Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2007, 09:23 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,692,770 times

Advertisements

What is there to do here? Is there a restaurant? I understand there's mini golf and a paddlewheel ride. What are the prices like? Is there anything else for kids to do? Is it hard to get to? What is parking like on a Sunday afternoon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 10:11 AM

99 posts, read 466,907 times
city island has a lot to offer kids (train ride, swimming, miniature golf, etc.). If you have kids, you should start there. I believe parking is free on the weekends.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:00 PM

33 posts, read 239,428 times
City Island has a baseball field, walking/biking path, batting cages, miniature golf, arcade, concession stands, and a beach. On holidays, its a GREAT place to go see fireworks - they always have spectacular displays launched from the north end of the island. I usually go there for Baseball games

Its very easy to get to - there are Plenty of signs around the downtown area to point you in the right direction. As far as parking goes... as long as there isn't a home baseball game scheduled that day, you'll be fine on finding a close parking spot.

Harrisburg has quite a few annual festivals on the riverfront area... Kipona, arts & music festivals, plus holiday and charity events to name a few. Getting to city Island on these days will be tuff and the parking will most likely be limited.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:19 PM

92 posts, read 393,788 times
I think parking is $2.

Old 07-20-2007, 12:59 PM

33 posts, read 239,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
Is there a restaurant?
No restaurants on City Island - but there are lots of concession stands. However 2nd street (just a few minutes walk or drive) has a great selection of fine dining restaurants, if thats what your looking for?

Old 07-20-2007, 06:04 PM

222 posts, read 1,411,140 times
The train ride costs 2 dollars, it is a short tiny ride around the island, the kids will love it though. its free to park, unless theres a senator's game, then i think it's 6 dollars. many people park there and walk acrss the pedestrian bridge, walnut street bridge aka camelback bridge. it's pretty neat, if you look at the harrisburg city entry it has it light up at night, one of the photos i took myself. it does have mini golf for the kids, they have tons of small stands that sell things like water, hotdogs, burgers, chips, snacks. they can be pricey though, watch out, it wouldnt hurt to pack your own picnic lunch, they have boathouse and a small beach on the northside. it is a grate place to take some pictures of harrisburgs skyline. they have a replica of john harris' trading post there, along with a boat dock. you can go on a carriage ride around the coty for like 20 dollars. or what most people do is park, walk across hte bridge and explore harrisburg city, you dont have to worry about parking tuckets or checking the meter. it's pretty safe. they have batting cages where you can play ball. they have a few of the cows from the cowparade there too, if you like that stuff, a gazebo, all kinds of stuff, its okay. but if you go to harrisburg you can go on a free tour of the state capitol building, its open till 5 pm on saturdays, and also go to the state museum, its a walk i guess, but well worth it. strawberry square is good too. it has a lot of upscale restaurants there. some sports bars and then a few sleazy places. haha my favorite was the speros gyro place on walnut street. you should enjoy it if you spend the day there. second street is kind of like rt 15 in selinsgrove. lots of different places to eat and shop. it's okay i guess nothing fancy, but tons of people love it. emasil with any specific questions, good luck ~Dan~

Old 07-20-2007, 08:02 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,692,770 times
Wow! There's more to do there than I thought. We'll be there the afternoon of Sunday, July 29 if all goes well (and it doesn't rain). I'll have to check the Senators website and hope they don't have a home game then.

Thanks for all your quick replies.

Okay, I just checked. The Senators are away that day. Whew!!

Last edited by Dawne; 07-20-2007 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: Additions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area