U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-02-2010, 06:37 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
13 posts, read 21,370 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

What is life like living in a military town and not being apart of the military?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-02-2010, 07:48 PM
 
1,477 posts, read 5,647,536 times
Reputation: 1099
Quote:
Originally Posted by momurda54 View Post
What is life like living in a military town and not being apart of the military?
Not really sure I understand your question, yes this is a military area but the active military folks only make up about 10-15% of the total local population and with the various issues we have going on around the world a good percentage of them may be gone at any given time.....

So I guess it's kind of like living in Texas and not being a cowboy.....LOL
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 09:29 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
13 posts, read 21,370 times
Reputation: 13
LOL... okay I guess you are right. But what I was meaning is more 'would people fit in and still have a good quality of life in a military town like Norfolk, if not part of the military?' And let me be clear, nothing against militants! I just want to enjoy my city whereever we decide to go! Since I havent living in a town as such, I didnt knwo if other 'non-military' people had a disadvantage. Thats all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 10:51 PM
 
134 posts, read 516,758 times
Reputation: 43
You only really notice the military town aspect when you frequent places/events where 20 something males hang out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2010, 11:25 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
13 posts, read 21,370 times
Reputation: 13
Gotcha! Thank you! Could you look on my other post and see if you could help me out at all? I dont understand why posts like 'why do people stare at me so much in hampton roads' or 'doggie daycare' gets so much more attention than legit questions about moving to Norfolk, Va? (
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2010, 04:55 AM
 
Location: Va Beach
3,506 posts, read 12,793,945 times
Reputation: 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by momurda54 View Post
Gotcha! Thank you! Could you look on my other post and see if you could help me out at all? I dont understand why posts like 'why do people stare at me so much in hampton roads' or 'doggie daycare' gets so much more attention than legit questions about moving to Norfolk, Va? (
Because it's the same ol' same ol'. The forum was really developed to help those with valuable information, but....there are those that frequent to discuss the dismal way of life they have.

I am ex military and stayed here. Been here 25 years. I find the area very nice, where others' may not, or have relocated thinking it was a vacation they would be on...forever. I'm on travel quite a bit to other states and find that people here really shouldn't be complaining. I find it to be fun, have been on the piers when loved ones came home from deployment with family members in tears upon safe arrivals and being missed. I see alot of family at the parks, people utilizing outdoor facilities, picnicing and at the beach. We have the best of both worlds in Virginia. People in the military are people who live their lives like everyone else. They serve our country as their daily job and we (or most of us) are proud of that.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2010, 09:42 AM
 
3,848 posts, read 8,680,831 times
Reputation: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
The forum was really developed to help those with valuable information, but....there are those that frequent to discuss the dismal way of life they have.
I don't think that's really fair. Just because you like the area and others don't doesn't mean they don't have the right to state their opinion here. Many people, believe it or not, want to read both the good and the bad.

Do I think that some take it over the top and are dramatic? Yes, but to each their own.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2010, 12:52 PM
 
Location: Va Beach
3,506 posts, read 12,793,945 times
Reputation: 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I don't think that's really fair. Just because you like the area and others don't doesn't mean they don't have the right to state their opinion here. Many people, believe it or not, want to read both the good and the bad.

Do I think that some take it over the top and are dramatic? Yes, but to each their own.
It's a fair statemen! As stated by the mods on more than one forum.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2010, 03:15 PM
 
3,848 posts, read 8,680,831 times
Reputation: 2012
Well, if that's the case then some mods are really falling down on the job because I've seen negative opinions on places besides the HR forum.

It would be complete disaster to everyone if only the good was stated. People would be packing up the family minivan and moving to Watts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2010, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Va Beach
3,506 posts, read 12,793,945 times
Reputation: 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Well, if that's the case then some mods are really falling down on the job because I've seen negative opinions on places besides the HR forum.

It would be complete disaster to everyone if only the good was stated. People would be packing up the family minivan and moving to Watts.
Let's not get off topic. You should relate that to Rita, the mod of HR forum
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top