Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 03:01 PM

22 posts, read 56,621 times

Advertisements

I've seen a number of houses for sale off Waters Rd, and I'm looking for any information on that area...especially any problematic issues or disadvantages of living there. Anyone with knowledge of this area? Some of the subdivisions I've seen listed are:

Vintage Estates
Saddle Ridge
Rollingwood Estates
Forest Lakes

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 09:13 AM

14 posts, read 25,768 times
In general the entire area isn't to bad, and I'm looking at this from a family friendly point of view. The only thing I don't like is I can see that corridor of Cedar Rd (from Waters to Deep Creek) going down hill in the next 10 or so years.

I'm still of the mind that all the houses for sale right now are to expensive and further price declines are coming, but if you're forced to move you have to do what you have to do.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:17 AM

Thanks. We are definitely interested in a family friendly area...we'll get a feel for it once we're down there.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:28 PM

530 posts, read 1,159,639 times
We don't live in any of the subdivisions you mentioned, but we do live in this area of Chesapeake and love it. There are tons of kids and there isn't as much crime as other regions of South Hampton Roads. I also think it's a little prettier in this area than some others in the region. There are more trees and less ugly buildings (though there are still some ugly buildings--it's a shame the building standards in decades past were so bad!).

Old 03-05-2010, 01:42 PM

Thanks very much. We would like an area with plenty of kids (we have three kiddos, ages 6, 3, and 9 mos). Do you have kids at the local school (Great Bridge, I think)?

Old 03-05-2010, 03:34 PM

239 posts, read 631,263 times
I know Forest Lakes is pretty nice, it doesn't have that cold, cookie-cutter feel that is so common with neighborhoods in Chesapeake. However, the prices they are asking are laughable, most are in the $425K+ range. Not even close to the value that they should be, would have to imagine anything you buy this year will be worth much less next year.

Why are you moving here, military?

Old 03-05-2010, 05:25 PM

Yes, we're military - so no real choice as to when to buy. We've noticed that a number of houses are priced well above city assessed value for last year - which seems completely overpriced. I would imagine that sellers won't be happy with offers that are significantly lower than their list price - even though it may be a more accurate reflection of the true value. We'll see!

Old 03-07-2010, 02:27 AM

1 posts, read 2,093 times
Thumbs up Forest Lakes is Nice

I was looking for homes in the general area last month. Found a home for sale in the Forest Lakes neighborhood. I was very impressed with what I saw ... mature neighborhood with large trees. A significant driver in my decision to buy there was the strength of the schools. My kids will be going to Grassfield's High and from what I've heard from everyone who is familiar with that school, the school is great.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:56 AM

5 posts, read 8,454 times
Smile Homes in Chesapeake, VA

Hello
Not sure if you are looking to buy but we live on a cul de sac and our military neighbors are going to be renting out their beautiful 2 story home unless they could sell it. Market being like it is I doubt they'd get their money for it. Anyway. They have two boys under the age of 9 and those two boys are always playing with my son who is 8...they pretty much run the cul de sac. Great location in Fox Gate Quarter off of Butterfly. Lovely old trees, established neighborhood, well kept, sidewalks, fenced in back yard. Love the Great Bridge schools.
Let me know if you want the contact info as I do not think it has even been listed with a realtor as of yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area