U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 6,245 times

Advertisements

My husband is in the USMC and we just found out he's going to be stationed at Norfolk for the next 3 years. We have been told to exclude Norfolk area from our search, as it is high-crime. We have been looking for rental homes ($2000-$2500) price range in the Chesapeake Deep Creek..Olde Mill areas. We have 4 children (all 5 and under) and hope to be close to excellent schools. Our oldest in in K right now, and when we leave VA she will be in 3rd grade...so we're mainly looking at elementary schools. I hope to be in a newer subdivision, as in my experience, means a higher population of young kids. Sure it goes without saying, but we want a VERY safe area.
Any suggestions on areas...were also open to Virginia Beach areas.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 02:26 PM

161 posts, read 528,760 times
we live in the hickory area of chesapeake and love it. great schools, close shopping, friendly neighborhoods. the same can be said about great bridge too. when my husband got orders for nsa we did tons of research and settled here. norfolk was out of the question for our needs. virginia beach was nice (we looked specifically at the princess anne school district area) but it seemed that we got more for our money in chesapeake. if you have specific questions that i can answer about my area, please feel free to ask.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:45 PM

834 posts, read 4,646,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav175 View Post
My husband is in the USMC and we just found out he's going to be stationed at Norfolk for the next 3 years. We have been told to exclude Norfolk area from our search, as it is high-crime. We have been looking for rental homes ($2000-$2500) price range in the Chesapeake Deep Creek..Olde Mill areas. We have 4 children (all 5 and under) and hope to be close to excellent schools. Our oldest in in K right now, and when we leave VA she will be in 3rd grade...so we're mainly looking at elementary schools. I hope to be in a newer subdivision, as in my experience, means a higher population of young kids. Sure it goes without saying, but we want a VERY safe area.
You should be fine in that area. We lived in Deep Creek for six years and I felt very safe. We lived off Moses Grandy Trail which fed into Deep Creek Central Elementary. My kids weren't old enough at the time to attend that school, but I heard very positive things from neighbors.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:03 AM

3,506 posts, read 12,711,617 times
Hickory is nice, plus there is camping and fishing nearby for the kids.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:50 PM

17 posts, read 57,558 times
In Chesapeake, I would say check out Hickory/Great Bridge. I live in the Greenbrier area- which is a great area- but the schools aren't as good as Hickory.

I researched the area extensively before I moved here, and Deep Creek isn't all that safe. If you really want to live there you should check out deep creek south, which is below i-64 (it's safer). However, Hickory is your best bet in terms of safety.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:23 PM

3,506 posts, read 12,711,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgirlgraphics View Post
In Chesapeake, I would say check out Hickory/Great Bridge. I live in the Greenbrier area- which is a great area- but the schools aren't as good as Hickory.

I researched the area extensively before I moved here, and Deep Creek isn't all that safe. If you really want to live there you should check out deep creek south, which is below i-64 (it's safer). However, Hickory is your best bet in terms of safety.
I think Hickory is awesome. Not as desolate as it used to be, but I used to trout fish at the campground lake quite a bit. It has alot to offer with a few things nearby in that area now. Are we safe anywhere these days? A trip to the mall, the grocery, our own backyard? I think it's about choice and precautionary measures that ensures safety. Deep Creek isn't as bad as it used to be, nor is Greenbriar.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:19 PM

11 posts, read 38,596 times
We are in the same boat, we are relocating from Hawaii and we will be moving to the Chesapeake area in about a week and a half, we are looking to rent and want to keep living costs down but don't want to sacrifice safety or education....anymore suggestions? I have a 3rd grader and a pre-K do they offer a pre-K in the public schools there?

Old 03-22-2010, 09:10 AM

179 posts, read 454,725 times
I live in the Grassfield area, my kids go to Grassfield Elementary and we love it. Nice family friendly place.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:45 AM

834 posts, read 4,646,300 times
Marnay is right. Grassfield is a really nice, calm, peaceful area with plenty of trees, good schools, and is easily accessible to downtown Norfolk and I-64.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:47 PM

10 posts, read 43,183 times
Default Chesapeake is great for families

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav175 View Post
Chesapeake has great schools and deepcreek and old Mills is all about schools and familys, Deepcreek is a smaller school and its great , the kids are very spirited and the teachers and system are great too , small town feel and happening right here , and theres lots activities for kids anf families. the citizens of chesapeake are very involved in community and the counsels decisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area