U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 02:31 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,991,667 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Last year I moved to the Elizabethtown area from Denver Colorado for a relationship.
Before that time I had never set foot in this state before in my life.
The relationship is dead and gone but I decided to stay.
I now reside in Hershey and have a good job in Harrisburg.
Many of my friends ask why I'm still here and haven't returned to the west.
I told them that if you have never been to Pennsylvania and especially the South Central portion then you can't understand why I'm still here and plan on being here forever more.Rolling hills that are so lush and green that it looks like Technicolour.
The beautiful rivers and streams.
The incredable history and the beautiful period architecture.
The people I've met are very kind and open.
Proximity to world class cities is unprecidented.
The cost of living is incredably low allowing me to maximize my savings.
Cultural and Intellectual pursuits are entertained by the many vnues afforded me in this area like museums and excellent colleges.
For those of you that have lived here all your life do not possess this lens in which I view this area and I don't expect you to.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm home.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 03:17 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,672,381 times
Glad you found home! It's nice to hear some people who actually enjoy living here every now and then to cancel out all the "this place sucks" naysayers.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:30 PM

18 posts, read 51,935 times
This is so reassuring. I'm planning a move to the area within the next few months and only hope I'll be feeling the same way as the OP at the end of my first year there.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:17 AM

4,268 posts, read 10,709,654 times
I've been known to say that Harrisburg is Denver with one-eighth the mountains and eight times the river.

Old 07-24-2010, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilamint View Post
This is so reassuring. I'm planning a move to the area within the next few months and only hope I'll be feeling the same way as the OP at the end of my first year there.

I'm very pleased this helped you. :O)
I love it here. It truely feels like home.

Julia

Old 07-24-2010, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
I've been known to say that Harrisburg is Denver with one-eighth the mountains and eight times the river.

I can certainly believe that!!! LOL!!!

Julia

Old 07-30-2010, 11:52 AM

9 posts, read 22,577 times
Nice to hear you're enjoying it! I've lived in Central PA (Lancaster) for most of my life with stints out in the Philly and Pittsburgh areas. I must say, I am itching to move (and will likely be doing so in the next six months or so, although where is a bit unclear right now since it hinges on SO's job transfer), but I do see the draw of the area, especially Lancaster, to out-of-towners.

But yes, very nice to hear someone say they like it. I was actually bullied off of another message board because of where I'm from. People made fun of me relentlessly when I tried to explain that Lancaster actually has an urban vibe and there is more there than Amish buggies, outlets and Dutch Wonderland.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperGrace View Post
Nice to hear you're enjoying it! I've lived in Central PA (Lancaster) for most of my life with stints out in the Philly and Pittsburgh areas. I must say, I am itching to move (and will likely be doing so in the next six months or so, although where is a bit unclear right now since it hinges on SO's job transfer), but I do see the draw of the area, especially Lancaster, to out-of-towners.

But yes, very nice to hear someone say they like it. I was actually bullied off of another message board because of where I'm from. People made fun of me relentlessly when I tried to explain that Lancaster actually has an urban vibe and there is more there than Amish buggies, outlets and Dutch Wonderland.

It's great to have you respond to my post.
Yes I would of believed that about the Lancaster Metro until I actually saw it and visited the entire area.
Lancaster is a small city with it's share of true "big" city issues with alot of wonderful things going for it as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area