Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 08:43 AM

492 posts, read 1,027,504 times

Advertisements

I was reading an article about the future of waterside in downtown Norfolk, and in it someone mentioned the thought of making it more 'family friendly', which got me thinking........ Why is everything so geared towards the family in this area?

I hear the term thrown around a lot. I understand the concept in a sense, families spend money. But the same can be said about the young, the single, and the couples without any children. I feel this mindset is really hendering the area from acheiving its full growth, potential, and marketability.

The large military presence may play a part in this, but not every member of the military is married with children. Also every city in the region does not have to cater to the family. For example, it is understandable for Virginia Beach and Chesapeake to appear more family friendly being that they are more suburban in nature, but why would norfolk want to move in that direction? What sense does it make for Norfolks downtown to become more family friendly? Is that even possible for a true city to be just family friendly? And after 9, when most families are at home and watching american idol, what is there to do for everyone else? Why not continue to separate yourself from the pack and cater to the other demographics? What about nightlife and club districts for those who want to get out and enjoy themselves or experience life and culture?

I know plenty of young adults who have moved away or want to move simply because they feel unwanted and that the area is boring. Its hard enough to survive here if you arent rich, married, on welfare, or in the military. You cant have low wages, high cost of living, and then only cater to families. Where is the trade off? A family atmosphere is not necessary a full 24 hours out of the day. I feel there should be more of a balance. A true city/metro should cater to all.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you agree with the mindset of the area, or do you also feel there should be more of a balance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 08:53 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,638 times
Waterside is (well, was) a tourist attraction - next to Nauticus and Towne Point Park so naturally they want to promote it as a family friendly area to out of towners. Because we are a tourist area, each city is trying to gain tourist traffic - we want them to come all over Hampton Roads - not just stay at the oceanfront.

Actually, HR does a good job at this. There is so much more to this area than just the beach. People can vacation here and see so much more and the cities do a pretty good job of promoting that.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacylee926 View Post
Waterside is (well, was) a tourist attraction - next to Nauticus and Towne Point Park so naturally they want to promote it as a family friendly area to out of towners. Because we are a tourist area, each city is trying to gain tourist traffic - we want them to come all over Hampton Roads - not just stay at the oceanfront.

Actually, HR does a good job at this. There is so much more to this area than just the beach. People can vacation here and see so much more and the cities do a pretty good job of promoting that.

Do you feel more could be done to attract or cater to the non family group whether they are local or tourists? or you feel the cities already do a good job at this as well?

*** And Im refering to the 21 to 40 age range... educated, single, married, military, working class, etc., with no children

Old 05-24-2010, 09:26 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,863,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
Do you feel more could be done to attract or cater to the non family group whether they are local or tourists? or you feel the cities already do a good job at this as well?

*** And Im refering to the 21 to 40 age range... educated, single, married, military, working class, etc., with no children
This is another reason I left.... I have no children, professional and felt the area lacked activites for me personally. I also understand the reason behind "family friendly" but honestly, I felt the area catered to families far too much.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMERALDGIRL View Post
This is another reason I left.... I have no children, professional and felt the area lacked activites for me personally. I also understand the reason behind "family friendly" but honestly, I felt the area catered to families far too much.
Yeah at times it can be a bit overbearing. Its like okay, enough already, we get it. LOL. I get tired of sometimes having to drive up to DC or Richmond just to get that feeling of being a young adult out on the town. And its hard because I really dont want to move anywhere else, but I feel I may have to just so that my younger years wont be wasted here.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:58 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,863,414 times
Yeah...maybe Pat Robertson also has an influence on the over abundance of the family thing. Who knows.

I liked going to D.C. or Richmond, too but that got expensive real fast.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:16 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,332,638 times
There is plenty to do here for all age groups. However, I really don't think they try hard enough to actually promote that age group. Chances are the money people would rather spend their dollars promoting the family vacation atmosphere.

I was just thinking about 'how' to promote to the 20's and 30's in an ad. I came up blank!! When I think of that age group I think of the bar scene and restaurants and nightlife. There is plenty of that at the oceanfront, Ghent and even Hampton. Maybe it is my age - I am past 'family' and not into the golden years yet lol.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:57 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
I was reading an article about the future of waterside in downtown Norfolk, and in it someone mentioned the thought of making it more 'family friendly', which got me thinking........ Why is everything so geared towards the family in this area?

I hear the term thrown around a lot. I understand the concept in a sense, families spend money. But the same can be said about the young, the single, and the couples without any children. I feel this mindset is really hendering the area from acheiving its full growth, potential, and marketability.

The large military presence may play a part in this, but not every member of the military is married with children. Also every city in the region does not have to cater to the family. For example, it is understandable for Virginia Beach and Chesapeake to appear more family friendly being that they are more suburban in nature, but why would norfolk want to move in that direction? What sense does it make for Norfolks downtown to become more family friendly? Is that even possible for a true city to be just family friendly? And after 9, when most families are at home and watching american idol, what is there to do for everyone else? Why not continue to separate yourself from the pack and cater to the other demographics? What about nightlife and club districts for those who want to get out and enjoy themselves or experience life and culture?

I know plenty of young adults who have moved away or want to move simply because they feel unwanted and that the area is boring. Its hard enough to survive here if you arent rich, married, on welfare, or in the military. You cant have low wages, high cost of living, and then only cater to families. Where is the trade off? A family atmosphere is not necessary a full 24 hours out of the day. I feel there should be more of a balance. A true city/metro should cater to all.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you agree with the mindset of the area, or do you also feel there should be more of a balance?
As someone who is 21 and grew up in Hampton Roads, I kinda agree.

I feel like I could be happy living as a young professional in Port Warwick or NN City Center or Ghent. But across the area it seems like no one really wants young professionals. I'm probably going to relocate once I finish my degree and Hampton Roads is a possibility but Louisville just up I-65 or Nashville just down I-65 seem much sexier for young professionals also more affordable.

Hampton Roads does need more of a balance.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:27 PM

841 posts, read 4,839,741 times
I think the bottom line, and subsequently the bottom dollar, is that in most cases, cities are looking for safety. In a general sense, families=safety and revenue. One of the posters also had it correct...cities that want to repackage themselves and makeover their image want an educated crowd, whether or not this population has families. The unspoken motive going on at Waterside is that the city wants an educated, white collar population to spend time and money at that venue. Hampton Roads has done a terrible job at keeping their young, creative class. The young, educated, white collar workers tend to move to other, more progressive or creative cities.

Old 05-26-2010, 09:28 PM

359 posts, read 759,091 times
IT IS SO BORING HERE I WANT TO GOUGE MY EYES OUT.

Don't worry, I'm working on moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area