Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 08:10 PM

3 posts, read 26,734 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I have discussed moving to a beach area. I have came across Sandbridge beach in Virginia beach, Virginia and was wondering if anyone could tell me what it's like there? Is it just like Virginia Beach or more like the Outer Banks? Is it a good community? Of course we will visit before making our decision but I would like to know more about it before we even visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 06:53 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,331,039 times
Sandbridge is a family beach - nothing like Va Beach (no boardwalk or anything) and only kinda like OBX - but on a much smaller scale.

There is a store and a few other shops right at the main street area,but that is it. Sandbridge is very secluded and a trip to a bigger grocery store is a few miles away. There is one way in and out of Sandbridge and it is all residential leading into town.

If you like quiet for the school year, then Sandbridge is a good place - but it would mean longer trips to 'civilization'. During the summer it definitely gets crowded and getting around can take much longer - especially on the weekends when the visitors are coming in and going out.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:19 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,449,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
Sandbridge is a family beach - nothing like Va Beach (no boardwalk or anything) and only kinda like OBX - but on a much smaller scale.

There is a store and a few other shops right at the main street area,but that is it. Sandbridge is very secluded and a trip to a bigger grocery store is a few miles away. There is one way in and out of Sandbridge and it is all residential leading into town.

If you like quiet for the school year, then Sandbridge is a good place - but it would mean longer trips to 'civilization'. During the summer it definitely gets crowded and getting around can take much longer - especially on the weekends when the visitors are coming in and going out.
If you are the type that has to do everything in a hurry, Sandbridge is not for you. We love Sandbridge, it's laid back, it CAN get busy but I wouldn't compare it to the boardwalk in anyway. The beach itself does resemble OBX with a couple small businesses along the way, but be prepared to pay a little more than what you would pay for groceries "in town." We shop before we go out there.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:02 AM

1,477 posts, read 6,016,416 times
As stated Sandbridge is kind of out on its own away from everything else and totally opposite from the main Va Bch oceanfront area......but it is a very popular beach for the locals so it does get busy during the summer....... many of the houses are rentals so it can be pretty much a ghost town during the winter months. One of those one way in, one way out type of neighborhoods where if you need anything more then a cup of coffee or a loaf of bread you will have to travel 10-15 minutes to get it unless you are willing to pay the high prices at the local little grocery store......

If you do plan to move there check the area out very well, several places along the beach road are prone to flooding and over wash during even minor storms

Old 03-23-2010, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 10,841 times
Default Sandbridge is lovely!

Sandbridge is really nice but I found I can get a really nice home for a lot less money that's close enough to the beach where it's not a hassle to get there. I found a fairly new community over near Dam Neck that's perfect. The homes feel like nice beach houses for a fraction of the cash. Take a look: [url=http://www.stephenalexanderhomes.com/Neighborhoods/Mathews_Green.aspx]Mathews Green New Homes in Virginia Beach| Stephen Alexander Homes[/url]

Old 03-24-2010, 02:51 PM

1,700 posts, read 5,929,575 times
Sandbridge is actually the northern most part of the strip of land that becomes the Outer Banks, so it's fair to compare it to beaches like Nags Head, Corolla, etc though it's not as populated or touristy at the Outer Banks. I agree with those who said it's a little "detached" from the rest of the city. From where I lived in VB, Sandbridge was really out of the way, but it is a beautiful part of town and I would've loved to spend more time there. I think the seclusion is actually a good thing. It's kind of a hike to get to the busier parts of VB like Town Center, Lynnhaven, and Kempsville, but you have the Strawbridge and Dam Neck areas near by which have everything you need (entertainment, shopping, and so on). Sandbridge is good for anyone looking to live a laid-back, "life is good" lifestyle. If you can afford it, you can definitely do worse!

Old 03-25-2010, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xGrendelx View Post
Sandbridge is actually the northern most part of the strip of land that becomes the Outer Banks, so it's fair to compare it to beaches like Nags Head, Corolla, etc though it's not as populated or touristy at the Outer Banks. I agree with those who said it's a little "detached" from the rest of the city. From where I lived in VB, Sandbridge was really out of the way, but it is a beautiful part of town and I would've loved to spend more time there. I think the seclusion is actually a good thing. It's kind of a hike to get to the busier parts of VB like Town Center, Lynnhaven, and Kempsville, but you have the Strawbridge and Dam Neck areas near by which have everything you need (entertainment, shopping, and so on). Sandbridge is good for anyone looking to live a laid-back, "life is good" lifestyle. If you can afford it, you can definitely do worse!
True..pricing keeps the low life's from ruining a good thing. I've heard that said in other areas that are high dollar. We enjoy it out there and it's a great getaway. You can and do at times, wake up and say "life is good" when you see a crane or a blue heron sitting on a log, a turtle swimming in the water or watch a big bass jump. Sandbridge should not be ruined by vast amounts of cheap touristy souvenier shops. The locals beach...

Old 04-04-2010, 11:46 AM

10 posts, read 47,561 times
I love SANDBRIDGE!!! Very peaceful... and nicely tucked away from all the hustle and bustle of the city life. With all the new shops at Red Mill now, you're really not that far away from stores, groceries, restaurants, etc. so it much more convenient to live there than in the past. You can go to this website if you're looking for places to rent or buy in the Sandbridge area: Virginia Beach Va Vacation Rentals Hotels Condos Oceanfront They have alot of good information about Sandbridge Beach, and they recommend good companies to deal with.

I've lived near Sandbridge for over 25 years (about 5 minis away) and would highly recommend it to anyone. It's a dream world and offers so much... especially all the nature that surrounds it (ocean, beautiful back bay which is perfect for kayaking, Little Island Park/fishing pier, and of course, the masive National Back Bay Wildlife Refuge that borders the southend (that ends at the NC state line). Sandbridge is truly an awesome place to visit and live! Good Luck!
[/i]

Old 04-08-2010, 11:34 AM

7 posts, read 39,181 times
Personally I love the area - grew up in Tidewater and would move back in a second. As previous poster indicated Sandbridge can flood fairly quickly as can other areas.

Having grown up in the Tidwater area hurricanes dont bother me - respect them enough to know when to get out of Dodge for the duration. Having lived in non hurricane areas it surprised me how some people who have lived with earthquakes and tornadoes respond to the word "hurricane" - if storms /noreasters bother you Sandbridge might be a bit close to the action.

Me I would take it in a heartbeat .

Old 04-11-2010, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgjct View Post
Personally I love the area - grew up in Tidewater and would move back in a second. As previous poster indicated Sandbridge can flood fairly quickly as can other areas.

Having grown up in the Tidwater area hurricanes dont bother me - respect them enough to know when to get out of Dodge for the duration. Having lived in non hurricane areas it surprised me how some people who have lived with earthquakes and tornadoes respond to the word "hurricane" - if storms /noreasters bother you Sandbridge might be a bit close to the action.

Me I would take it in a heartbeat .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area