U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2010, 12:01 PM

115 posts, read 412,100 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
my family and I are about to leave the mobile home we have resided at in York County before the death trap it looks like it is fast becoming........becomes reality. The problem is this.........the landlady is broke and could file for bankruptcy at anytime which has basically meant that the repairs that were desperately needed over this last year never happened. There is a long list of reasons why I never pushed her to do the repairs not least the fact that I work with her, her husband is a drug addict and we only had a verbal contract. When we moved in we were only supposed to be there for 2 months while I waited for my job transfer to come through (we thought we could save some money....which was a joke!!). Well the transfer never materialised and we have been stuck there a year now......I now have found a new job so we can escape!!!!.....Anyway I digress!!!

I have informed the landlady that this place is a death trap.......she replied by saying she already had a friend lined up to move in. She is yet to come over to inspect the place. After everything we have been through with this place including a near miss with a tree falling and clipping the roof, I would not be able to live with myself if something happened with the next person if I don't find the right organization to report this place as uninhabitable...the place needs to be condemned. I called the PA Fair Housing in harrisburg and they told me that the township with jurisdiction should have someone to come and condemn the place or at least inspect it and force the landlady to do the repairs. Unfortunately, we live out in the sticks and the township doesn't have such a person which isn't surprising but I thought they would have pointed me in the right direction............so does anyone know who I could contact.
Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 01:45 PM

4,270 posts, read 10,817,099 times
That's a municipal responsibility although it's not uncommon not to be exercised. If for some reason you want to pursue matters further than whoever you talked to on the phone then the next step is to show up at the supervisors' monthly meeting. Be sure to show up a little early and ask when citizens' comment time is, some do it at the beginning of the meeting and some at the end. Honestly don't expect them to do any more about it but if you really feel you want it said, that's the next place to do it.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:25 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,697,978 times
As a last-ditch, failing-everything-else effort, you could outline your concerns in a letter and send them to your landlord and to the township office via certified mail. At the very least, you may find relief in the fact that you have unquestionably called the proper attention to the matter. And who knows -- certified letters sometimes have a way of causing people to snap to attention, as they often precede lawsuits. Maybe it will prompt some action.

Additionally, if you're in a lease and the place is truly uninhabitable -- electrical problems, no heat, sewage leaks, severe structural damage, etc -- you may be able to safely walk out without penalty based on the condition. I would definitely send a certified letter before walking out, though, and be sure to take lots of pictures. Calling several contractors to get (free) repair estimates is also wise. From your post, it sounds like this isn't an issue for you (as she already has a new tenant lined up), but it never hurts to be cautious. Remember -- a lease always trumps verbal promises.

Old 06-30-2010, 02:10 PM

115 posts, read 412,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
As a last-ditch, failing-everything-else effort, you could outline your concerns in a letter and send them to your landlord and to the township office via certified mail. At the very least, you may find relief in the fact that you have unquestionably called the proper attention to the matter. And who knows -- certified letters sometimes have a way of causing people to snap to attention, as they often precede lawsuits. Maybe it will prompt some action.

Additionally, if you're in a lease and the place is truly uninhabitable -- electrical problems, no heat, sewage leaks, severe structural damage, etc -- you may be able to safely walk out without penalty based on the condition. I would definitely send a certified letter before walking out, though, and be sure to take lots of pictures. Calling several contractors to get (free) repair estimates is also wise. From your post, it sounds like this isn't an issue for you (as she already has a new tenant lined up), but it never hurts to be cautious. Remember -- a lease always trumps verbal promises.
To both responders to my original post, thanks for the advice. You both have good ideas..........I never did think of calling in a contractor. Do you think they would be honest enough to say that the place is beyond repair? There is every issue under the sun wrong with the place including structural, plumbing, electrical and mold. Perhaps getting quotes on what it will take to fix the place may persuade the landlady not to try and rent it. I did find out through the grapevine that she now doesn't have anyone lined up to move in. The only saving grace with this place is that there is no written contract(lease) or any security deposits of any kind so we can leave at anytime. I am going to try and get contractors to come in and inspect the place but I am also going to go back to the township to see if they can help.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:09 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,697,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leedspaddy View Post
Do you think they would be honest enough to say that the place is beyond repair? There is every issue under the sun wrong with the place including structural, plumbing, electrical and mold. Perhaps getting quotes on what it will take to fix the place may persuade the landlady not to try and rent it.
A good contractor will not hesitate to tell you that a place is beyond repair, because he doesn't want to be liable for failed repairs. Unfortunately, while there are plenty of honest, reliable, high-quality contractors out there, there are quite a few who are not. Distinguishing between the two is never an easy task, so the best advice I can offer is to go with your gut.

It sounds like you've already done everything you can to make the most of a bad situation. You've alerted the owner and you've alerted the proper authorities. Take pictures of everything wrong with the place that you can find, and keep them in a safe place for several years. I know you mean well and have the best intentions, but given everything you've said so far, you may want to simply walk away. The last thing you want is to have your name drudged up in a bankruptcy proceeding because the present owner says she gifted the property to you, and oh hey look here's a written estimate where you called a contractor to repair your new house.

This is starting to drift beyond the scope of this forum, so I'll cut myself short. My best advice to you, now that I've had time to think it over, is for you to not get involved beyond what you've already done.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area