U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 01:40 AM

101 posts, read 336,493 times

Advertisements

I am coming with my family to harrisburg to visit my mother-in-law, I want to do some school shopping while I am there some of my co-workers that have relocated from the north suggested Reading,Pa that seems to be over and hour from Harrisburg. any other suggestions I looking for bargins hoping to spend less than I would in florida, any must do free/cheap things to do. We will be traveling with 6 kids 5-16, we are coming last week of july
Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 09:40 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,351,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdavis View Post
I am coming with my family to harrisburg to visit my mother-in-law, I want to do some school shopping while I am there some of my co-workers that have relocated from the north suggested Reading,Pa that seems to be over and hour from Harrisburg. any other suggestions I looking for bargins hoping to spend less than I would in florida, any must do free/cheap things to do. We will be traveling with 6 kids 5-16, we are coming last week of july
Thanks
Harrisburg's City Island and Riverfront Park are great for scenic walks, plus they have a kiddie train, batting cages and minor league baseball. Hersheypark and Chocolate World is nearby, perfect for families. Also in Hershey you have outlets for shopping.

Old 06-27-2010, 09:02 PM

3,521 posts, read 8,630,566 times
I think danwxman set you in the right direction regarding activities and outlet shopping locations. A few other places that may be of interest would be the National Civil War Museum in Harrisburg (probably of greater interest to the older kids), possibly the Pennsylvania State Museum in downtown Harrisburg (which I believe has a couple of planetarium shows on a daily basis - you'll have to check on that), and Lake Tobias wildlife reserve in northern Dauphin County between Halifax and Elizabethville, about 20 miles north of Harrisburg (if your kids like animals, that is definitely a place you should go to).

Shopping-wise, if you looking for school supplies a couple of discount stores that many people like are Big Lots and Ollie's. The Harrisburg area also has a few indoor malls and shopping centers if you just want to look around and get the kids outside but in the air conditioning. They include the Colonial Park Mall and the Allentown Boulevard (US 22) corridor east of Harrisburg, the Harrisburg Mall and nearby Swatara Square near I-83, I-283, and US 322 east of Harrisburg, and the Capital City Mall and Carlisle Pike (US 11) corridor west of Harrisburg. I would guess the Harrisburg area would have cheaper prices than Florida would have at comparable stores (i.e. Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, etc.).

(As a side note, one option that would have been excellent a few years ago would have been Williams Grove Park south of Mechanicsburg, but the old guy who owned it didn't want to continue running the park due to his age and his adult children weren't interested in taking it over - I digress.)

Old 06-28-2010, 09:57 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,666,037 times
You might want to consider Knoebels, located about an hour and 15 minutes north of Harrisburg. It's a 90-year-old free-admission, free-parking amusement park (you pay by the ride). The ride prices range from 75 cents to $5, with most rides under $1.50. They also have several discount "unlimited ride" packages.

The park is definitely a completely different ballgame than Disney or even Hersheypark. It's older, for one thing, and it shows. It's also heavily wooded, giving the entire park a healthy dose of (literally) fresh air. You'll also see a lot more carnival-style rides than you would at a big-budget amusement park. The Phoenix, the park's oldest wooden roller coaster, is one of the best in the country. The Haunted Mansion also gets regular accolades. The food is unconditionally the best carnival-style food you will ever taste.

Getting there will take you pretty far out into the country. It will definitely consume an entire day.

I think the other posters have hit up most of the free / cheap events within the city. Years ago I used to take my ex's daughter into the park surrounding the Capitol building so she could feed the squirrels. The squirrels are unbelievably people-friendly and will actually get pretty demanding if you don't make with the snacks (it's pretty funny to watch a squirrel try to bully you around). She thought it was the greatest thing ever (she was around 6-7 at the time).

For dining options, check out Duke's or Dockside Willy's across the river in Wormleysburg. They both have huge decks overlooking the river/city and very diverse menus. I have never had bad food from either, and both will be able to handle a group your size without any problems. However, due to parking & congestion, I would NOT recommend hitting either one of them on the weekend.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:39 AM

thanks for the suggestions knoebels sounds nice, my mother-in-law zip places her in colonial park so maybe its close to that mall

Old 07-01-2010, 11:08 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,666,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdavis View Post
thanks for the suggestions knoebels sounds nice, my mother-in-law zip places her in colonial park so maybe its close to that mall
Just to be absolutely clear, Knoebels is not close to anything in or around Harrisburg. It's approximately 75-90 minutes from downtown via a 50/50 mix of Interstate and rural state highways. It's definitely worth the drive if you're looking for a low-cost, relaxing alternative to Hersheypark. I just want to make it clear that it's nowhere near the Colonial Park mall.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:32 AM

52 posts, read 264,510 times
I believe he was just stating the zip puts them near the colonial park mall, if i'm reading correctly.. But do agree on Knobels and Duke's..

Old 07-05-2010, 07:06 AM

209 posts, read 563,573 times
I would check out Chocolate World if you have kids. I think the ride where you can ride through the chocolate factory and see how they make Hershey's chocolate is still free, and it's fun. I am an adult and my friends and I do it several times in a row hahaha.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:07 AM

209 posts, read 563,573 times
Also for shopping try the CApital City mall, not Colonial Park. There are not many good stores in colonial park. Capital City has better ones and most locals to the area consider it "better" shopping.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:36 PM

thanks again, oh and yes I was just saying that my mother in law lives in colonial park,I understand that the amusement park is not close to Harrisburg, I would like the ride I think since we have never been to PA. I got my visitor guide in the mail sat., I will love to show my kids some beauty other than florida some people love vacationing in Florida but we have lived here all our lives, except for a short time in Dallas

charlotta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area