Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 12:56 PM

3 posts, read 10,266 times

Advertisements

My husband was hired as a professor at Christopher Newport University, and we are trying to decide where to live. I've read a lot of posts here, and am mostly confused. My husband visited and thinks we'll really like area, and everyone I've talked to in person thinks we'll love it. It's a little disheartening to hear the negative opinions of the area here, but I'm hoping someone will have some constructive insights for us!

We're not McMansion people at all... more like 50's ranchers or modern architecture in established non HOA neighborhood type of people. If that makes sense. We're planning on renting a house for at least a year before buying, and we don't have any kids yet. Just a dog. We're looking for something in $1000-1300 / month range for a 3 bedroom.

We would love to live close to the University (I don't have a job there yet- so I don't know where I will be commuting to), but are there any good affordable neighborhoods near CNU? I've looked at some houses near Colony Road (both north and south of). What do you think?

Also, what about south Hampton... I think it might be called the Crowne Pointe area?? That was recommended to us.

Any other neighborhoods (streets?) I should look into?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 01:26 PM

140 posts, read 540,657 times
I think you should be able to rent a house nearby for that price. I did a quick look on the MLS and found 9 rental homes priced under $1300 in the surrounding neighborhoods. Of course if you spend a little more, the options increase.

Some neighborhoods immediately surrounding CNU are Sweetbriar, Glendale, Old Farm Estates, Winterhaven, Lakeside, Riverside, Hidenwood, Edgewood and Beverly Hills. You will find a mix of ranches and two-story homes in these neighborhoods.

Crown Point in Hampton isn't very close to CNU (compared to the neighborhoods listed above), but if you like that area you might want to look in Old Wythe (or Olde Wythe) which is next to Crown Point. I didn't see any rentals currently listed in the MLS in Crown Pointe.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,429 times
Hi The Hidenwood and Glendale area are really great neighborhoods close to CNU. I am up near Colony now and wish I were back in Hidenwood. HOA's are awful, I live in an HOA neighborhood and they are not the best to have. Good Luck to you two.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:12 AM

Thanks for the Neighborhood list, Brian. That'll be helpful when we visit. It's hard to know what the neighborhoods are by just looking at Google Maps.

And thanks NewportBlues for the feedback about living up near Colony. I've looked for homes in Hidenwood, but I haven't found much. I hope when I go up there I'll be able to drive around and find something.

Any other suggestions out there? Where would you live? I don't mind a 15 minute drive if it's a neighborhood better suited for us. I know some faculty live close by, and others live in Williamsburg and then some live in Hampton.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:50 AM

254 posts, read 1,207,751 times
ALSmith, there's some incredible properties in the CNU area. I'd love to own one of the Waterfront properties near the Mariner's Museum Park and Lake Maury but they would obviously be over budget. My house is 5minutes down HWY17 (J. Clyde Morris Blvd/G. Washington Mem. Hwy) across the Yorktown county line. I like the York schools better than Newport News, but I live in an HOA community with monthly fees and community rules/restrictions. I like the CNU area in the summer when there are live bands nearby at Port Warwick (Weds), Mariner's Museum (Thu) and Oyster Point Town Center (Fri). The CNU Ferguson Center also has several shows and events all year long.
Even if you don't live in the CNU area, there are plenty of great communities all over the Peninsula. I recommend Williamsburg and York/Poquoson areas if you don't stay near CNU. Talk with Brian or one of the real estate folks and they should help find available homes and rentals.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:36 AM

44 posts, read 107,181 times
Brian and NewportBlues have the best information (no disrespect meant to the other posters!). From Hilton to Maxwell Lane, you can reach CNU without ever getting on Warwick, saving you a lot of traffic/light waiting time. We live a little west/north of CNU, off of Deep Creek Rd. It's about a 3 minute drive for us, tops. Hiden Blvd area puts you even closer to CNU, and seems to have the look/feel that you're looking for. On the map, we're talking from Hilton Village to Maxwell Lane. Stay away from east of Mercury, and away from north of Oyster Point Boxley - there's trouble in those areas... Good Luck! Hope this helps!

Old 04-29-2010, 12:41 PM

361 posts, read 1,465,529 times
Definitely look in the CNU area....I am just repeating what the others have said, but Hilton to Maxwell is the way to go if you want to be close to CNU without dealing with Warwick blvd. Parts of Denbigh are nice, such as Denbigh Plantation, and anything along the water. The closer you are to Warwick in Denbigh the shadier it is. Other areas that are nice are Colony, Kiln Creek, Port Warwick

Old 04-29-2010, 01:07 PM

Awesome! Thanks everyone! I'm feeling much better about our visit to find a house now. I thought that being close to CNU was the way to go, but then I started doubting myself... but the feedback here has reaffirmed my initial instinct. Now that I can see the streets y'all have mentioned, I have a better feel for where these neighborhoods are- and which ones to avoid!

Old 05-03-2010, 09:56 PM

25 posts, read 54,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damian View Post
Definitely look in the CNU area....I am just repeating what the others have said, but Hilton to Maxwell is the way to go if you want to be close to CNU without dealing with Warwick blvd. Parts of Denbigh are nice, such as Denbigh Plantation, and anything along the water. The closer you are to Warwick in Denbigh the shadier it is. Other areas that are nice are Colony, Kiln Creek, Port Warwick
No one can get into Denbigh Plantation, Kiln Creek or Port Warwick for anywhere near $1300/mo. More like $2000 - $3000+ for those areas.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:05 PM

25 posts, read 54,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSmith View Post
My husband was hired as a professor at Christopher Newport University, and we are trying to decide where to live. I've read a lot of posts here, and am mostly confused. My husband visited and thinks we'll really like area, and everyone I've talked to in person thinks we'll love it. It's a little disheartening to hear the negative opinions of the area here, but I'm hoping someone will have some constructive insights for us!

We're not McMansion people at all... more like 50's ranchers or modern architecture in established non HOA neighborhood type of people. If that makes sense. We're planning on renting a house for at least a year before buying, and we don't have any kids yet. Just a dog. We're looking for something in $1000-1300 / month range for a 3 bedroom.

We would love to live close to the University (I don't have a job there yet- so I don't know where I will be commuting to), but are there any good affordable neighborhoods near CNU? I've looked at some houses near Colony Road (both north and south of). What do you think?

Also, what about south Hampton... I think it might be called the Crowne Pointe area?? That was recommended to us.

Any other neighborhoods (streets?) I should look into?

Thanks!

I lived off Colony for many, many years. There are some older, quiet neighborhoods that you might find that you like. Unfortunately crime has started to rise over the past few years and I've seen undesirables cruising the streets.

If CNU is your workplace, I would suggest looking to the other way down Warwick towards Hilton Village. It's an older part of the city and I think there are a lot of interesting/educated people living there. These are the old vanguard of NN. Denbigh is chalk full of idiots and there is very little going on there unless going to Walmart is considered fun. I'm not sure of the prices in Hilton Village, but my suspicions are that you're experience may be much more enjoyable if you look there.

Making friends is the key to a decent experience living in Newport News. If you don't have friends in this city, NN will drive you stir crazy as there nothing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area