Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 3,437 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are looking for recommendations on neighborhoods in Newport News or Hampton. Any recommended areas for a couple in their 20's? We are looking to rent an apartment in a safe area that also has shops and restaurants. I'm moving from Philadelphia, so I'm more accustomed to an urban environment. Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 02:27 PM

361 posts, read 1,465,032 times
check out Port Warwick, City Center or Villages of Stony Run in NN; check out Peninsula Town Center in Hampton. These are all mixed use developments with shops and restaraunts that you are looking for.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:46 PM

25 posts, read 54,002 times
DON'T DO IT!! NN is an extremely depressing and boring city. If you are used to an urban environment like Philly, this city will leave you sick. There is no where to have a nice dinner and go walking. Most of the people in NN will go to the mall if they want to walk at night. There is literally no where else to go. Port Warwick is tiny and feels so contrived. There is nothing in NN but strip malls and 7-11's. I would highly encourage you to spend a week there before making any commitments. If you have to move to this area, look at Williamsburg. It has some character ... NN has nothing.

Old 05-27-2010, 06:24 PM

7 posts, read 9,904 times
Default Good advice, but...

I too think that you should spend a few days in ANY PLACE you plan to move. NN isn't Philly, or New York, or El Paso, or Walla Walla, that is true. It has it's own identity. Too many strip malls and 7-11s? Agree. Show me a suburban area that isn't that way today. I like it here in the Hilton Village neighborhood. It is more urban than most of the others in the city. If you really want the (good) urban life and you can handle the commute through the tunnel(s), consider Ghent/West Ghent on the edge of downtown Norfolk, or downtown proper since there has been a lot of new housing put in during the last decade. Full of young singles and young couples. Williamsburg has many fine areas too, but it is just a little too far from everything else for my taste. Good luck.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:36 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,619,865 times
Friends are just moving to City Center at Oyster Point and they are really excited about it. Urban environment means a little different thing around here than it probably does in Philly but this is a pretty nice mixed-use area for a young couple with restaurants, shops, and places to walk that is also within 5 miles or so from the interstate, patrick henry mall, noland trail, CNU, and various museums as well. It is not complete yet, but is an up-and-coming area in the overall plans for the city.

City Center at Oyster Point - Newport News, Virginia

Old 05-28-2010, 06:21 PM

17 posts, read 63,716 times
you can check out chapman apartments at the PTC. shops, restaurants, wineries.

Luxury Apartments | Peninsula Town Center | Hampton VA | The Chapman Apartment

or you can check out downtown hampton. like the others said, port warwick, city center, stony run, hilton village are all good choices too.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:26 PM

21 posts, read 66,177 times
From my opinion (maybe I'm biased because I grew up there), it's not really a great place to move to - there's not much to do here unless you have decent money (the stuff in city center is way overpriced) or want to go across the water to VA beach. Newport news is, frankly, a fairly boring place - yeah, you can go hike, or visit the museums, but you can only do that so many times. There is some interesting stuff across the water, but it can be quite a haul to get out there as well, especially with military and commuter traffic.

If you're dead set on moving out here, hilton village is a nice place. I grew up in the Glendale area (between Todd's Stadium and CNU, a middle class fairly quiet neighborhood) and like it fine, but that's really more along the line of houses than apartments/condos.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:47 PM

25 posts, read 54,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHgrad View Post
Friends are just moving to City Center at Oyster Point and they are really excited about it. Urban environment means a little different thing around here than it probably does in Philly but this is a pretty nice mixed-use area for a young couple with restaurants, shops, and places to walk that is also within 5 miles or so from the interstate, patrick henry mall, noland trail, CNU, and various museums as well. It is not complete yet, but is an up-and-coming area in the overall plans for the city.

City Center at Oyster Point - Newport News, Virginia
UHGrad - You are such a liar. There are only a few reasons I can imagine for your strong opinions and constant presence in promoting the Peninsula on this forum:
  1. You're a realtor
  2. You or your family owns a business in the area
  3. You've never been out of the area and don't know any better

There is nothing for a young couple to do in Newport News and they will find you out when they visit. City Center at Oyster Point is urban? 5 restaurants and a Banana Republic the size of a bathroom? Don't confuse your group of friends and little activities with living in a fun city. Newport News is a cemetery and it should be completely tilled-under and started anew.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:18 PM

154 posts, read 388,381 times
I grew up on the Peninsula. Newpot News/Hampton are not bad places, and have actually been improving, but I cannot recommend them for a young person to move it. There's nothing to do other than shop at big box stores. Cost of living is high in comparison to the low local salaries.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:27 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,619,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babushca View Post
UHGrad - You are such a liar. There are only a few reasons I can imagine for your strong opinions and constant presence in promoting the Peninsula on this forum:
  1. You're a realtor
  2. You or your family owns a business in the area
  3. You've never been out of the area and don't know any better

There is nothing for a young couple to do in Newport News and they will find you out when they visit. City Center at Oyster Point is urban? 5 restaurants and a Banana Republic the size of a bathroom? Don't confuse your group of friends and little activities with living in a fun city. Newport News is a cemetery and it should be completely tilled-under and started anew.
Didnt say it was urban, I said urban means a different thing around here and that given their list of desires I thought that was one of the better fits for them in the area.. There is an area to walk, concerts on the fountain, coffee shops, restaurants etc... I put a link there so they can judge for themselves, Im not trying to trick anybody. Where was there a lie and why are you so angry?

Patrick Henry mall IS just up Jefferson, Noland Trail IS just down J Clyde by CNU. The living museum IS right there? How am I a liar?

My only real reason on the forum is boredom at work while my programs are running... and your assumptions couldn't be further from the truth. I am a scientist and I've lived in 7 states. Grrrrrrrrrr, relax. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area