Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 10:05 AM

4 posts, read 8,558 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I just accepted a job in Lancaster, PA and now I'm looking for places to live. Here's some facts:

- My boyfriend and I are moving together. We are 26 moving from DC

- We like big-city living so this will be quite a change but we are open-minded

- We would like to live in an urban setting if possible

- I don't mind a huge commute if it means having a nice place to live

- Safety is important!

- We want to rent an apartment with EVERYTHING (pool, washer/dryer/balcony/etc)

- We like to exercise and be outdoors so being near a park or something would be great!

Any advice? Thanks so much! These forums are great!

Julie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 01:20 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,617,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeesa View Post
Hello!

I just accepted a job in Lancaster, PA and now I'm looking for places to live. Here's some facts:

- My boyfriend and I are moving together. We are 26 moving from DC

- We like big-city living so this will be quite a change but we are open-minded

- We would like to live in an urban setting if possible

- I don't mind a huge commute if it means having a nice place to live

- Safety is important!

- We want to rent an apartment with EVERYTHING (pool, washer/dryer/balcony/etc)

- We like to exercise and be outdoors so being near a park or something would be great!

Any advice? Thanks so much! These forums are great!

Julie
Lancaster is a great little urban city. There's a few colleges, an excellent arts scene, abundant restaurants and shops however little in the way of nightlife. The city is liberal and has a good quality of life. Step outside the city and it's a completely different world though. I will tell you it might be difficult to find those amenities in Lancaster city. It sounds like downtown Harrisburg might be a better fit for you (several large apartment buildings with the amenities you mentioned), if you don't mind the commute down 283 or if you work in the city, via Amtrak's Keystone line.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:11 PM

29 posts, read 106,511 times
Where exactly is your job located? I'll help after a frame of reference. "lancaster" can mean a wide range of places. Congrats on the new job!

Old 07-26-2010, 09:05 PM

I'll be working right off of 30 near New Holland Avenue and the Lancaster Country Club (can see through Google Maps).

Does that help?

I'm afraid if I live in Harrisburg, the commute will be too long though. Thoughts? What about living IN Lancaster?

Old 07-27-2010, 01:26 PM

175 posts, read 589,890 times
Harrisburg would be a terrible commute. I would try to find an apartment in Lancaster or close by. You might have a hard time finding an apartment with a pool in Lancaster but outside the city there are complexes with pools. It sounds like you will be working in a decent area. Downtown Lancaster has a lot going on with its sports, art and music scenes, it has come along way in the past 10 years. You will want to be close enough to enjoy the city.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:33 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,617,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayee View Post
Harrisburg would be a terrible commute. I would try to find an apartment in Lancaster or close by. You might have a hard time finding an apartment with a pool in Lancaster but outside the city there are complexes with pools. It sounds like you will be working in a decent area. Downtown Lancaster has a lot going on with its sports, art and music scenes, it has come along way in the past 10 years. You will want to be close enough to enjoy the city.
It's not a "terrible commute", I know people who do it... and it's actually quite pleasant via train.

Anyway, I thought I did a pretty good job describing Lancaster city in my post. Urban, historic, artsy with decent shopping. Not too many (if any?) large apartment complexes, however.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:56 AM

IMO Harrisburg is way too far of a drive. You're talking 45 minutes, each way - that's 1.5 hours of your life or 19% more time spent devoted to work each day, week, year. The train could be a better idea, at least you'd get something done on the train.

IMO - try getting an apartment in the city for a year until you get a feel for the area. Hburg is really not far to visit, but no need to li there. PLUS, if its the city life you like - Phili is just a little over an hour East so Lancaster would put you at a good place between Hburg and Phili. Also, remember you can make Baltimore in an hour - I go down there all the time for weekends or even day trips.

Safety: If you live in lancaster, stay NORTH of King Street if at all possible.

If you want a pool, you wont get in the city. Try looking for complexes north of the city just a few miles on "The Pikes" - Manheim Pike (72) Fruitville Pike (no road number), Lititz Pike (501), and Oregon Pike (222). They keep building complexes that offer the amenities you seem to want. The city will be just 5-10 mins away.

Lancaster County Park is great. I run/bike there all the time. They have a public pool (not been to) and numerous other activities in the park. Its pretty huge and coming from DC you'll love it. parks: Main Page

Also smaller at 96 acres is Longs Park next to the mall and just outside the city. Sometimes gets crowded but they have a beautiful manmade pond/lake. Welcome to Long’s Park

If you like outdoors, coming from DC you'll HAVE to visit the many State Parks in PA. They are all Epic and I love hiking, biking, walking all of them. The full list is here Pennsylvania State Parks - Find a Park Alphabetically - PA DCNR

Highlights are:
Mt. Gretna north - Mt. Gretna Lake & Beach
Gifford Pinchot west and north of York, PA Pennsylvania State Parks - Gifford Pinchot - PA DCNR
Chickie's Rock on the Susquehanna River betweeen York and Lancaster parks: Main Page
Blue Marsh - north by reading - Blue Marsh Lake (http://www.berksweb.com/marsh.html - broken link)

All have miles of trails and aren't just the lakes or river's around them.

Hope this helps and congrats on the move.

Rep me if you like my reply.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:07 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,778,884 times
Conestoga Trail crosses the county from the Furnace Hills in the north through Lancaster County Central Park to the Susquehanna River Gorge in the southwest. Although much of this trail is just on what used to be rural roads, the section in southwestern Lanc.Co. is outstanding. The hills abutting the river and the side streams that cut through them are gems of wild places unsuspected by most who stick to the main or even many back roads. Most of the property is owned by power companies who have dams on the river. Here is one traverse of some of the most interesting landscape in PA: Conestoga Trail (http://www.pplweb.com/holtwood/things+to+do/hiking/conestoga+trail.htm - broken link)

Old 07-28-2010, 07:13 PM

Thanks everyone! I'm headed out tomorrow. I'll be looking in both Marietta and York... anyone know anything about York? Any apartments recommended there? Thanks so much!

Old 07-29-2010, 12:03 AM

Why york now? I thought your job was in lancaster?

Culturally, I would have to say York is lancaster's younger ugly step brother. Especially with the recession - many places have closed.

Marietta isn't bad, but IMO you're NOT going to find the 'urban' feel there. Its much too rural, though I'm sure there are some suburbs scattered about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area