U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2010, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 9,822 times

Advertisements

I recently received a job offer to work in Hunt Valley, MD. I currently live in Utah with my family (wife and 3 children). I am concerned with the cost of living, my wife and I recently traveled to Hunt Valley and drove all over MD to investigate the area. We loved Ellicott City, but the Homes were $600K + and the taxes seemed very high. We looked in Westminster, Bel Air and even New Freedom PA and Shrewsburg PA. The cost of Living in PA seems lower to me looking a the price of homes and the taxes. Also though the commute could be around 30 min or 45 mins (which is acceptable to me). Does anyone have any tips or recommendations for me?

Thanks for spending the time to respond. I am in a time crunch as I expect to have to be in hunt Valley in 2-3 weeks.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 06:37 PM

13,063 posts, read 23,454,705 times
There are a ton of homes in Ellicott City and vicinity that are way less than $600K+! I'm not sure where you looked. Shrewsbury (if that's what you meant?), we stop in to check out antiques while traveling to Hershey/Lebanon, I can't really give an opinion on living there.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 9,816 times
I commute from York to Hunt Valley every day and it's a pretty easy commute. I've never done it at rush hour but the commute to Ellicott City would probably equal the one to PA. Towson might be a better choice to be closer to work. I can't afford to live in either city The key to commuting long term is living close to I-83 which connects York to Hunt Valley. From the Leaders Heights exit on I-83 (which is in Dallastown School District), you're looking at a 30-45 minute commute depending on traffic. And it's not a lot of stop and go traffic either. I start at 9 and leave about 5 and sometimes the trip home starts out a little slow but then it picks up considerably as you near the MD line. My trip to work REALLY starts to slow down when I get off at Shawan Rd. so I wouldn't want to commute much further south than Hunt Valley. Having said that, plenty of people commute to the downtown Baltimore from York (or even Harrisburg) every day for years.

On average, the schools are much better in Central PA. I would personally go a little further north than Shrewsbury or New Freedom. Luckily, the best districts in the area are still pretty far south in York County. The taxes in the really good districts like Dallastown or York Suburban are high but not as bad as Maryland. I would lean towards Suburban because there is no room for expansion in any direction. Dallastown has a lot of growth pains from the many Marylanders moving in. I don't know anyone around here who sends their kids to private schools.

And you can't even compare the prices of housing with places like Ellicott City or Towson. You could almost get a freakin' mansion in Central PA for $600K. I have many friends with nice houses for under $300K in good school districts. Outside of York City, crime is pretty much a non-issue in all of York County. You will have your petty things like someone breaking into your car but violent crime is pretty rare (and mostly limited to York City which has little to offer anyway so you can easily avoid it).

Depending on what you do for a living, Hunt Valley is about as far north as you can go before industry dries up and\or salaries drop considerably. If you're in a volatile industry you might be better off in Ellicott City. I would most likely have to go much further south to at least the Columbia-area (just below Ellicott City) to replace my current job. That is a big concern I have living in Central PA because that commute would stink.

Feel free to drop me a line if you have any specific questions. I can also give you a reference for a great real estate agent if you decide to move to Central PA. Good luck!

Old 08-12-2010, 07:21 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,459,490 times
The above poster is spot on about recommendations! The commute to Hunt Valley would be up to an hour with traffic, construction etc. There are some back roads you'd learn pretty quickly with a recalculating Garmin, but the quickest, safest and surest route would be the 83 commute. The better school districts, as mentioned are Dallastown (anywhere from exit 16 to Glen Rock) and then Suburban is directly north of that (Exits 18 and Market Street). Dallastown and Suburban sort of mesh together at 16, depending on the side and direction of 74 (Queen Street) you travel.

PM me if you have any questions, I'm a teacher in the area.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:47 AM

1 posts, read 9,667 times
I am thinking about applying for a job in Hunt Valley. I am also from Utah what is your opinion about this area?

Old 08-19-2010, 03:27 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,774,947 times
Bruce,

Lot's of great suggestions here. I live in the Dallastown area and commute to DT Baltimore each day. I have been doing so for almost 3 years now. Proir to that, I lived in the DC area where I didn't need my car during the week, so the transistion from that to driving each day long distnce took some time.

I drive halfway and pick up the light rail the rest of the way downtown. Some days the commute on 83 can be hit and miss. You may breeze right on down 83 for a few days, then the next few days, it's stop and go. A single accident either way can back traffic up. Sometimes I take York Rd all the way up from Hunt Valley for a change of pace and scenery.

Overall, you eventually get used to the commute.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:08 PM

706 posts, read 1,225,527 times
Move to Shrewsbury! Great town, good schools. Relaxing lifestyle and still not far away form stuff. Best part? 83 is right here and there is a commuter bus. New Freedom isn't too far. Stewartstown is east and adds another 10 to 15 minutes.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:18 AM

9 posts, read 62,078 times
Hello - I may be a little too late to the board, but did you consider living in Hunt Valley? I lived there for 3 years and miss it dearly (moved to be closer to my job). Hunt Valley is beautiful and very safe compared to the Columbia/Howard County area. The schools are also excellent. Single family homes in Hunt Valley can be on the pricey side, but there are some very nice condos and town houses for good prices in this market. You may want to check out High View (walking distance to Wegmans and town center). It is less than .5 miles from 83, so easy to get anywhere. It's a very high amenity community (pool, gym, tennis courts, theater, etc). Have several friends who live here and absolutly love it. It is family friendly and there is a big range in home sizes. Just a thought.

If you are not interested in Hunt Valley, you may want to check out Lutherville or Pikesville. Also very close and very nice areas with good schools. I would not recommend living in Howard County and commuting to Hunt Valley as traffic can be pretty awful along that route.

Good luck!!!

Old 10-25-2010, 11:22 AM

74 posts, read 235,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshawg1 View Post
Move to Shrewsbury! Great town, good schools. Relaxing lifestyle and still not far away form stuff. Best part? 83 is right here and there is a commuter bus. New Freedom isn't too far. Stewartstown is east and adds another 10 to 15 minutes.
RabbitExpress.

I use it to commute from Stewartstown to Harrisburg.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:49 PM

5 posts, read 21,868 times
Default I am also from Utah and live in the York area,

York is much more reasonably priced than Maryland (I should add that I work in central maryland). It is an easy commute to hunt valley and it is a very pleasant area. The schools are also good, especially the Dallastown school district and the Southern School District (my daughter goes to Friendship Elementary and it is awesome.). I live in Codorus township, between Hanover and York, it is a straight shot down 516 to 83 in Maryland and into Hunt Valley. Very convenient area, beautiful location especially in the fall (only 2 miles from a great state park), and my area is very quiet in a development but also in a very small town. People are all very friendly. Can't go wrong here.

Also, if it appeals to you, there are surprisingly large number of Ute fans in York. I am a huge Ute fan and I always have a place to watch the games! There are also some good Cougar fans to if that is your thing, but you can find those anywhere.

Finally, I may be selling my single family home soon if you are interested! I am being relocated soon for work.

Best of luck in your decision.

Last edited by Swint; 11-23-2010 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: Update
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area