U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:39 AM

98 posts, read 165,771 times

Advertisements

THank you UH - i seem to be able to count on you for some darned good information. (What brought you back from Hawaii, anyway?)

I get the HR in HRBT - but what does the BT stand for?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 11:34 AM

1,210 posts, read 2,367,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Where'sHome? View Post
THank you UH - i seem to be able to count on you for some darned good information. (What brought you back from Hawaii, anyway?)
Not to knock the place, because I had a lot of fun there, but I thought Honolulu was overpriced, overcrowded, and too hot honestly. Overall, the people were pretty nice, but not as nice as they think they are... and it is getting way too territorial out there for my taste. I missed home, missed my family, missed my friends, missed the seasons, missed road trips, missed the open spaces, missed seeing deer on the golf course and ducks in the ponds, missed the good barbeque, cornbread, beans and my mom's Itallian cooking. I guess everyone has a way of doing things that they are accustomed to and to me HR feels like home.

Quote:
I get the HR in HRBT - but what does the BT stand for?
Bridge Tunnel. MMBT = Monitor Merrimac Bridge Tunnel

The Navy requires access to the bay/ocean so we have tunnels going under the water that allow them to pass over. My stepdad told me that they do that instead of bridges so that if the tunnels get bombed the boats can still get through. He is retired army so I tend to believe him but I can't verify that.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:54 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,426,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
Bridge Tunnel. MMMBT = Monitor Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel
Fixed.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:11 PM

371 posts, read 1,095,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post

The Navy requires access to the bay/ocean so we have tunnels going under the water that allow them to pass over. My stepdad told me that they do that instead of bridges so that if the tunnels get bombed the boats can still get through. He is retired army so I tend to believe him but I can't verify that.
I thought the tunnels were there instead of just bridges so that traffic did not have to halt for draw bridges to open up for all of the ships coming and going?

Old 05-06-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
Fixed.
Doh, you got me on that one. Nobody calls it that... but it is the proper name.

Old 05-06-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Cin! View Post
I thought the tunnels were there instead of just bridges so that traffic did not have to halt for draw bridges to open up for all of the ships coming and going?
According to the article:

"The Hampton Roads area has very wide bodies of water dividing the area, and also historically has the largest naval installation in the world. A highway crossing across a one-mile or greater width body of water, with a major shipping channel to cross, normally utilizes a high-level suspension bridge design like the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge in New York City or the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, with about 180 feet of vertical navigational clearance, and at least 1,200 feet of horizontal navigational clearance; some of these bridges have a cable-stayed or cantilever main span, but still with the navigational clearances that I listed. Because of the high volume of warship traffic, the U.S. Navy has historically requested that highway crossings downstream of Norfolk/Hampton Roads naval installations be in a tunnel, so that no high-level bridges would exist that could be attacked and destroyed in wartime or due to a terrorist attack, and block the shipping channel for perhaps weeks or even months before the wreckage could be removed."

Bridge-Tunnel Facilities in Virginia

Old 05-07-2010, 01:14 PM

Thank you for the clarification on the HRBT - makes sense! We love the bridge/tunnel down there. Love the water....I just don't want it in my house.

As far as Hawaii - I have heard just what you described. And I get missing family and everything you've come to know and love. How did you end UP in Hawaii, then? For some reason I thought you moved with your family.....

Thank you for all the info....keep it coming!

Old 05-07-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
How did you end UP in Hawaii, then? For some reason I thought you moved with your family.....

Thank you for all the info....keep it coming!
Spent my high school and undergrad in the HR area, after I finished my undergrad I wasn't ready to settle down yet. I liked to surf, liked "brown-skinned" women, and wanted some adventure so I packed up and moved out to Honolulu. Landed with no friends, no job, no car, a duffle bag full of clothes and about $1500 to my name. It was really hard at first, and I almost came back after a few months of working at a driving range picking up golf balls (yeah, the guy in the cart that everyone tries to hit) and living in a week-to-week apartment full of ex-cons... but I didn't want to come crawling back home with my tail between my legs so I stuck it out and eventually was able to find a decent job, sustain myself, and then thrive. I made great friends, surfed perfect waves, got a masters degree, met my wife, had two good jobs, and got a whole lot of life experience. Spent 7 years out there almost to the day, we may still go back someday if my wife really misses home but for now it is nice to be back where I am from for a while.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:51 AM

That's a great life story. How does your wife like HR? (Being a transplant like we may be....)

Old 05-08-2010, 10:02 PM

Quote:
That's a great life story. How does your wife like HR? (Being a transplant like we may be....)
Likes my family, likes my friends, likes our neighborhood, likes the travel options we have, likes the quality of life we have compared to Honolulu ($$$$). Misses the Hawaii beaches, misses the asian food, misses her family, misses her friends, dislikes how spread out the area is and how we have to drive everywhere. Overall she is happy and thinks we made a good decision moving here but there are certainly trade-offs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area