U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 09:32 PM

37 posts, read 128,259 times

Advertisements

Glad I came across this. I drove through burbage tonight (~7) to take a look at the area. It seemed ok, nothing glaringly good or bad, but definitely convenient to my office compared to my current commute. I currently live by the northern edge of Newport News by the park (a few miles past Denbigh, fairly quiet area).

Should I shy away from Burbage if I don't want to have hear about petty theft/break-ins in the neighborhood around me on a regular basis? The other thing that I'm worried about is shopping (groceries), seemed like only a food lion, harris teeter, and wal-mart close. We typically do all my shopping at either Fresh Market, Trader Joes, or the Williamsburg Farmers Market on weekends. Anything comparable within a reasonable distance in Suffolk?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 10:39 AM

1,123 posts, read 4,976,095 times
Just a little further from Burbage Grant is Bennett's Creek - right down 17. That might interest you more - or even HarborView. However, I would assume that Denbigh and Burbage Grant are actually pretty similar.

As far as shopping goes...the Harris Teeter is BRAND new and beautiful inside and is actually close in quality to Fresh Market. I was impressed (and I am not a Harris Teeter shopper). Down 17 near Bennetts Creek is a newer Farm Fresh - HUGE!!! Again, much, much better selection than a normal Farm Fresh. Even further down 17 (almost to the JRB) is a Bloom. I have not shopped there, but I think it is on the same scale.

Personally, I shop at Trader Joes and Fresh Market in Newport News when I am up there, but the other Trader Joes is in Va Beach.

I would take an easy drive to work every day over having close access to Trader Joes. It would not that far to go there every few weeks - I do it weekly!

Old 04-22-2010, 06:43 PM

3,848 posts, read 8,382,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcaleman View Post
Glad I came across this. I drove through burbage tonight (~7) to take a look at the area. It seemed ok, nothing glaringly good or bad, but definitely convenient to my office compared to my current commute. I currently live by the northern edge of Newport News by the park (a few miles past Denbigh, fairly quiet area).

Should I shy away from Burbage if I don't want to have hear about petty theft/break-ins in the neighborhood around me on a regular basis? The other thing that I'm worried about is shopping (groceries), seemed like only a food lion, harris teeter, and wal-mart close. We typically do all my shopping at either Fresh Market, Trader Joes, or the Williamsburg Farmers Market on weekends. Anything comparable within a reasonable distance in Suffolk?
No Fresh Market or Trade Joes here. NN is the closest ones to Suffolk.

I wouldn't look in Harbourview, but I would look at the Riverfront. (Note- Harbourview is the general area and the "Harborview Golf Villages" is the original neighborhood of Harbourview. These are big vinyl Victorians and people don't take very good care of their homes in there.) The Riverfront is across from the Harris Teeter (you'll see the lighthouse statue and SunTrust Bank at the main entrance) that's much nicer and people in there take better care of their property. Also included in the Riverfront is further down Harbourview Blvd, you'll see a giant Townbank complex as well as the fairly new Riverstone Chop House.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:34 PM

3,666 posts, read 5,207,876 times
I actually rent in Burbage Grant.

It has so far been quite safe in our area, with no crime I can discern but in all fairness it is very close to a somewhat sketchy area of Portsmouth. You *could* walk in from that sketchy area, it would be quite a hump. And someone here for bad reasons would stand out like a sore thumb.

I absolutely *love* the commute to the Peninsula from here. MMBT has been a dream.

No kids in elementary age, so I can't address that here.

If you're looking to buy, I can tell you the rental I have has been an absolute nightmare in terms of construction quality. Something goes substantially bad on the house nearly every month-wiring, siding, plumbing, etc. Never very expensive to fix, but be aware of it-to the point I would certainly NOT buy in B. Grant without looking extremely hard and ruling out whoever built this house, even if we do buy elsewhere in Western Branch (which we are considering).

Old 04-24-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
If you're looking to buy, I can tell you the rental I have has been an absolute nightmare in terms of construction quality. Something goes substantially bad on the house nearly every month-wiring, siding, plumbing, etc. Never very expensive to fix, but be aware of it-to the point I would certainly NOT buy in B. Grant without looking extremely hard and ruling out whoever built this house, even if we do buy elsewhere in Western Branch (which we are considering).
We'll see a lot more of this in the future. I can tell you from first hand experience that new homes around here are built like crap.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:18 AM

2 posts, read 8,543 times
Unfortunately, no super cool places to grocery shop...used to live in Wmsburg, loved the fresh market, trader joe's, even ukrops....still, there's more than the food lion, wmart, and teeters. There's a very nice Farm Fresh on 17/shoulders hill. The service is usually impeccable. Super friendly. There's an older on in western branch which is just ok. There's also a kroger 10 minutes from here...in portsmouth. They have a really great produce section and LOTS of organics. The farmers market is really not that great here and it's all the way in downtown suffolk...apparently suffolk is forcing participants to purchase very expensive insurance to participate and that holds down the number of vendors. There are produce stands and a farmers market right around chesapeake square market though....
also, when i suggested harbourview....i meant riverfront as well....that whole area is kinda harbour view...
also, again, stay to the right hand side of the road if you do burbage grant....unless you're back by elementary school, which is fine.
as lame as this sounds, i'm super excited about the new panera....i've been wanting a panera....yummmmmm.
also, a call to the school board informs me that redistricting will happen downtown and around schools which may possibly close due to budget cuts, but no one is talking about any changes to northern shores lines anytime in the foreseeable future....still gotta say the middle school is not fabulous.
i concur with the other writer that drove by in the evening....drive thru on a friday or sat night, it is what it is. different neighborhoods within burbage have a different vibe. my little niche is full of jogging military folks, people walking dogs, pushing strollers, grilling, mowing grass....pretty normal, boring stuff...blissfully boring, just how i like it....
not looking forward to the garage sale day when all the strange people speed thru the neighborhood (once every spring and fall), but it's only one day and all the neighborhoods 'round here seem to do it...i hear you can get good deals if this is your kind of thing.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:06 PM

I just noticed the new Panera going in. I've tried to avoid WM lately so I haven't gone over there.

It should be nice when it opens in what, 4 days now? Much better than the place that was there, whatever it was. I went in there once and walked out, disgusting looking and only about 5 menu selections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area