Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 11:19 PM

14 posts, read 27,032 times

Advertisements

Greetings Everyone-

Where in VA Beach should we begin our search for the right beach town?

I am 24 years old, my boyfriend is 26 and we have a 4 year old. We would like to move to VA Beach, but could use some advice...

-We both work in the hospitality industry as bartenders.
-Living in a seaside town/beach town is a Must!
-Less than 30 miles to commute for work in a year round location
-Good Schools

We are a fairly young couple who enjoys being outdoors at beaches, eating out, and occasionally party, but clubs are not important for us to live near, good for working but we dont mind commuting for work. It is Important for us to live in a diverse area. Different ages, different races, The main thing is for us to find a beach town that can offer us safe living, not directly in a tourist hot spot for beaches, and not isolating if possible a balance...if there's such thing

With that said, we are very easy going, friendly, and open minded people we enjoy discovering new places and would rather be in an up and coming area than a ran down beach town.

Thanks Everyone for your help!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 07:22 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANoll View Post
Greetings Everyone-

Where in VA Beach should we begin our search for the right beach town?

I am 24 years old, my boyfriend is 26 and we have a 4 year old. We would like to move to VA Beach, but could use some advice...

-We both work in the hospitality industry as bartenders.
-Living in a seaside town/beach town is a Must!
-Less than 30 miles to commute for work in a year round location
-Good Schools

We are a fairly young couple who enjoys being outdoors at beaches, eating out, and occasionally party, but clubs are not important for us to live near, good for working but we dont mind commuting for work. It is Important for us to live in a diverse area. Different ages, different races, The main thing is for us to find a beach town that can offer us safe living, not directly in a tourist hot spot for beaches, and not isolating if possible a balance...if there's such thing

With that said, we are very easy going, friendly, and open minded people we enjoy discovering new places and would rather be in an up and coming area than a ran down beach town.

Thanks Everyone for your help!!!!

Cant speak for NC, however

1. You probably will not be getting by with any decent standard of living on hospitality jobs, especially with a kid. Virginia Beach has a higher cost of living then the US average, and has generally low wage income. Its certainly NOT the place to come if you expect to be working tip jobs. On the flip side, there probably is plenty of work opportunities, and there is some potential to make a heap of money during the summer if you work in a good location. Then again, there is plenty of competition for low end jobs as well, since they make up most of the local economy.

2. Virginia Beach is expansive, and some of it can be well over a half an hour drive depending on the traffic from the actual ocean.

3. The only problem I see with the commute is the fact that for you to find housing in your range for an area safe for your kid, in a pretty good school district, you may be out of the range of your ideal working spots, which would probably be VB oceanfront, VB Towncenter, or Downtown Norfolk. Other then that, this area has tons of bars. So, wherever you live, youd be a short distance from a bar or restaurant serving alchohol, then again, those may not be the best locations for good tips.

4. Outdoors and beaches....well, that is one thing this area has going for it. Plenty of beaches and related activities. It has enough parks and rec areas to satisfy the normal person.

5. Diversity.....not really....area is mostly American black and white, and most of the remainder being Filipino and Mexican. You wont find much of anything else.

6. Good schools.....as long as you hang around VA Beach, you are ok. I mean, Landstown, Green Run, Bayside....not as good as some of the other VB High Schools, but still better then most of the rest of the Hampton Roads high schools.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:07 AM

134 posts, read 545,030 times
I know several bartenders that make a very healthy living, the problem is getting into the groove somewhere that will let you work the Friday and Saturday rush. The oceanfront establishments are slammed all summer long but it can be a ghost town in the off-season. The Virginia Beach Town Center and Granby St area of Downtown Norfolk will be your best bets for year round bartending but working during the week is sort of like gambling. A bartender on Granby St told me he would nearly always clear $500 in tips on Friday and Saturday nights, the new guys don't get to work Friay and Saturdays.

VA Beach and Chesapeake and known for the best schools in the region. One tip though, try to work on the same side of the water/tunnel that you live on. Tunnel traffic can suck the life out of you.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:50 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeas View Post
I know several bartenders that make a very healthy living, the problem is getting into the groove somewhere that will let you work the Friday and Saturday rush. The oceanfront establishments are slammed all summer long but it can be a ghost town in the off-season. The Virginia Beach Town Center and Granby St area of Downtown Norfolk will be your best bets for year round bartending but working during the week is sort of like gambling. A bartender on Granby St told me he would nearly always clear $500 in tips on Friday and Saturday nights, the new guys don't get to work Friay and Saturdays.

Not only that, but even if you get those days, it has to be at a good spot as well. Many bars arent even close to capacity even on Fri and Sat. I mean, BLS isnt probably that far off when it says bartenders have a median hourly wage of $8.82. There are a few that do ok, even well, but a huge majority barely net minimum wage.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:13 PM

14 posts, read 27,032 times
Thanks, those are all good points and you've given me some insight to continue my search with!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area