Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area
 [Register]
Hampton Roads area Chesapeake - Hampton - Newport News - Norfolk - Portsmouth - Suffolk - Virginia Beach
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 06:17 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,385,926 times

Advertisements

Oh Ocean Breeze is AWESOME! We had season passes there and had tons fun every 2 or 3 days. Not a huge park but it is lots of fun....great rides! Fair priced tickets. Crowds not too bad compared to other places. The Zoo in Norfolk is really nice too and cheap! Kids will love it. Has a great repitle and nocturnal display.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 08:09 PM

57 posts, read 221,614 times
It seems like the question the original poster asked implied that they were wondering what experiences were unique to VB..ie. if you only had one day out of your life to come here, what would you do that is unique to the area. Trinkety amusement parks and tiny zoos can be found all over the country.

Since VB scores about a 0.01 on the culture meter, the best thing to do would be to experience the beach in a non-crowded area, I think. Just lay out for a little bit, enjoy the sun, maybe take a bike ride down the boardwalk. Avoid Atlantic avenue unless chintzy haunted houses, endless t-shirt shops and tourist filled waffle houses are your idea of excitement. Instead, grab a cannoli at La Bella Italia, maybe some dinner at Croc's later at night. If you have the money, stay at the old Cavalier (do some research first to amplify the experience). Take a car ride down Princess Anne south of Ocean Lakes all the way down past the North Carolina border to Knotts Island Rd and soak in the Marsh Causeway.

Outside of that, crusing around a flat, crowded city filled with strip malls with super loud jets flying overhead isn't much of bucket list experience.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:23 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,165,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Ocean Breeze is in Va Beach....I believe that is what the poster was inquiring about. Water Country is in Williamsburg. According to this site, the prices are more than Ocean Breeze and with two 7 year olds, long lines and a long drive, is it really worth it?

Water Country USA - Virginia Is For Lovers

Yeah, it is worth it. I live in Norfolk, and I wont even consider going to Ocean Breeze. Riding 4 substandard slides over and over again.....not really that fun. If you are going to restrict yourself to Virginia Beach, you probably should just go to the ocean where youll only be on the hook for parking.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Oh Ocean Breeze is AWESOME! We had season passes there and had tons fun every 2 or 3 days. Not a huge park but it is lots of fun....great rides! Fair priced tickets. Crowds not too bad compared to other places. The Zoo in Norfolk is really nice too and cheap! Kids will love it. Has a great repitle and nocturnal display.

The lines in Ocean Breeze on an average day are not much different then Water Country (especially accounting for the speed they move). The big difference is, the worst slide at Water Country is better then the best one at Ocean Breeze.

The Norfolk Zoo is also substandard. The only "good" animals they have are elephants, giraffes and a couple lions. The only primates they have are a couple baboon looking things, and farm animals account for about 1/3 of the total zoo. Small kids may love feeding the fat goats, or running through the water spray at the entrance, but that is probably the highlight of this zoo.

Again, if you are restricting yourself to the southside, the Norfolk Zoo is probably one of the better things, but its not remotely anything that youd be missing if you came here and bypassed it.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
The lines in Ocean Breeze on an average day are not much different then Water Country (especially accounting for the speed they move). The big difference is, the worst slide at Water Country is better then the best one at Ocean Breeze.

The Norfolk Zoo is also substandard. The only "good" animals they have are elephants, giraffes and a couple lions. The only primates they have are a couple baboon looking things, and farm animals account for about 1/3 of the total zoo. Small kids may love feeding the fat goats, or running through the water spray at the entrance, but that is probably the highlight of this zoo.

Again, if you are restricting yourself to the southside, the Norfolk Zoo is probably one of the better things, but its not remotely anything that youd be missing if you came here and bypassed it.

Well I guess it is all subjective really. The OP said they wanted something for their 7 year olds could enjoy. Ocean Breeze is not a massive sized park and perfect for families with kids. And as for the zoo, I have been to some really crappy zoos and the Norfolk one is very nice and a good size for people with little kids. Ever take a kid to a huge zoo like in Cleveland? They get tired and bored before you can see it all. Just my opinion.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:28 AM

1,477 posts, read 5,992,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Ocean Breeze is in Va Beach....I believe that is what the poster was inquiring about. Water Country is in Williamsburg. According to this site, the prices are more than Ocean Breeze and with two 7 year olds, long lines and a long drive, is it really worth it?

Water Country USA - Virginia Is For Lovers
Water Country is much more costly, dont forget you also have to pay 13 bucks to park at Water Country, Ocean Breeze parking is free

Old 06-14-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
Water Country is much more costly, dont forget you also have to pay 13 bucks to park at Water Country, Ocean Breeze parking is free

As I said, there are coupons on just about every other product from Pepsi cans to McDonalds bags for 6-10 off Water country tickets. and parking costs would be mitigated across everyone in the car. For the huge difference in quality of the parks, Water Country is well worth the additional costs. I actually try to go to Water Country once a year or maybe every two years, but I wont touch Ocean Breeze. I cant possibly justify the cost.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:25 PM

486 posts, read 1,941,676 times
Farm Fresh bags have a $9 coupon for Water Country on them. Here's a link to a coupon for $3 off @ Ocean Breeze: http://www.sunnydayguide.com/virgini...s.php?ad_id=26

Last edited by jhrichmond; 06-14-2010 at 12:27 PM.. Reason: ETA coupon

Old 06-14-2010, 12:33 PM

1,477 posts, read 5,992,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
As I said, there are coupons on just about every other product from Pepsi cans to McDonalds bags for 6-10 off Water country tickets. and parking costs would be mitigated across everyone in the car. For the huge difference in quality of the parks, Water Country is well worth the additional costs. I actually try to go to Water Country once a year or maybe every two years, but I wont touch Ocean Breeze. I cant possibly justify the cost.

Well that is fine but dont think Water Country is the only place that offers coupons...I have seen Ocean Breeze coupons at about every 7-11 in town that offers a few bucks off.......Heck you want to justify the cost.... I buy a season pass every year for Ocean Breeze and it only cost me 29.99 for the entire summer....... I buy if off season when they are offering deals to local Va Bch residents

Old 06-14-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandc View Post
Well that is fine but dont think Water Country is the only place that offers coupons...I have seen Ocean Breeze coupons at about every 7-11 in town that offers a few bucks off.......Heck you want to justify the cost.... I buy a season pass every year for Ocean Breeze and it only cost me 29.99 for the entire summer....... I buy if off season when they are offering deals to local Va Bch residents

Yeah they have coupons too. I don't see what random's issue is with Ocean Breeze....it is a nice little park and kids love it. Water Country is way more crowded and besides that the OP wanted something in VA Beach not Williamsburg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Hampton Roads area