Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 06:02 AM

80 posts, read 205,005 times

Advertisements

I am trying to figure out who I should go with. I have been reading a lot about ATT not having that great of service out of Virginia Beach/Chesapeake. Verizon gets good reviews..what are your thoughts?

Also, for cable vs. satellite...is the weather in Hampton Roads a deal breaker as to which I should choose. In my previous homes, I had satellite and it was going out all the time because of rain. What do you have, which do you prefer, and what do you suggest? Thanks!

Last edited by steflee55; 03-11-2010 at 06:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 07:05 AM

78 posts, read 222,869 times
Came here with Verizon... switched to AT&T I havent noticed any differences in service....My Husband wanted a phone he could use when he travels... Verizon is great for stateside but not for international travel. He is military and can be alll over the place... and HATES if he cant call home on his cell. So we now have AT&T and no problems with coverage at this point...

We have Cox cable.. but I would love fios it just isnt in our area yet... I would never have a satelite dish style cable again after the problems we had with rain and wind always putting it out in our last place of residency...

Old 03-11-2010, 07:43 AM

127 posts, read 326,279 times
I know alot of people will say otherwise but I have T-Mobile and think they're awesome, they recently expanded their 3G network and I just upgraded to the blackberry bold 9700 with them and I have 3G in pretty much every part of HR. Also their plan prices are really fair and customer service is superior to Verizon (my former carrier)

Old 03-11-2010, 10:20 AM

44 posts, read 107,155 times
Default Verizon & Directv

We have Verizon Wireless, and even in the supposed "weak signal area", have had no problems. As far as cable vs. satellite, except for a 6-month stint with Cox while our house was being built (the quality and customer service reeked!), we've now been with Directv for 13+ years - we probably lose the signal once/summer, during a storm that we probably shouldn't be watching TV during anyhow.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:37 AM

14 posts, read 25,838 times
I've had Verizon Wireless since the early 2000's and the coverage beat what was then called Suncom, and I haven't had problems since.

A bunch of the higher ups in the company I work for jumped on the AT&T wagon to get an Iphone when that came out. A few months later they dropped and switched back to VZW; stating the coverage was horrible. I think the chief complaint was it worked fine while outside, but as soon as they went indoors the signal was lost. Most of these folks frequent between downtown Norfolk and the oceanfront.

As for cable - had DTV - and even during light showers we'd lose the signal. Tried Cox and the service would act all gittery like DTV during a rainstorm on clear days. Finally got Fios and it's great, plus it's cheaper than Cox (for us at least).

Old 03-11-2010, 10:47 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
Came here with Verizon... switched to AT&T I havent noticed any differences in service....My Husband wanted a phone he could use when he travels... Verizon is great for stateside but not for international travel. He is military and can be alll over the place... and HATES if he cant call home on his cell. So we now have AT&T and no problems with coverage at this point...

We have Cox cable.. but I would love fios it just isnt in our area yet... I would never have a satelite dish style cable again after the problems we had with rain and wind always putting it out in our last place of residency...
I have verizon and have no problems with international calling and I'm all over the place as well. We have the whole verizon package...great price, year 3!

Old 03-11-2010, 12:29 PM

80 posts, read 205,005 times
what is this FIOS? I haven't heard of it. Is it cable and internet thru verizon? What's it cost?

Old 03-11-2010, 12:32 PM

78 posts, read 222,869 times
Erma he will be out of the USA and needs an international ready device. He could CALL overseas from anywhere in the US when we had verizon but not call while in another country for example he couldnt use his verizon phone while in Panama. However others with AT&T could.

We just left Verizon a few months ago and when we went to them with international devices they said not yet.. Maybe in the future.. and that there was one world phone they offered but wouldnt recommend it with confidence.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:41 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,451,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steflee55 View Post
what is this FIOS? I haven't heard of it. Is it cable and internet thru verizon? What's it cost?
FIOS package is your home phone, internet and TV. 99 a month with unlimited long distance. We have the home phone for the folks and kids in case they call for emergencies during the nite.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:04 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,023 times
I changed from Cox to Fios and it does indeed rock. Their prices are better plus the color on my plasma is absolutely outstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area