U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 01:37 PM

26 posts, read 48,055 times

Advertisements

Hello. My family and I currently living in Dayton, OH. We fell in love with Williamsburg, Va when we visited last year. We loved it so much that we want to move there. What is the cost of living like? How's the job market? My husband works as a corrections officer. I am a licensed social worker who'll be graduating with my masters degree next year. We are a family of 5. Our oldest is 14 and our other two are 10 and 7. We want to move there next year after graduation. Any tips, suggestions, regarding housing and jobs? Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 09:16 AM

1,184 posts, read 3,687,524 times
From City Data stats the Estimated median house or condo value for Dayton OH in 2008: $81,500
Estimated median house or condo value for James City County Va/ Williamsburg in 2008: $353,597

I can give you more timely data but felt this was a good comparison.

Here are a few of the regional jails:

Gloucester County Jail
7502 Justice Drive
Gloucester, VA 23061
804-693-1371
Hampton Correctional Facility
1928 W. Pembroke Avenue
Hampton, VA 23669
757-926-2540
Middle Peninsula Regional Security Center
P.O. Box 403
Saluda, VA 23149
804-758-2338
Newport News City Jail
P.O. Box 57
Newport News, VA 23607
757-926-8759
Newport News City Farm
P.O. Box 2297
Newport News, VA 23609
757-369-8900

Virginia Peninsula Regional Jail- This is the closest one to Williamsburg
9320 Merrimac Trail
Williamsburg, VA 23185
757-820-3922

Let me work on some social worker employment leads.

Would you rent or purchase if you moved ?

Give a little more detail and we can better respond.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:21 AM

1,184 posts, read 3,687,524 times
If you give a little more detail about your areas of expertise in social work I/ we can point you in the right direction. look at the website for CDR / Child Development Resources

Old 06-01-2010, 09:27 PM

154 posts, read 358,208 times
I'll try to be positive: Williamsburg is a very nice place. Just make sure that you already have jobs lined up before you come, and that you will be able to afford a house/neighborhood that your family will be happy with. The schools are good, it's a great place to raise a family, it might just be hard to find good jobs. A lot of the people who move there are already independently wealthy.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:23 AM

Well, based on what I've been reading on the various postings, it appears that we'd be renting our home. We have a home here that we'll have to sell. I am growing increasingly concerned about the feasibility of moving to the area. We even looked at NN, VAB and other areas which all seem either in 'rough' areas or the costs are high.

As far as my experience, I will have my masters degree in one year. I currently work with persons who have mental retardation and developmental disabilities. I would like to stay with this population, if at all possible. I have over 20 years of experience in social work. I have worked in foster care, nursing homes, AIDS resource agencies, Job Corps, an agency that provides resources for seniors, and currently work in a hospital as a discharge planner as well as the job that I mentioned.

Another concern would be racial diversity. The make up of my family is such that we have to live in an area where this is not an issue and hopefully see others who look like us.

Last edited by macdee425; 06-02-2010 at 07:30 AM.. Reason: forgot to add something

Old 06-02-2010, 07:52 AM

232 posts, read 511,781 times
It is a valid concern.

Williamsburg is beautiful...my parents lived there for sometime after they retired. My parents weren't particularly wealthy, but they did what many other folks did....moved from a part of the northeast (NY/NJ in particular) where houses and condos had higher-than-aveb rage value, and sold them to buy a home in Williamsburg. My folks had retirement savings, however my mom (in her early 60s at the time) took a job at Colonial Williamsburg to help with cash.

Personally, I too would have concerns about moving to the area. The fields you two are in are not traditionally fields with high paying jobs...that is not a good situation to be in when moving to a resort area with higher prices.

As far as diversity is concerned...there is some diversity in Williamsburg, but it is more with the working class people. The higher income people, like my folks, were overwhelmingly white. I would not consider the area to be intolerant per se but I think the resort-town atmosphere amplified the disparity, in my mind. Perhaps I'm a sensitive, but I found it to be a bit stark. There are, however, plenty of people in the area who work for Colonial Williamsburg (which does not pay a lot) and the students that come in each year to attend William and Mary also add a fresh vibe to the town.

NN, Hampton, VA Beach and many other areas do indeed have rough spots.

My personal advice...hang tight until you finish your degree. Professionally, you will likely gain more if you try to get a new job with a completed degree than you would if you try to get a new job and then finish your degree. Continue to do your research, then see what the market offers next year.

However you decide, I wish you and your family the best of luck

Old 06-02-2010, 09:03 AM

92 posts, read 274,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdee425 View Post
Another concern would be racial diversity. The make up of my family is such that we have to live in an area where this is not an issue and hopefully see others who look like us.
You didnt state what the 'make up' of your family is?

Lots of recent posts about racial diversity here in the forum. Do a quick search,,,could be helpful!!

HTH!!

Old 06-02-2010, 07:20 PM

In regards to the move, it wouldn't happen until after I graduate. I am doing my research now so that we can decide if this is really the right move for us or should this just be a vacation spot.

As far at the racial make up, I am black and my husband is white. Two of our children are biracial. The oldest is not.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:24 PM

2,383 posts, read 5,763,369 times
To the OP: Racial diversity in Williamsburg is not the norm. I have a friend who adopted a child over 12 years ago from China and a few years after adopting was finally able to have her own child. A few years back she she went to go sign her daughter's up for gymnastics, and the manager accused her, a 40+ something year old woman, of trying to get the family discount by signing up a "friend's child"! I was there to personally witness the incident and I can tell you that my mouth hit the floor!!! I would say that for racial diversity you would see more of this in NN, VaBeach, Hampton, Norfolk...where more military live.
I grew up in Atlanta and lived in Houston for several years and I have said this before on this forum, but Williamsburg was the most racially tense city I have ever lived in as well. You can really feel it in the schools.
Of course this is just my personal opinion, but I have another friend who is in a very similar situation as yourself, and she lived in Williamsburg for 3 years and currently lives in Va Beach and is much happier!
I hope that this helps somewhat and just know that people who are unaccepting are not worth it~ Good luck with your decision!

Old 06-03-2010, 08:11 PM

Thank you for your honesty. It's good to know this. When we visited last year, we saw the town through the eyes of a tourist. However, to live there, that would be different. Your information helps. At this point, unless we're blessed in a huge way, we won't be able to move there next year. The housing is just too expensive. We looked at NN and VAB and the most we'd get would be an apartment. Not a comfortable fit with three kids including a teenager. I am bummed about it. I was really wanting to move to the area but it doesn't appear financially feasible at this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area