Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 16,205 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to Uptown Harrisburg soon and i was wondering if there is any gang activity there and what type of gangs are there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 08:09 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,666,339 times
I'm almost positive there are gangs. Our area, just an hour north of Harrisburg, just had some gang-related seminars for residents. Our gangs here (and probably also in Harrisburg) include the Bloods, the Crips, the Latin Knights or Kings, and some smaller, lesser known gangs. Here's a website that might be helpful:

East Coast Gang Investigators Association

You could also Google the Pennsylvania State Police website and the FBI's website, as they both have gang task forces and investigations.

Good luck with your move.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:44 PM
PUB

25 posts, read 110,910 times
There are gangs everywhere. My uncle has been in uptown Harrisburg for 10+ years and never had a problem.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:08 AM

99 posts, read 465,581 times
in general, I would not want to live in uptown Harrisb urg - many businesses have had to move out of that area

Old 06-29-2007, 09:34 AM

641 posts, read 2,363,220 times
Lots of gangs. Stay away from Steelton 2nd street, 6 th street & Cameron off the top of my head. it's a combat zone. Also alot of convicts on work release that work there in the warehouses. I worked at this one place....only white guy there. Not that I'm racist or anything, but I felt outta place. I had to carry a switchblade with me at all times. Never brought my wallet. Move to one of the suburbs if you can.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:06 AM

7 posts, read 35,004 times
i lived in harrisburg for 14 years and i havent seen any gangs... harrisburg is a nice place, people are talktive and friendly... nice libraries... parks like city island which is beautiful... a nice hospital near there... yup pretty nice city from my point of view... schools are nice but stay away from cities like steelton and susquhanna.
good luck

Old 07-14-2007, 06:31 PM

222 posts, read 1,405,251 times
umm there is a strong hint of gang activity. but generally its nice. i wouldnt leave your car unlocked with the windows down at night. there is a lot of drug dealing and petty theft. occasionally burglaries and muggings. harrisburg has about 1 homicide a month, and about maybe 3 or 4 assaults, shootings and stabbings. it is almost always a 'thug' being shot by another 'thug' who disrespected him. i think about 5 or 6 years ago a little girl got shot by crossfire, the shooter got caught immediately. there was a killing outside of a bar on 6th street there a few months ago. but the guy was a drug dealer, he shot another drug dealer. you should be mindful of your personal safety, but i wouldnt worry too much. they schools are bad, kids are very very ignorant and profane. i would not under any circumstances send them to a school anywhere in harrisburg, unless it was private. there are many areas where police do not patrol, there are drug dealers in broad day light selling stuff. there is also a 'gang' of kids in the area who have a gun. i had a friend opn reel street, right off of 6th, and they showed it off like nothing. 3 people on the block sold dope. there were always petty thefts, like they would take ice cream from the ice cream man and run without paying. they do have poly clinic, a great vietnamese rest. at 3rd and reily called Garden. they area is kind of run down and has many vacant buildings and run down homes. but its on the upswing, it has seen a lot of developments in recent years. hacc is very close as is the farm show. so is interstate 81.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:37 PM

4 posts, read 27,344 times
Default Movig to Harrisburg

If you can, stay out of Harrisburg entirely and move to the so-called "West Shore", across the river from HBG. Much nicer place to live, and safe.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:43 PM

67 posts, read 403,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
I'm almost positive there are gangs. Our area, just an hour north of Harrisburg, just had some gang-related seminars for residents. Our gangs here (and probably also in Harrisburg) include the Bloods, the Crips, the Latin Knights or Kings, and some smaller, lesser known gangs. Here's a website that might be helpful:

East Coast Gang Investigators Association

You could also Google the Pennsylvania State Police website and the FBI's website, as they both have gang task forces and investigations.

Good luck with your move.
Get yourself a riot shotgun problem solved. Or move to the suburbs where your neighbor will have a gun then your ok unless they figure out you dont have a gun then your in trouble. A strange car in our neighborhood is watched. As our township West Hanover doesnt allow door to door solicitors anyone you dont recognize coming to your door doesnt belong there.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:44 PM

67 posts, read 403,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
If you can, stay out of Harrisburg entirely and move to the so-called "West Shore", across the river from HBG. Much nicer place to live, and safe.
Or the east shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area