U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:46 PM

2,040 posts, read 3,602,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I hope it all goes well, Emerald.

I saw McDonnell in the paper (the article was right below the one about the massive spill) saying even with this disaster, we still must drill here.

Remember to write, join groups and ensure VA doesn't drill off the coast. It's sad enough the LA spill has a chance to affect us, but just imagine how awful it would be if it was off our coast.

Thanks, Coconut. I am hoping for the best but it does not look good. I am going to volunteer with cleaning the birds, that's the least I can do.

I sure hope that you guys don't get any of the spill up the East Coast. I have read that could be a possibilty with the Gulf Stream taking it down through the Keys up into the Atlantic. I have read so many different senarios so it is hard to tell how this will pan out.

I always read the Pilot online and read that the new Gov wants to proceed with drilling even after this catastophe.

Looks like my summer is screwed here in FL.

Sorry for turning the thread into another topic.... Now back to the regularly scheduled program.

Last edited by emeraldgirl; 05-03-2010 at 01:45 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 08:21 PM

'Scenario'....so upset, I apparently can't even spell.

Last edited by emeraldgirl; 05-03-2010 at 09:23 PM..

Old 05-03-2010, 10:40 PM

25 posts, read 49,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annointed09 View Post
I've moved here 2008 and yes I am blessed, but at times I feel like I am lacking motivation. I feel like this city im living in called Newport news can be depressing at times. Like it's missing something joy perhaps. I struggle with the fact that maybe cause it has alot of retirees and their minds aren't on doing things or enjoying life. I like to write, and I looked at my stories and the dates were, last year and when I first came here, it's like I have writers block. Don't get me wrong one thing I love about Newport news is the green, the land and trees but how long is that going to last?everytime I turn around they are knocking down trees and building apartments, it's like cramming a whole bunch of people in a small apartment. Is it me or this city?
My advice is to get out of there as soon as possible. There is nothing there and you will totally miss out on a decent quality of life if you stay. I lived there for many years and recently returned for a six months stint. There are no redeeming qualities about that city. There are no good restaurants, there is no good shopping, there are no interesting activities, there are few interesting people and there is absolutely zero night life. Unless something important (such as a spiritual reason) has you tied to NN, get out! There are many nice US cities to life in where you can experience life.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:06 AM

3,506 posts, read 12,558,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I hope it all goes well, Emerald.

I saw McDonnell in the paper (the article was right below the one about the massive spill) saying even with this disaster, we still must drill here.

Remember to write, join groups and ensure VA doesn't drill off the coast. It's sad enough the LA spill has a chance to affect us, but just imagine how awful it would be if it was off our coast.
The Gulf spill is due to poor engineering practices. BP did not do what they were supposed to do when this rig was built. Drilling off the coast will/should require micro-managing to make sure that engineering/building practices are followed to the letter. It gets tiring hearing how these guys cut corners to save money, yet in the long run (which I believe the visioner was blind as a bat) did not take into account that something could happen.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
The Gulf spill is due to poor engineering practices. BP did not do what they were supposed to do when this rig was built.
Yeah, and now they are offering $25 million to each state affected by the spill..... That is just a drop in the bucket.

I have not smelled any oil yet and the water in the Gulf does not look any different this morning. I would like to think we will come out of this unscathed but that is just crazy talk.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMERALDGIRL View Post
Yeah, and now they are offering $25 million to each state affected by the spill..... That is just a drop in the bucket.

I have not smelled any oil yet and the water in the Gulf does not look any different this morning. I would like to think we will come out of this unscathed but that is just crazy talk.
Unfortunately, the marine life will suffer. I understand they are offering big money to people for helping in the cleanup. Maybe the unemployed can find a way down there to earn a little bit. Valdez spill is nothing compared to this and many lives were lost during the fire/collapse. Any spill is bad, but the flow of oil coming out of the earth will not be completely stopped for some time.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:21 PM

1,210 posts, read 2,354,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babushca View Post
There are no good restaurants, there is no good shopping, there are no interesting activities, there are few interesting people and there is absolutely zero night life. Unless something important (such as a spiritual reason) has you tied to NN, get out! There are many nice US cities to life in where you can experience life.
If restaurants, shopping, and night life are what you consider "experiencing life" then I agree... NN is not the place for you. Seems to be a trend on here, folks that come from and enjoy urban areas with trendy bars, restaurants, and boutiques are not a fan of hampton roads. Not surprising considering most of the area is a big suburb.

Personally, I only shop when I need something and would rather bbq in my friends back yard than go sit in a bar/restaurant... so I could care less about the bars, restaurants, and shops. But to each his/her own.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:27 PM

25 posts, read 49,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
If restaurants, shopping, and night life are what you consider "experiencing life" then I agree... NN is not the place for you. Seems to be a trend on here, folks that come from and enjoy urban areas with trendy bars, restaurants, and boutiques are not a fan of hampton roads. Not surprising considering most of the area is a big suburb.

Personally, I only shop when I need something and would rather bbq in my friends back yard than go sit in a bar/restaurant... so I could care less about the bars, restaurants, and shops. But to each his/her own.
How about living museums, live theater, art galleries, botanical gardens, professional sports, watching how chocolate is made, wine tastings, visit Chinatown (or other interesting ethnic area)??? Or do you do that all in your backyard too?

If you enjoy NN, more power to you; but don't try to up-sell that dump to others as something it's not.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:23 PM

1,210 posts, read 2,354,986 times
Quote:
How about living museums, live theater, art galleries, botanical gardens, professional sports, watching how chocolate is made, wine tastings, visit Chinatown (or other interesting ethnic area)??? Or do you do that all in your backyard too?

If you enjoy NN, more power to you; but don't try to up-sell that dump to others as something it's not.
Yikes, unhappy and angry relocation forum members are all over the place this week. LOL I didnt realize I was trying to sell the area, but since you laid down the challenge I feel like I should respond.

Let me go down your list:

Living Museum
VLM | Home

Art Gallery
http://www.chrysler.org/

Live Theater
Virginia Stage Company

Live Opera
Virginia Opera: Venues: Norfolk (Harrison Opera House)

Botanical Garden
Home*|*Norfolk Botanical Garden

Professional Sports
Home | Norfolk Tides Home

Wine Tasting
Williamsburg Winery and Wedmore Place

Chocolate Factory
Schakolad Chocolate Factory in Virginia Beach, Virginia

Ethnic Minority Events
Philippine Cultural Center of Virginia
Newport News Greek Festival
African-American cultural festival

Like I said, if you are into urban yuppie socialite culture you will probably not enjoy the area... go to NYC, San Fran, Chicago, Boston, etc... The person asked if it is them or the area, I am just proposing that it is THEM IN THIS AREA and that there is no problem with either in and of themselves. And by the way, since I have good friends from India, China, and the Phillipines who come over to BBQ then I guess you could say I do have ethnic events in my backyard. haha

Old 05-06-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:

You no longer live in this area and claim to stop by "occassionally." You sound like a disgruntled employee trying to drive away people who may be happy in your unhappy situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area