Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2010, 02:41 PM

14 posts, read 22,282 times

Advertisements

OK I have been in Suffolk VA for app 7 months now and still have not found work, I have had to retake completes cna class over and yes have to pass a state board here, even though i have been doing this type of work in group homes and assisted living in WI for 15 yrs plus....??? I have applied to other places too, Kmart, Target, T J Maxx.. but have not heard from any of them.I am 55 yrs...could this be it ya think. does anyone have any ideas who trains you for employment in a new field in VA???? getting very frustrated... ideas appreciated thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 08:05 AM

137 posts, read 203,588 times
I believe GEICO does.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:24 AM

129 posts, read 359,148 times
have u looked at any of the ship yards? they pretty much pay u to train.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,230 times
Default Cna

Mary, you can't consider yourself to be a CNA until you get certified by the state. With that said, look in the phone book for home health agencies in the Suffolk area. If you have your own transportion you shouldn't have a problem, as long as you have a clean record - NO ARRESTS

Old 04-19-2010, 12:41 PM

14 posts, read 22,282 times
Thank you much..i am certified in Wi...took class here and failed the first board test...picky i say. will retake it soon.....thinking of a different type job, not easy when you have no experience other than healthcare???

Old 04-21-2010, 11:13 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,195,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theberserkergang View Post
I believe GEICO does.

lol good luck getting a job there. If you pass their multiple personality tests, you might manage to get a call back, who also hits you with a personality test.

They only want very particuliar people at Geico, for all positions.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:55 PM

3 posts, read 5,739 times
Homeinstead Senior Care is a good agency franchises, look up in your area go to their website. They are a good company to work for.

Trust God he will always make away.
Prayer does work have patience and faith, believe that God wil help you.
God Bless you.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:07 PM

9 posts, read 22,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annointed09 View Post
Homeinstead Senior Care is a good agency franchises, look up in your area go to their website. They are a good company to work for.

Trust God he will always make away.
Prayer does work have patience and faith, believe that God wil help you.
God Bless you.

I agree

Old 04-24-2010, 12:43 PM

18 posts, read 56,746 times
Finding a job around here is going to be difficult. If you were certified, I would say it wouldn't be, but without it you are going to struggle.

Lay jobs won't accept you with your current history because once you complete your CNA or whatever, you will take a job in that field almost instantly, so they are prejudice against you for obvious reasons. It's expensive to hire people, something most people don't even understand.

I went through this similar thing. I worked as a software eng. at a company in Chesapeake, laid off in Jan 2009 and didn't begin working again until the first week in September of 2009. It's a bad job climate, and even worse for people that can't find jobs in their field, because you don't really have the luxury of leaving off your previous employment. I did find a job in my field, it just took a long time to get. McDonalds, Lowes, all of those types of jobs wouldn't even give me a single call back. I don't blame them, going from what I made to minimum wage would have really not even made a difference in my situation. My mortgage alone is more than 2 months of full-time minimum wage, but I had to keep applying to feel like I was doing something productive... I say all this to say, yes, it's hard for everyone and we feel for you.

Joel

Old 04-28-2010, 02:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,072 times
Finding a job around here is near impossible.

I visit careerconnection and careerbuilder daily. I've sent countless resumes out. I can't get a job to save my life.

I eventually just called ProTemps and they put me in a job, but it only pays 10.50 an hour.

Every day I'm trolling for another job. I have 9 years military experience and a bachelors degree, yet, I'm unhireable.

FML
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area