Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 06:31 PM

5 posts, read 7,078 times

Advertisements

So just graduated college, NC State with a BS in Mechanical Engineering, and got a job from Norfolk Southern. I will be based out of the rail yard on 2200 Redgate Ave. I am looking for apartments and having difficulties as I dont know the are well. I have found some in Ghent (Alexander at Ghent), and some father away Colony Point and Adermal's Way. I am looking for a 1 bedroom (studio can work) with AC and parking. I would like to have washer/dryer connections but not a must. Looking at rent around $1000/mo max, but would really like to stay around the $700-800 range. I do not mind driving 30 min in the AM to get to work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 09:43 PM

14 posts, read 129,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agpatel View Post
So just graduated college, NC State with a BS in Mechanical Engineering, and got a job from Norfolk Southern. I will be based out of the rail yard on 2200 Redgate Ave. I am looking for apartments and having difficulties as I dont know the are well. I have found some in Ghent (Alexander at Ghent), and some father away Colony Point and Adermal's Way. I am looking for a 1 bedroom (studio can work) with AC and parking. I would like to have washer/dryer connections but not a must. Looking at rent around $1000/mo max, but would really like to stay around the $700-800 range. I do not mind driving 30 min in the AM to get to work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Go to apartmentratings.com

Old 05-23-2010, 09:49 PM

I have looked at apartment rating and alot of places have older reviews or do not have many. Also hard to know if all the bad reviews or some of the bad reviews are just a small number of people who just got pissed off.

Mainly looking for some places around that are that could work, i.e. people who know how far I could stay and still keep travel to work around 30 min with AM traffic.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:24 PM

59 posts, read 151,629 times
I don't think you can really go wrong with anything in Ghent. Whatever you do, stay in Norfolk! You do not want to deal with either the Downtown tunnel or the Midtown tunnel on a daily basis if you don't have to.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:16 AM

9 posts, read 25,141 times
Don't sweat it. Don't worry about it until you get there. When I moved to Newport News, I got a cheap motel for 2 days and apartment hunted all day long...found a place the first day. Too many people make such a big deal about finding an apartment. Doing it over the internet isn't advisable anyways. It's always best to see the place in person before obligating yourself to a lease.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:50 AM

Just trying to find some places right now that I can go look at. In a few weeks I will be coming up to go look at apartments. But thinking the same thing that I just need to see them all in person and just pick then.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:53 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,863,050 times
Here are some rentals in Ghent:

Search and Find Homes, Houses, Apartments for Rent in Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Suffolk, Portsmouth and all Hampton Roads

Old 05-24-2010, 01:54 PM

90 posts, read 288,160 times
Just be careful & make sure you look at the places before signing anything.

I found some awesome sounding places in Ghent online & even spoke to the relator, aswell as viewing some pictures. We agreed to meet and go look at the three places I had selected. When walking past the neighboring buildings, everything looked great, but when we actually got to the buildings the units were in...I almost didn't go in because the outside looked terrible. I gave it the benefit of the doubt, but was disappointed once again when I was inside. The floors were rotten & bowing in places, kitchen/bathroom tiles were missing, and the stairs were falling apart. Overall I was pretty in awe that this relator had the nerve to charge what she was asking, when the apts were in such horrible state.

In the end we moved to Virginia Beach, near Town Centre. I am very pleased with my choice, especially how we're right in the middle of everything & close to many places of interest.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:36 AM

134 posts, read 544,911 times
A lot of the apartment buildings in Ghent are owned/managed by real estate companies. Check out: Cavalier Land, Inc.

Also Cooke and Neff Reality used to run a bunch of them, couldn't find their web site though.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:44 AM

1,700 posts, read 5,931,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeas View Post
A lot of the apartment buildings in Ghent are owned/managed by real estate companies. Check out: Cavalier Land, Inc.
I agree with this as far as places in Ghent and Downtown. I looked into some of their properties a couple years ago and was happy with all of them but ended up making different plans. They're not a bad place to start, for sure.

There's always craigslist too.

As far as commute staying under 30 mins, anywhere in Norfolk should be okay. If not Norfolk, definitely stay on the Southside (Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, and Portsmouth). A helpful tool is using Google Maps. If you know the address of a place you're interested in, just get directions from there to your work and Google will give an estimated commute time. It's not perfect, but usually in the ballpark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area