/Va Beach. The tunnels can be even worse than just regular interstate driving. the drive from City Center to Smithfield-isle of wight county over the james river bridge is also about 25 to 30 minutes, but the traffic on that bridge is not bad at all; just the occasional bridge lift.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:34 PM

2,383 posts, read 5,750,780 times
The drive can be horrible as the above poster stated, but keep in mind, that Williamsburg is a nicer area to live in overall, compared to Newport News. It's worth the drive and traffic to me!

Old 02-26-2010, 09:01 AM

134 posts, read 513,275 times
The commute on 64 is no where near as bad as any of the tunnels plus you always have secondary roads such as Jefferson and Warwick.

The James River Bridge is only backed up during accidents and bridge lifts so Isle of Wight/Carrollton/Smithfield is a good option as well.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:07 AM

Those are the three main places we have been looking. (Eagle Harbor area across the bridge, Williamsburg and areas of Newport News).

How is the Kiln Creek area as far as neighborhood goes? Is it a decent neighborhood? It is literally 5 minutes from where I would be working. A little bit more expensive than Eagle Harbor area, but very close to work.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:44 PM

361 posts, read 1,383,894 times
kiln creek is a very nice area with many amenities, trails, golf, little convenience stores, plus access to all the major shopping on the peninsula; not to mention that it is 5 minutes from city center. KC straddles both newport news and york county, so if schools are a concern, look for something on the county side.

not trying to dissuade you from williamsburg (it is a nice area), just be aware that the commute has steadily gotten worse over the past couple of years. If commuting is a major concern there are great areas in york county, poquoson, parts of newport news as well where you will be much closer to work

Old 02-26-2010, 12:53 PM

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

I'm going to have to look around. First and foremost is finding somewhere that will take 3 dogs (2 very small ones and a lab), then budget, then area. Unforuntately I have them, otherwise I would just rent an apartment in New Town, City Center or Towne Center in the middle of everything and close to where I will be working.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:30 AM

80 posts, read 189,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
kiln creek is a very nice area with many amenities, trails, golf, little convenience stores, plus access to all the major shopping on the peninsula; not to mention that it is 5 minutes from city center. KC straddles both newport news and york county, so if schools are a concern, look for something on the county side.

not trying to dissuade you from williamsburg (it is a nice area), just be aware that the commute has steadily gotten worse over the past couple of years. If commuting is a major concern there are great areas in york county, poquoson, parts of newport news as well where you will be much closer to work
Damien, what is the commute like from York county to Va Beach? And also what are some nice areas to live in Newport News? I am moving to the area and have never been before. My brother is from Norfolk & he has warned me not to live in Newport News because it's crappy and dangerous (gangs, crime, etc.) I too want to be able to jog comfortably or walk my dog...also safety is a big issue for me as well

Old 02-28-2010, 05:22 AM

1,184 posts, read 3,674,951 times
I commuted to City Center at Oyster Point for a few years untill our company opened an office in New Town. We live a few miles west of the City of Williamsbrug in James City County near Rt 199 and Longhill Rd. My commute seldom took more than 35-40 minutes. I was always careful to monitor news / traffic reports and take an alternative route 143 or 60 if there was a backup.

Kiln Creek is a great neighborhood with close proximity to City Center, nearby shopping and just about anything else you would need. It is next to the airport though if that's a concern.

What's your budget ?

Old 02-28-2010, 10:10 AM

I am actually going to rent for the first 6-12 months at least and then look to buy once my house is sold here in Louisiana.

Rental budget is really all over the board to be honest. I have to find a place that will take 3 dogs so really a house with a fenced yard would be ideal. Haven't nailed down the logistics to move yet so I haven't started "seriously" looking as I don't want to waste someones time if I'm not moving for another month to month 1/2 (still finalizing deal with new employer). Ideally I'd love to stay in the $1100 range, but realistically with my dog situation I am budgeting for $1500-$1600. Not thrilled about going that high but safety is most important and not having to leave a dog(s) behind is equally important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area