Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2007, 06:35 AM

2 posts, read 13,346 times

Advertisements

We will be driving from CT to Hershey....with kids.
I would like to take a "more scenic" route without adding too much more time.
It looks like I-78 will be through major cities and probably not too much landscape....according to Hybrid Google Maps, it looks like I-80 or I-84 has more rolling hills and wooded areas. Anyone have a suggestion on which route is "best" in terms of being relatively quick but not also scenic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 08:01 AM

67 posts, read 404,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHanson View Post
We will be driving from CT to Hershey....with kids.
I would like to take a "more scenic" route without adding too much more time.
It looks like I-78 will be through major cities and probably not too much landscape....according to Hybrid Google Maps, it looks like I-80 or I-84 has more rolling hills and wooded areas. Anyone have a suggestion on which route is "best" in terms of being relatively quick but not also scenic?
Hmm thats a hard one most people use the interstate so the back roads are very slow and tend to go through every small towns so you might add hours to your drive time. You could take RT309 from Wilkesbarre to Allentown then take RT222 to Reading then take RT422 and come in the eastern back way to Hershey. All are antique filled areas but lots of traffic lights on RT422 but you will be in the Reading area and theres alot of culture there probably will add a couple of hours to your trip RT309 is nice I ride a motorcycle there sometimes for the turns. If you take RT309 and the kids get cranky you can get on interstate RT78 at allentown and come to RT39 Hershey exit off RT81 and you will drive right by my house. If your going to Hershey park here is a tip go into the GIANT supermarket on RT39 about 2 miles from the park and get discount park tickets they will save you about $10 per ticket. You can also buy a throwaway cooler fill it with local cost sandwiches then during lunchtime at the park leave the park (get stamp on wrist for reentry) then picnic under the trees in the park parking lot. Cheap and much tastier. A soda at the park is $2.50 for a medium. You can spend $20 on a small lunch at the park.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:42 AM

2 posts, read 13,346 times
thanks megabyte.

I'll think about the state highways that you mention. otherwise, am I correct in thinking that the Interstates 84 and 80 from NY/CT are more scenic than I-78? (not looking at stopping too much at small towns on this leg, just want a more relaxing view rather than old-steel cities and suburbs).

also, thanks for the lunch tip...definitely will do that one.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:50 PM

522 posts, read 1,793,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHanson View Post
thanks megabyte.

I'll think about the state highways that you mention. otherwise, am I correct in thinking that the Interstates 84 and 80 from NY/CT are more scenic than I-78? (not looking at stopping too much at small towns on this leg, just want a more relaxing view rather than old-steel cities and suburbs).

also, thanks for the lunch tip...definitely will do that one.
I'd call I-80 SLIGHTLY more scenic, although there's still a whole lot of nothing on I-78 between Allentown and Hershey. I've driven both dozens of times and wouldn't say one is any more relaxing or scenic than the other, other than going though Allentown which can be quite traffic-y. If it's me- I plow on down I-78 and get to the good stuff in Hershey that much quicker. Hershey really is a unique little town and it even really does smell like Chocolate!

Captain

Old 07-12-2007, 04:43 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Default 78

I'd take 78 .......It is not all that scenic but there are some interesting things along the way. The mountain ranges are quite pretty. You also see a few barns with the Amish signs on them. Over toward the right side, once in awhile we catch a horse and buggie of the Amish going to the small, general store type place. Either parked there, or driving on a one lane road. Interesting to see........
Anyway, Hershey is so much fun that you'd rather not waste your time at lights along the way.
The little town area is very cute, and in the evening the lights there are breathtaking. All sparkling in the trees. All the animations.........
Your sure to have a wonderful time.
You could even stop at Cabelas if you have a sportsman in the family, that is along the 22/78 route.
Looks like a great fun time is coming soon.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:25 PM

414 posts, read 1,779,130 times
I would suggest taking I-84 to Scranton and at Scranton, get on I-81 southbound which has many wonderful vistas (across mountains and huge broad valleys).......you won't regret it. You'll have to leave I-81 just northwest of Hershey and spend about 15-20 mles on state routes...scenic ones and well marked for Hershey. The combo of I-84 and I-81 is far more scenic than 78 and equally fast. I've driven them all, more than thrice......

MapQuest puts driving time from Hartford to Hershey via 84-78 etc at 5 hours, 1 minute; or from Hartford to Scranton at 3 hours, 19 and Scranton to Hershey at 1 hour 58 (from downtown) or about 15 minutes or so more........but more scenic IMO and no NYC traffic......do be aware of any construction delays on PA interstates, for example there's a bad one on 80 near Berwick at Rte. 11 where a bridge is being rebuilt......

Last edited by WasPA; 07-12-2007 at 06:53 PM..

Old 07-13-2007, 08:13 AM

67 posts, read 404,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasPA View Post
You'll have to leave I-81 just northwest of Hershey and spend about 15-20 mles on state routes...
Its exactly 7 minutes from the exit on RT81 (exit 77) on RT39 to Hershey park drive with the park right in front of you. I live on RT39.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area