U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 09:27 AM

4 posts, read 8,062 times

Advertisements

We really don't know a lot about the Harrisburg area and we're moving here soon. Which apartment complexes would you recommend? Some that we're considering and could use an opinion on are Timber Ridge and Steeple Chase. Does anyone know anything about these or could recommend some others in the area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 09:34 AM

6 posts, read 16,848 times
If i was you i would try to Avoid Harrisburg all together. Parking anywhere is crazy all ways have to feed the meter or find a parking grarge. You have to watch where you move because there are so many rip off landlords in Harrisburg

Old 08-04-2010, 10:56 AM

We have to move here for job related purposes, so we can't really avoid Harrisburg. I'm not concerned with the parking. We are looking for something outside of the downtown area so that shouldn't really be a problem. I was just wondering if those apartments I mentioned above were worth considering.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:31 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,363,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift13 View Post
If i was you i would try to Avoid Harrisburg all together. Parking anywhere is crazy all ways have to feed the meter or find a parking grarge. You have to watch where you move because there are so many rip off landlords in Harrisburg
Um, it's called a city.

And the apartment complexes the OP mentioned are not even in it.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:18 PM

Technically the apartments are in it. They have Harrisburg addresses. I understand there are different townships and boroughs, but for all practical purposes they are in Harrisburg. But, I wasn't asking for opinions about the city. I was asking about apartments.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:34 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,363,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelash View Post
Technically the apartments are in it. They have Harrisburg addresses. I understand there are different townships and boroughs, but for all practical purposes they are in Harrisburg. But, I wasn't asking for opinions about the city. I was asking about apartments.
They are not in the city, you'll learn that whenever you move there.

Some of the apartment complexes outside the city have had crime issues lately, but I haven't heard about any crime at either of these. Maybe someone else can chime in. Generally the apartments in Susquehanna township are pretty safe.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:09 AM

17 posts, read 53,902 times
Timber Ridge Townhouses is in a very residential area off of Linglestown Rd. The only trouble with that is that there has been pretty major construction on Linglestown Rd for a while. Not sure when you're planning to move, but from what I understand it creates quite a traffic problem. They say that portion should be completed by November, but you know how that goes. Here are some articles: Linglestown Rd Article1

This one is a different project, but further up the road. It could still have an impact on traffic though. Linglestown Rd Article2

Steeplechase Apts is right next to a school, which could be a good or bad thing. And it is also very close to a movie theater and upscale shopping.

Not sure about either of the actual apartments, but in my opinion the Steeplechase one might be a better location.

Since you will be new to the area, please also consider checking out the Harrisburg Young Professionals. It's a local organization dedicated to making Harrisburg a better place to live, work, and play. They have a range of events from sports, to social, to volunteering. It is a great way to grow personally and professionally, and meet new people. Here is the link: www.hyp.org

And lastly, I've lived in downtown Harrisburg City for 8 years. It has it's pluses and minuses, but it's really not as bad as everyone thinks.

Good Luck!

Old 08-05-2010, 01:35 PM

HbgGuru Thank you so much! This is very helpful. We've been to the area once, so I'm somewhat familiar with Linglestown. I noticed when I was over there that it was closed going east. So, I didn't think much of it until you just mentioned it. But, I'm sure it does cause traffic. We were thinking the same thing about Steeple Chase and location. I guess I just needed a little reassurance. And, you're right. I don't think the city is all that bad. I'm pretty excited about the move.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:54 AM

2 posts, read 2,866 times
I moved to Harrisburg City over 40 years ago and am still a proud resident. I have never seen any gang activity. I think Harrisburg has so much to offer. It is a great place to live and raise a family. As with ANY City in the U.S., there are area's where you just don't go. Harrisburg has so much to offer with superb restaurants, culture, entertainment and education. No City in the U.S. of this size has this much to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area