U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 09:22 PM

7 posts, read 19,017 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I was in a somewhat similar situation last month (28, single, moving for work), and ended up choosing Ghent over Freemason. I don't know a whole lot about Norfolk, so my perspective is based only on the two Saturday afternoons I spent looking around town for an apartment.

Both areas seem pretty safe. Freemason itself is very quiet and kind of secluded. It's only a few blocks, with cobblestone streets, and it's pretty much all residential. Downtown is only a couple minutes walk away with Granby St and the mall and whatever else is down there.

Ghent is a bit bigger and there are sections that are purely residential, but there are also more bars and restaurants actually mixed into the neighborhood.

Neither area is exactly city-living, especially since you'd be coming from NYC. I've lived most of my life in Miami, and this year I've been in DC, so honestly on my first look around I was somewhat underwhelmed by Ghent, but I was better able to appreciate it the second time around. I think it has a little more charm than the downtown area. I like that it feels more like a complete neighborhood/community, as opposed to Freemason, which felt kind of isolated and was just too quiet for me, even though downtown was only a couple blocks away. I walked around Freemason for about an hour, and the only people I saw were a couple of older gentlemen walking their dogs. I've heard that both spots have a bunch of young professionals (and when I say "a bunch" I'm speaking in relative Norfolkian terms...again, this is not NYC), and that the downtown area veers a little more towards clubs and louder bars, whereas Ghent is perhaps a little more family-oriented and laid back. But, in the end, the two neighborhoods are less than a mile apart, so just because you live in one area doesn't mean you can't spend plenty of time in the other.

If you're still considering the move, I would say it's definitely worth it to visit for a day or two and get a feel for the different areas and try to figure out whether you think you'd enjoy living in Norfolk in general. And, if you end up moving there, you are more than welcome to message me. I'll be moving there in late June, and I basically don't know anyone there, so I'll definitely be looking to meet people as well.

Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 06:29 PM

29 posts, read 87,919 times
Agree with most of the other posters.
From my perspective: I am early 30's single male, relocated for job, and decided on Freemason area. I don't regret it. It's close enough to everything. I shop at Harris Teeter, so I have to drive the mile or two to get there. The mall and downtown are walking distance. Freemason is quiet except at night on the weekends or at night near the YMCA. People like to hang out in the streets. But it's not that bad. The YMCA is very nice and walking distance.

I can't say it's easy meeting people here. The people are pretty nice, but I cam from DC where you can make friends just standing in a line at the grocery store. Not the case here. People aren't mean though..just not as social or open like in some of the bigger, maybe more liberal, cities.

You can't go wrong with either location. Message me if you want more specifics on what i personally recommend..as I just made the move in the last six months or so.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:52 AM

3 posts, read 4,765 times
Norfok has a lot of safe neighborhoods, downtown Ghent is a great area, let me know if I can help. I can have Property Management send you a list of available rentals, if you like.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:57 AM

90 posts, read 264,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeas View Post
Let me guess. You moved to Virginia Beach because your husband is in the military and got stationed here and now you want to go back home to Colorado?

Actually no. Lol.

My husband is ex-military, but he was stationed in San Diego. He's now in law enforcement & I'm in public health. I didn't really like living in Norfolk, hence our move to VB.

We moved 1800 miles from Colorado to Virginia. Yes, I miss Colorado...but I definitely wouldn't trade beach life for mountain life. Maybe just for vacations.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:04 PM

134 posts, read 507,176 times
Got ya. A lot of people complain about this area because they were "forced" to move here for work or military reasons.

I've lived here my whole life and it's a happy medium for me. I wish we had a larger urban core with more cultural diversity but I can deal with what we have and travel to DC when I need more.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,236 times
It's a bit interesting to read these post about us "natives". It's probably more puzzling for us as the indigenous population because we wonder what our home towns, or in the case of "true natives" our ancestral towns, are really like ? It's only travel and broadened scopes (awareness) that reveal our knowledge of what home really is.
Any civilized thoughts ? I think what may be taken as Not-easy-to-meet new-friends is really the reserved nature of Virginians who mind-their-own-business.
Back on the subject, there is a place coming up for rent on Botetourt St. Yes, it is pronounced "body tot"

Old 05-14-2010, 09:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,214 times
Default Apartment in Freemason Historic District

Let me know if you are interested in a two bath, living room, dining room,bedroom, new kitchen, and parlor or additional bedroom, on first floor of duplex building with heat, water/sewage, basic cable TV, central air, within all of your requirements. Very good neighborhood near Medical School, YMCA, Hospital, and soon New Light Rail System. Photos of unit/building could be mailed to you. Unit is unfurnished and no pets are allowed. Very secure building for a single woman. Bruce Ormond. bruceaormond@yahoo.com

Old 05-16-2010, 08:53 AM

3,848 posts, read 8,384,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughmbein View Post
I think what may be taken as Not-easy-to-meet new-friends is really the reserved nature of Virginians who mind-their-own-business.
I have never met anyone from parts of Maryland down to Central FL that minded their own business.

Southerners are by nature the nosiest and most intruding people I have ever met.

The reason why it's not easy to make friends is not the reserved nature, but the cliquishness of the good ol' boy (and girl) network.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:14 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,603,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
Is there anything at waterside?
Not really. Jillians closed it's doors yesterday and is moving to Chesapeake. I think Hooters is the only thing left in Waterside. It is a great location though right on the water to open up some nice restaurants or other businesses. What a waste....

Old 05-19-2010, 07:59 AM

90 posts, read 264,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
I have never met anyone from parts of Maryland down to Central FL that minded their own business.

Southerners are by nature the nosiest and most intruding people I have ever met.

The reason why it's not easy to make friends is not the reserved nature, but the cliquishness of the good ol' boy (and girl) network.
I actually like the fact that Virginians mind their own business. Coming from out west, I hated the fact that people in CA & CO were always listening or gossiping. And I hated when Coloradoans would just have to put their two cents in, even when it wasn't asked for. Not that people don't do that here, to me it just seems people here have more respect for privacy & I like the fact that no one takes offense when you're against airing your dirty laundry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area