U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 09:48 PM

10 posts, read 20,538 times

Advertisements

So, I know there are many question and answers on here regarding folks moving to the area, but I'd appreciate the feedback.

Me, my wife, and 2 kids (2.5 & .5 years) are moving into the area. I will be working at Little Creek, but I don't mind a drive. We're looking for a good, quiet family area. We'd prefer to have amenities like a YMCA and basic shopping (groceries, drugstore, etc.) nearby. Proximity to the beach isn't a big deal.

We'd like to find a part-day preschool for the 2.5 year old. The schools aren't a big deal, but if there are a few areas that meet the above criteria AND have good schools, that would be great information.

Also, how are the public transit options in the area?

Thanks in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 10:14 AM

1,477 posts, read 5,451,735 times
All depends on what you are willing to spend for a home before anyone can offer any neighborhood suggestions......

Public transportation is not very good in the area so if you are dependant on it you will have many untold issues trying to get somewhere

Old 05-12-2010, 01:55 PM

10 posts, read 20,538 times
Default Budget for housing

I'm probably looking at a top end of $1500/month for rent.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:53 PM

279 posts, read 539,096 times
I would look into the Pembroke area. It's clean and safe, just outside of Norfolk in Va Beach. Also somewhat more affordable than anything close to the oceanfront section of the beach. Anywhere you are in Hampton Roads, you won't have a problem with grocery stores, pharmacies etc.. they are everywhere. Then comes this issue of public schools in Hampton Roads. They are definitely not the best. A big reason i was happy to go before my kids reached school age. Locals will tell you horror stories but don't let them sway you. Just be prepared to keep a close watch on your children's education and assure they are being well-educated so you can step in and pick up any slack. Some others on the board may be able to assist you better with schools. They have built some newer ones over the past couple years due to over-crowding. But schools around there seem to be switched out every 15 years anyway. I'm not sure where you have lived before. I will tell you a big issue in the Hampton Roads school district lately has been homosexuality. It is being introduced in many schools as early as Kindergarten. Just so you know. While I don't face the issue, nor do I really support or refute it, I know many people that aren't too pleased about it.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:34 PM

3,506 posts, read 12,544,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellenbosley View Post
I would look into the Pembroke area. It's clean and safe, just outside of Norfolk in Va Beach. Also somewhat more affordable than anything close to the oceanfront section of the beach. Anywhere you are in Hampton Roads, you won't have a problem with grocery stores, pharmacies etc.. they are everywhere. Then comes this issue of public schools in Hampton Roads. They are definitely not the best. A big reason i was happy to go before my kids reached school age. Locals will tell you horror stories but don't let them sway you. Just be prepared to keep a close watch on your children's education and assure they are being well-educated so you can step in and pick up any slack. Some others on the board may be able to assist you better with schools. They have built some newer ones over the past couple years due to over-crowding. But schools around there seem to be switched out every 15 years anyway. I'm not sure where you have lived before. I will tell you a big issue in the Hampton Roads school district lately has been homosexuality. It is being introduced in many schools as early as Kindergarten. Just so you know. While I don't face the issue, nor do I really support or refute it, I know many people that aren't too pleased about it.
Them damn homos! Sheesh, not everyone lives in a box, for goodness sakes! Life has many barriers and those that choose their partners has nothing to do with what Hamptons Roads is doing unless you are a bible thumper who's church is suffering a financial loss.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:16 PM

279 posts, read 539,096 times
Agreed. Like I said, it has no effect on me either way and it's something my children are already aware of. However, it is a larger issue for some who are against it. Not knowing UCFHF personally, I don't know if that is something they care about or not. Just providing the info either way so if it was something of a concern, they'd be prepared. It's not a problem I have personally, but I do know a lot of people down there who aren't happy with the change. A couple have gone as far as to put their kids in private school. To each their own I suppose. Personally, even if one had a problem with homosexuality, I don't think it would be such a huge fact within the school system to pay the outrageous private school fees in Hampton Roads solely for that reason. They cost a fortune!

Old 08-23-2010, 11:48 PM

8 posts, read 12,005 times
the pembroke area is wonderful and there are several preschools in the area as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area