Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 01:33 PM

33 posts, read 91,294 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Im nearing the end of my lease agreement and I want to know if I can charge my landlord additional money for maint issues I had throughout my lease agreement.

here are the major ones:

- A/C unit broke and was broken for 3 weeks (in the middle of summer!) in 2009 and 3 weeks in 2010.

- Washer broke 2 times, once in 2009 for 3 weeks and then again in 2010 for 3 weeks.. I had to pay out of pocket to do my laundry at Laundromats for these weeks.

I had an agreement in my lease for these to be working devices and they were not functional for a good part of my lease. Shouldn't I be entitled be compensated for the down time of these units?

I understand that maint. issues happen but I think it was not handled in a timely manner and it was a constant battle between the property manager and the home owner to get anything fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 02:39 PM

520 posts, read 1,621,734 times
I am not a lawyer.

Do you have proof of notification? Did you send written notice to the landlord of issues with the appliances via certified return-receipt requested postal service?

I think you have to be able to prove these things.

Most of the property management places in Hampton Roads are scum, and they know tricks for taking people's security deposits. They will reference the original walk thru / notification of issues list, and if it's not on there, hit you with it.

The company I'm with... the entire contents of 5 floors of HVAC water loop comes spilling into a neighbors apartment. The whole ceiling collapses from the water damage, and insane mess. The company tells them they can move a floor down, since it's empty and the repairs to their apartment will take a long while. They move down a floor, then the property management company tries to hit them with a $50 fee for each picture holder in their apartment (where the ceiling is laying on the floor.) Crazy stuff like that.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:17 AM

61 posts, read 155,042 times
I doubt that it is going to be worth your time. IT sounds like the people that you rent from would make you take them to court.

I do have an idea though. How about you come up with a brief letter factually detailing your complaints and experience. You could also come up with a long list of places that you will send your letter. For example- Better Business Bureau, Angies List, here, paper's editorial section etc........

You could send the package certified mail to your management agency , letting them know exactly what you want (example $200 for inconveniences). You could say that if they decide not to solve the problem, you will be posting your experience with them at the following sites. (MAKE SURE THAT YOUR WRITTEN STATEMENTS ARE FACTUAL & YOU HAVE SOME PROOF)

This is just an idea. Even if you don't get money, you might save others misery and deprive the scoundrels of business.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:39 AM

80 posts, read 204,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilly-1 View Post
I doubt that it is going to be worth your time. IT sounds like the people that you rent from would make you take them to court.

I do have an idea though. How about you come up with a brief letter factually detailing your complaints and experience. You could also come up with a long list of places that you will send your letter. For example- Better Business Bureau, Angies List, here, paper's editorial section etc........

You could send the package certified mail to your management agency , letting them know exactly what you want (example $200 for inconveniences). You could say that if they decide not to solve the problem, you will be posting your experience with them at the following sites. (MAKE SURE THAT YOUR WRITTEN STATEMENTS ARE FACTUAL & YOU HAVE SOME PROOF)

This is just an idea. Even if you don't get money, you might save others misery and deprive the scoundrels of business.
This is a good idea. Maybe your best bet to go about it this way. I work in property management and it does sound like you will have to take them to court otherwise...

Old 05-15-2010, 03:19 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,417,274 times
I would suggest copying the owner with your letter and if the management company neglects to respond, go directly to the owner to let him know how his property is being managed. After all, the management company is being paid to take care of the owners' investment.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
I would suggest copying the owner with your letter and if the management company neglects to respond, go directly to the owner to let him know how his property is being managed. After all, the management company is being paid to take care of the owners' investment.
That is a good idea.. I don't have the owners contact info though.. I suppose I could look it up somehow.

Thanks!

Old 05-15-2010, 11:56 AM

61 posts, read 155,042 times
I believe that most cities have a free internet public records site. You plug in the address, and you can see who owns the property. You could call the city hall for your town to find out whether they have an internet site. I know that Chesapeake does.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:21 PM

6,293 posts, read 10,550,787 times
When ever something like that would happen, when we rented, we'd ask for money off the next months rent. Most everywhere was accommodating, especially with AC issues. If you don't mind my asking why did you wait so long to ask ask for the money?

Old 05-19-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
When ever something like that would happen, when we rented, we'd ask for money off the next months rent. Most everywhere was accommodating, especially with AC issues. If you don't mind my asking why did you wait so long to ask ask for the money?
I honestly didn't know..I was even entitled to ask for money for appliances ect..that were not fixed in a timely manner. It was such a hassle to get anything fixed Im made endless phone calls and had to ride them every step of the way just to get everything fixed.

I guess I should have spent more time researching these sort of issues. I've never had problems renting before like I've had with this management company Greg Garrett. My problems are not just limited to these issues either.. thats why I'm moving!!

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area