Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2010, 11:22 AM

6 posts, read 12,335 times

Advertisements

Although retirement time for my wife and me is still years off yet, I’d like to start thinking about eventually moving off Long Island and the metro NY area in part due to the high tax situation area. The kids will be on their own (maybe!!) by then so school systems would not have a major role in our location. We would not be concerned for any big "nightlife" either.

We both like the Shenandoah area in Virginia along I 81 as well as the southern area of PA as we’ve traveled to these spots many times and enjoy the slower pace, friendly folks & scenery. I know the cost of living varies throughout the towns but it seems less than the NY city region in regards to taxes, car insurance and other things.

Some of the things that I’d like to find in an eventual local to retire in would be:

1. Historical place – I’m a big Civil War and History buff.
2. Small town with an “Americana” look, yet close enough drive to good shopping areas and family entertainment (for the grandkids when they visit).
3. Mountain views – Always loved scenes of mountains or rolling hills to do oil paintings of.

These are the towns/cities I’ve been looking at thus far:
Lexington VA
Roanoke VA
Staunton VA
New Market VA
Sharpsburg MD
Boonsboro MD
Greencastle PA
Mercersburg PA
Lititz PA
And of course, Gettysburg PA

If anyone can give info about living in these places or suggest other great spots in these general regions to look into I’d much appreciate it.

Kevin O
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 04:46 PM

49 posts, read 162,600 times
Hi,
Your areas in PA, Lititz, central/eastern, are not going to give you the mountain views you crave, nor easy quick access to civil war cites.

Try areas west of Gettysburg, especially the area around South Mountain. they have an apple festival every year for 2 weekends in October [it just ended last week]. If you can go there next fall, I think that will "seal the deal" for you.

Of course, when you are in the South Mountain area, you can also consider that you are not too far from the MD line, and close to areas like Hagerstown and Fredericksburg, which allow you a direct line down to Washington, DC [about 90 miles] or you can go to Pittsburg or Baltimore for activities. Or Harrisburg, PA.

Also, please remember that PA does not tax your retirement income. Maryland will and so will Virginia.

Good luck in your endeavors.

k

Old 10-17-2010, 02:16 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times
I would pick Emmitsburg MD in the shadow of Catoctin Mountain. You can find a place just over the Mason-Dixon line to get PA tax benefits and Rt 15 will whisk you into Gettysburg, the Antietam , a personnel favorite Harper's Ferry and Rt 15 makes places like Manassas a day trip. In Emmitsburg is the great Catholic Semenary of St Mary's with the shrine to St. Mary Seton or Mother Seton. America's first Catholic saint.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:07 PM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaydeb View Post
Hi,
Your areas in PA, Lititz, central/eastern, are not going to give you the mountain views you crave, nor easy quick access to civil war cites.

Try areas west of Gettysburg, especially the area around South Mountain. they have an apple festival every year for 2 weekends in October [it just ended last week]. If you can go there next fall, I think that will "seal the deal" for you.

Of course, when you are in the South Mountain area, you can also consider that you are not too far from the MD line, and close to areas like Hagerstown and Fredericksburg, which allow you a direct line down to Washington, DC [about 90 miles] or you can go to Pittsburg or Baltimore for activities. Or Harrisburg, PA.

Also, please remember that PA does not tax your retirement income. Maryland will and so will Virginia.

Good luck in your endeavors.

k

I believe Md. and Va do not tax retirement income.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:44 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,235,690 times
I'd also look at Carlisle, Shippensburg, Chambersburg (all in PA), Charles Town, Harpers' Ferry, and maybe Martinsburg (in WV), and Winchester and Strasburg (in VA). Every one of those towns is at least reasonably nice and many of them are very nice IMO. Also, any place in the Great Valley (whether it's called the Shenandoah Valley or the Cumberland Valley, i.e. its the valley I-81 runs through) from about Chambersburg down south well into Virginia will have some Civil War history because the war was fought there for essentially it's entire 4 year length. (As an example, Chambersburg was burned to the ground during the war.)

FWIW, Harrisburg has the National Civil War Museum; that would be an easy trip from any of PA towns (and honestly any town along I-81 or US 15 north of Frederick) but would be particularly easy to get to from Carlisle.

Most of those places are relatively close to Washington and/or Baltimore too (within 1.5 to 2 hours).

Old 05-10-2011, 01:08 PM

92 posts, read 233,173 times
I am from Lancaster County, PA and moved to Manassas, VA. I will tell you, while northern VA is rich with history it is a RAT RACE! My husband worked 15miles from his job and it took him between 50mins-1hr 15mins and this was an 8 lane highway. All of northern VA and parts of MD are this way due to the proximity to DC. After living there for 4 years we just moved to Charles Town WV to escape the craze of the metro. It is beautiful here, everyone is so so nice(not so for NOVA) taxes are a drop in the bucket compared to MD and housing is VERY cheap(IMO). The only drawback for me is driving 30-45mins to get to good shopping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area