Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2006, 08:43 PM

3 posts, read 33,779 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering a move to the northern edge of suffolk county. we went to visit this weekend and looked at the harborview and riverfront communities. my husband has a job opportunty in hampton roads. Any advice on schools? communities? taxes? crime? shopping? other areas to consider? anything will help.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2006, 11:00 PM

2 posts, read 7,617 times
Hello. I have been doing "city" searches for a year now, and have been keying in on 3 states. NC, SC & VA. If you go to your search box on the computer and put in: VIRGINIA CITY PROFILES you can click on that site and it will give you all the info you requested. Of course this applies to NC & SC and other states too! I have found that some of the places I thought would be the best are not at all! For instance, I currently am in Myrtle Beach, SC and would have never guessed that Raleigh, NC had a third of all the crime in Myrtle Beach and Myrtle is around a 4th the size of Raleigh. Seems tourist places are a good place for criminals to hide. SC has the lowest education scores out of the 3 but the cost of living in SC in most parts is pretty good. NC seems to be the most expensive, but if I had school children NC and VA would be the place to go. Raleigh is wonderful but pricey. I don't know anything about Suffolk, can't help you there but the above mentioned site can help you. I wish you the best, right now Greenville, SC (in the foothills of the mountains) seems to be coming in at #1 for my needs and what I am looking for. There are plenty of jobs, it is pretty and the cost of living is awesome! (good hospitals too, don't forget to keep that in mind and if there is a church in the area that will fit your family). You can also check the online "Yellow Pages" of the city your interested in and surf the pages to see if your needs can be met in the area you choose.

Sorry this is so long, but after living in this area I have seen many folks make quick decisions only to regret them because "nobody told me that...bla, bla, bla" stuff. Moving is costly (duhh) and starting a new city is stressful enough without doing your homework first (not to mention plain stupid). Always ask God to lead you and He will make things clear. You are smart to come here to inquire, I did earlier today and have not received a coment but at least I hope I have helped you somewhat!

Peace!

Old 06-15-2009, 02:04 PM

167 posts, read 170,119 times
If you want a more relaxed, country setting, I would recommend Suffolk.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:10 PM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,982 times
You really cannot go wrong in that area. I live close by in the Churchland area of Portsmouth and we are in the area frequently. The crime is low in that area - all along RT 17 to the James River Bridge is a very nice, quite community. I understand the schools are pretty decent too.

That area is close to shopping and is easy access to the rest of Hampton Roads. The Monitor Merrimac is the easiest tunnel to commute thru out of the 4. There have a few threads recently on this area of Suffolk, so check them out.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:48 AM

48 posts, read 128,800 times
We live in the area you visited-Kempton Park subdivision-and we love it. Crime is not an issue and it really is a growing area. My husband works downtown Norfolk and the commute is not that bad compared to many other areas. Quiet area and plenty to do!

Old 06-16-2009, 12:39 PM

106 posts, read 383,991 times
Just to be clear, you were in Suffolk City. In the commonwealth you are either in a county or city, but you can't be in both (there are no 'county seats'). Suffolk has the lowest taxes of the cities in Hampton Roads, and decent schools. Crime in the Northern Suffolk area is not a big issue. THe schools are decent, with all the honors and AP classes, and all that, but it is very diverse. I have lived in Suffolk for 7 years and have really enjoyed it.

BTW, my house is for sale, if you're looking to move. PM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area