Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:37 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,089 times

Advertisements

This has been percolating for a while, but I assumed it would go the way of that planned hirise in front of the River Street parking garage (where Sawyer's is now):

The 1500 Project

Highlights from the website:
  • From 6th & Reily to 5th & Boyd (existing block)
  • Underground parking for residents
  • Target demo is "professional singles and couples"
  • Five stories plus "a loft level"
  • The second has ten condos and all others have 11; 44 total
  • No ETA on opening
This is great news. Between this and the project at Second & State, along with the HACC revitalization in midtown, Harrisburg is seeing a small burst of major construction. This project in particular fills a desperate need for dense residential zoning near midtown. The few low-rise apartment blocks we have now aren't bad, but they don't necessarily draw the professional types who want to walk to everything midtown has to offer AND maintain the community feeling of a mid- or hi-rise. Lofts at 909 does draw that crowd, and it's a good start, but it's not targeted at someone like myself who has his own furniture and doesn't want to spend that kind of money without equity.

Being on Reily street is great, as it's just a few blocks from the heart of midtown. Being across from the future courthouse is great, as it will help cement a demand for commercial development in that area (pet peeve, though: give me a St. Thomas Roasters satellite instead of a Starbucks).

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 01:33 PM

29 posts, read 105,830 times
The website mentions this project is near 'cultural ameneties'...what are they?

Old 07-22-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingMoon View Post
The website mentions this project is near 'cultural ameneties'...what are they?
Everything in midtown, for starters. Midtown Cinema, HodgePodgery, Midtown Scholar, Cafe di Luna, Garrasons, the galleries along Third, the farmers market, Nonna's, ... Most of what the city has to offer is within walking distance of downtown and midtown. At Sixth & Reily, it's barely a few blocks from midtown, so it counts.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:43 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
This has been percolating for a while, but I assumed it would go the way of that planned hirise in front of the River Street parking garage (where Sawyer's is now):

The 1500 Project

Highlights from the website:
  • From 6th & Reily to 5th & Boyd (existing block)
  • Underground parking for residents
  • Target demo is "professional singles and couples"
  • Five stories plus "a loft level"
  • The second has ten condos and all others have 11; 44 total
  • No ETA on opening
This is great news. Between this and the project at Second & State, along with the HACC revitalization in midtown, Harrisburg is seeing a small burst of major construction. This project in particular fills a desperate need for dense residential zoning near midtown. The few low-rise apartment blocks we have now aren't bad, but they don't necessarily draw the professional types who want to walk to everything midtown has to offer AND maintain the community feeling of a mid- or hi-rise. Lofts at 909 does draw that crowd, and it's a good start, but it's not targeted at someone like myself who has his own furniture and doesn't want to spend that kind of money without equity.

Being on Reily street is great, as it's just a few blocks from the heart of midtown. Being across from the future courthouse is great, as it will help cement a demand for commercial development in that area (pet peeve, though: give me a St. Thomas Roasters satellite instead of a Starbucks).

Thoughts?
It's been "proposed" for several years now. Now that the courthouse is official across the street, it might actually happen. I can't help but think this should have been located at Verbeke and Front, however. Perfect project for that empty lot.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
It's been "proposed" for several years now. Now that the courthouse is official across the street, it might actually happen. I can't help but think this should have been located at Verbeke and Front, however. Perfect project for that empty lot.
You never know - Vartan has pretty deep pockets.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:14 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
GreenWorks is getting into residential development, hoping to turn a long-vacant multi-story building across the street from Harrisburg’s Broad Street Market into apartments and adding new homes in the city’s Capitol Heights neighborhood, said Tunnell.
Press and Journal (http://www.pressandjournal.com/articleDetail.aspx?ID=3360 - broken link)

Old 08-15-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Press and Journal (http://www.pressandjournal.com/articleDetail.aspx?ID=3360 - broken link)
Good find. I've been hoping something useful gets done with that building.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:38 AM

19 posts, read 43,678 times
So, these are open for show now, as posted on craigslist and the complex's website. No pricetags or floor plans are volunteered. Penn live says from 1450/mo, for a midsize, up to 1800/mo,all utilities included, wi-fi, flat screen tvs. etc. I'd like to know what "midsize" means.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:28 PM

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the Lofts at 909?

Construction on the 1500 Project hasn't started yet. Opening night should be 12-18 months from now.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:38 AM

19 posts, read 43,678 times
Yes, I'm sure. I drove down there yesterday to check the building out after seeing the ad on craigslist (link below) Granted, I haven't called them, but it does say to call for a tour. I'd be pretty disappointed if I called and they told me I'd have to wait a year and a half.
Loft Apartments in Harrisburg (http://harrisburg.craigslist.org/apa/1922629148.html - broken link)

Are they planning to do something with the outside of the building? It's seen better days.

Last edited by ekeo; 08-30-2010 at 11:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area