U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 09:46 AM

179 posts, read 447,273 times

Advertisements

I live in the area off of Cedar Road near TCC, and we are desperate for non chain restaurants! The shopping center with the Wal-Mart or right on Cedar Rd. There are tons of homes and if folks had more choices here we wouldn't have to drive to Norfolk or even the Greenbrier area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 10:13 AM

3,848 posts, read 8,384,424 times
This isn't the shopping center, but it's right down the street and may be even better.
LoopNet - Harbour View Shoppes, Retail (Other), Harbour View Blvd. & Town Point Rd., Suffolk, VA

Hopefully that link will work you and you don't have to log in.

If that link does work, look at the picture and where you see Wal-Mart listed on the map, that was the area I originally was talking about (corner location by Ruby Tuesday)

I have to ask why you'd rather live in Chesapeake over Williamsburg? If I were going to stay in this area, Williamsburg would be one of the few places I would consider moving to. It is a beautiful area with lots to do. I really recommend looking at settling there if you're set on moving to this area

Old 03-20-2010, 10:58 AM

21 posts, read 28,989 times
marnay> i will look into that for sure. Thanks. I coming down there in a few weeks and I'm putting a list together of areas of interest. Its good to here people voicing there interest in independent type of restaurants. I want to know if there are enough people like yourself to support one.
coconut> Thanks for the lead. I will look into this. Ive been using loopnet and its helped me quite a bit. I'll also go back onto to google maps and zoom in.
To make along story short. I originally came to visit Va. from reading about Chesapeake, and what a great place for families it was. So we took a vaca with the kids, but to Williamsburg, for the attractions, and planned to day trip over to Chesapeake. We love both areas. Williamsburg is real nice, and it is a possibility for us. We've been coming back to this area for a few years now.
It comes down to this. We want to work and live on one side of the bridge. I dont want to commute over the bridge. So its either open up in Williamsburg and live there (or Newport News) or live and work either in suffolk or Chesapeake.
I'm a bit torn, but from what you've told me I'm favoring Williamsburg area, although I'm getting responses from people who say they need some good food in Chesapeake/Suffolk. I figure, it's worth a look, whether it be to cancel that area out or to look deeper into it.
Oh yeah. The schools in Chesapeake have a good rep., but I guess Williamsburg also. Housing costs in Williamsburg are higher, but there is also Newport News.
Thanks again for your advice and help.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:03 AM

First time I went to Italy I was a teen. I visited my aunt, who lived near Foggia. The first thing she made me were stuffed Zucchini blossoms. In my restaurant I have a huge pic of her at the sink washing the flowers from that day, about 22 years ago.
Now, whenever I can get my hands on them I'll run them as a special and they sell out immedietly.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:26 PM

78 posts, read 203,214 times
Oh southbound... they are just about the most delicious thing EVER... I was a skeptic at first.. but I took cooking classes while we lived there.. and this was on the menu... They are like flowers from heaven... )

The kids also have missed zepelinis....I think that is the spelling.. but fried dough balls with minced seaweed... OMG delicious...

Ok I think I need to make a trip back to Italy and eat some food and go get my 2 liter filled with wine from a farmer!!

Old 03-20-2010, 07:00 PM

Yes, some of us know there's a need for good food around here, but like I said before, there's a reason we have nothing but chains... other people don't realize that chains are NOT good food!

Williamsburg schools are better as is the quality of life. Try the Lightfoot area for cheaper housing, it's right outside of Williamsburg.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:32 PM

Great input again. I can't thank you enough coconut.
I'm going to look more into the Lightfoot area and see what I can find. There is a place I'm looking at in Williamsburg that may be good for us, as far as our restaurant goes.
The school factor is important, as I have four kids, aged 3-11.
Stay Tuned: yes Im familiar with Zepelinis, but only in Italy. I enjoyed Zampone while visiting a friend in Sulmona, in the baby alps, east of Rome. Those are the sausage made from a cleaned pigs foot.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:38 PM

oh yeah "stay tuned" .....only a 2 liter? We were doing the 5 liter bottles from my cousins many little 10 gallon wine barrels. Just less trips I guess. :-D

Old 03-21-2010, 12:11 PM

The cedar road area does look interesting in chesapeake.
....also, the lightfoot area looks like a possible option to house shop, and its so close to a spot I'm looking at for the buisness.
It's going to help so much when I come down there. I have a few starting points.

Old 03-21-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound chef View Post
The cedar road area does look interesting in chesapeake.
....also, the lightfoot area looks like a possible option to house shop, and its so close to a spot I'm looking at for the buisness.
It's going to help so much when I come down there. I have a few starting points.
If you want to message me the spot you're looking at (or post it out here if you don't mind) I might be able to tell you whether it's a good one or not

Since you're very concerned about the schools, I would stick to the Williamsburg area. Newport News schools aren't the best. You could send them to private school, if you wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area