U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 09:10 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,283,746 times

Advertisements

I was in VA Beach for the weekend and was shocked at how much traffic there was along the I-95S to I-295 to I-64E route. A trip that should have been 4 hours took over 7. Its been a rough trip every time we've done it lately with big backups around reliably at Fredricksburg, the 95/295 interchange around Richmond, and the Hampton Roads Tunnel. I lived in Norfolk for 8 years (left about 6 years ago) and frequently visited my parents in Northen VA and it was never nearly that bad back then. There were no accidents or major construction that I saw this weekend and although it was a very nice weekend... its not summer or a holiday.

Anyone have experience with alternate routes like going down the Eastern Shore over the Bay Bridge Tunnel? Its about 20 more miles and isn't on interstate but does it avoid the traffic? Is that just as bad now too? I used to drive that route frequently to NJ/NY to see my wife's family when we lived in Norfolk and it was somewhat annoying due to all the lights and speed limit changes, but traffic was rarely an issue. But again that was 6 years ago and it seems traffic is much worse now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 11:35 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,602,348 times
I would sometimes take I-64W to I-17N all the way up through the Northern Neck to the Bmore/D.C. area from Norfolk. It is a little longer of a drive but traffic is not nearly as bad as I-95. It is pretty much a gamble taking 95 even though it is usually faster.

My friends from Baltimore would sometimes take Rte 13 to VB to visit and they said it was not too bad of a drive.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:44 AM

358 posts, read 1,364,023 times
With the weather getting nicer, and as we are heading towards the summer months, that 95 or 64 corridor can be horrendous. Either take route 13 down the delmarva to Hampton Roads, or take 301 from Bowie to 17 and that will also take you to Hampton Roads. You will still need to take the HRBT to get to VA beach, but at least it is one backup

Old 03-22-2010, 12:38 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,415,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
With the weather getting nicer, and as we are heading towards the summer months, that 95 or 64 corridor can be horrendous. Either take route 13 down the delmarva to Hampton Roads, or take 301 from Bowie to 17 and that will also take you to Hampton Roads. You will still need to take the HRBT to get to VA beach, but at least it is one backup

My only caveat: 301 South in PG and Charles Counties during (and even after) evening rush hour SUX. I've traveled this way several times heading home to visit my parents in NN, and several times I've been stuck in suburbia.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:57 AM

3,140 posts, read 3,603,650 times
I have gone on route 13 many times going to NYC and CT. Never can remember hitting any traffic on the Eastern Shore. I think the first time we ever hit traffic was on the NJT.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:23 AM

162 posts, read 751,000 times
You can also drive very late at night to avoid heavy traffic OR very early in the morning. My sister left Finksburg, MD to drive here one time at like 5:30 am and got here in about 4.5 hours.

If you must travel during daylight, we have found Sunday to be a bit of a better travel day than Saturday.

Old 04-09-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjbward View Post
If you must travel during daylight, we have found Sunday to be a bit of a better travel day than Saturday.
Sunday's often no picnic for me... especially on I-95. It took me three hours to get from Fredericksburg to Baltimore this past Sunday (EASTER!)... and I hit Fredericksburg just after 9 PM.

Not the first time that's happened to me either.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:35 PM

12 posts, read 54,551 times
Not trying to hijack the post but sort of the same travel route question.....
To watch over 2 single elderly siblings living near each other in Florida,
I now need to drive from the Philadelphia Area to FL at least once a month.
The last few months I could not believe the traffic in the Washington,DC/Baltimore section of I95.

I really need another auto travel plan

Should I consider picking up 301 in MD and conneting with I95 further south of the mess?
(Detailed route suggestions would be greatly appreciated.PM if you desire)

Unfortunately:Flying is out of the question because of a health issue with ear equalization problems when I fly.
Thanks

Old 04-10-2010, 12:18 AM

From that far north, you could probably pick up 301 in Glasgow, Delaware and completely bypass Baltimore and construction on I-95.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:27 PM

290 posts, read 1,080,291 times
I live in NN..And you can literally drive str8 to Baltimore in about 3 hours on 13..Leave at night tho...I think it actually runs u into Waldorf, MD but once u get there its signs for Bmore, only about 20-30 mins away..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area