U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2010, 10:38 PM

14 posts, read 25,165 times

Advertisements

Greetings All...

My fiance and I have been looking for a decent place to move and we have decided on VA Beach.

We both work as bartenders, we have a 4 year old, and we are looking for a year-round beach town. We are not looking to buy a house, just rent for the meantime, find a good school and be somewhere in VA Beach that wont become a ghost town during the off season.

For better feed back, the following is what we are working with:

-Looking for work within a 20 mile radius
-Good schools
-Renting 2-3 bedrooms at $800/month
-As for our entertainment, we enjoy being at the beach and eating out
-We are hoping to find a diverse town, different ages, different races

Is there a city, town, and/or neighborhood in VA Beach that sounds like a match???

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by ANoll; 05-21-2010 at 10:40 PM.. Reason: Typo
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 10:21 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,651,284 times
A 2-3 bedroom for $800 a month will be tough to find in VB in a decent area. I suggest you take a little trip to scope out the area before relocating to VB.

As far as working for tips, I was a waitress/bartender while going to school and VB Oceanfront is a ghost town in the off season. You can make great money in the peak season though but you just have save up to make it through the off season. I think the Chick's Beach area of VB might be a little more steady year round since it is a smaller beach community with a local clientele. You would definitely be hard pressed to find rentals in your price range in Chick's. Good luck and just see for yourself if it is a place where you will have the quality of life you are seeking!

Old 05-23-2010, 11:05 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,334,208 times
I would try to work in town center. Even during the off season I know they have a after work happy hour crowd year round. Can't help you with the rent. I'm sure they're out there, and you may have better luck renting from a person than a company. Just make sure you see the place before handing over any money to avoid being scammed.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:36 PM

3,506 posts, read 12,719,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I would try to work in town center. Even during the off season I know they have a after work happy hour crowd year round. Can't help you with the rent. I'm sure they're out there, and you may have better luck renting from a person than a company. Just make sure you see the place before handing over any money to avoid being scammed.
Spaz is right...private renting can be better than a complex rental unit. Also, the Greenbriar area is building up in Chesapeake. You can also check this site and find what you will be able to afford. Keep in mind, that your utilities may not be included.

Chesapeake Apartment Rental Listings - Apartments for Rent in Chesapeake VA | Rentals.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area