U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 10:48 PM

19,874 posts, read 10,680,097 times

Advertisements

My brother and I will be in Pennsylvania tent camping, but then driving out to historical places as we are both big history buffs. Is it worth going to the Civil War Museum in Harrisburg or does it not have many things and is corny?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 07:22 AM

390 posts, read 1,414,595 times
I'm a huge Civil War buff and when I heard about the museum I was excited that one would be closer to where I live.

I anxiously waited for its completion and opening. I couldn't wait to visit the shining museum on the hill overlooking Harrisburg.

Finally, the day arrived and we made the 50 mile drive to Harrisburg to visit the much heralded new super museum. As soon as we walked in the entrance door we were smacked with PC. As a history buff, I always like to see and hear both sides of historical events. The museum delivers a total one-sided perspective of the war. It is nothing more than a temple to Lincoln and he is regarded as a god.

The museum is very spacious but was also very empty. Most of the displays are northern artifacts and they have small media rooms with flat screen monitors showing per-war propaganda by actors in period costumes. They only discuss the northern perspective for going to war. Anyone with a little knowledge of pre-civil war America can see the bias .

The museum was a huge disappointment and I will never go back. I've even tried to forget about it since I realized I wasted a day and the money to go there.

Yes, it is corny to the extreme and it doesn't have much unless you have a penchant for looking at cardboard standee cutouts of Lincoln on display throughout the museum. Don't waste your time and money.

If you want real civil war history and great museums, drive the extra 30 minutes to Gettysburg which is just 30 miles below Harrisburg. You can visit the 'Cavalry Field' where a real Michigan hero, George Custer saved the union's rear by preventing an attack by Jeb Stuart. Custer never really got the credit he deserved for his action in Gettysburg. He was one of the unsung heroes of the battle.

Have a great time during your visit here.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:39 AM

Thanks for your opinion. We are already planning on going to Gettysburg (this will be my 4th time there) and we know about Custer and East Cavalry Field -- but I appreciate the suggestion! We were planning on checking out the State Museum of Pennsylvania and wondered if the Civil War Museum was worth it when we got into Harrisburg for that day!

Speaking of which, I want to see Valley Forge!

Old 07-14-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Thanks for your opinion. We are already planning on going to Gettysburg (this will be my 4th time there) and we know about Custer and East Cavalry Field -- but I appreciate the suggestion! We were planning on checking out the State Museum of Pennsylvania and wondered if the Civil War Museum was worth it when we got into Harrisburg for that day!

Speaking of which, I want to see Valley Forge!
That's only maybe an hour or two away. I'm not sure, but I think you have to take the PA turnpike or the SureKill Expressway.

The East Cavalry Field is the most quite place on battlefield. Hardly a tourist goes there.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:23 PM

222 posts, read 1,320,980 times
The museum is about 45 minutes northeast of gettysburg. take rt 15 north from gettysburg, go through dillsburg, grantham, camp hill, and then finally wormleysburg, you can take the harvey taylor bypass across the river and you'll run right into it, once in harrisburg there are lots of signs, that will point you there. is forester, state and then walnut. i have visited it nopt once but twice, i am interested in all history not just civil war. it is definalty worth seeing if you are in the area. people always think the only thing harrisburg has is the bars on second street. that's not true. there is also the state museum, which has free admission. i'll agree with the half empty / half full thing. they do run a promotion where it's free 1 day a year, and if you buy the entertainment book they have b1g1 tickets, and also discounts online. gettysburg is a very nice place to relax and spend the day, have lunch and take a few photos. it has all the necessities also just outside of town sheetz and giant are on york road.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:58 PM

What are sheetz and giant? Are they restaraunts? I think i once saw a sheetx hamburger sign driving through PA, if so, we don't have those anywhere in Michigan.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:00 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,235,514 times
Sheetz is a gas station/convenience store, like a 7-Eleven only bigger. Giant is a grocery store.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:50 PM

5 posts, read 19,843 times
Default completely agree, sudquehannock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susquehannock View Post
I'm a huge Civil War buff and when I heard about the museum I was excited that one would be closer to where I live.

I anxiously waited for its completion and opening. I couldn't wait to visit the shining museum on the hill overlooking Harrisburg.

Finally, the day arrived and we made the 50 mile drive to Harrisburg to visit the much heralded new super museum. As soon as we walked in the entrance door we were smacked with PC. As a history buff, I always like to see and hear both sides of historical events. The museum delivers a total one-sided perspective of the war. It is nothing more than a temple to Lincoln and he is regarded as a god.

The museum is very spacious but was also very empty. Most of the displays are northern artifacts and they have small media rooms with flat screen monitors showing per-war propaganda by actors in period costumes. They only discuss the northern perspective for going to war. Anyone with a little knowledge of pre-civil war America can see the bias .

The museum was a huge disappointment and I will never go back. I've even tried to forget about it since I realized I wasted a day and the money to go there.

Yes, it is corny to the extreme and it doesn't have much unless you have a penchant for looking at cardboard standee cutouts of Lincoln on display throughout the museum. Don't waste your time and money.

If you want real civil war history and great museums, drive the extra 30 minutes to Gettysburg which is just 30 miles below Harrisburg. You can visit the 'Cavalry Field' where a real Michigan hero, George Custer saved the union's rear by preventing an attack by Jeb Stuart. Custer never really got the credit he deserved for his action in Gettysburg. He was one of the unsung heroes of the battle.

Have a great time during your visit here.
My 17 year old son is a Civil War buff applying to Gettysburg College this coming year and we spent this summer seeing a lot of museums and battlefields. There were some real disappointments, like the Jamestown settlement. Talk about P.C.! I'd call it more an indictment of our history and who we are. At the end of the exhibit, they list all the accomplishments of the early settlers, and one of them was "annihilation of indigineous peoples.' Not one monument or statue to any white man, only the African slaves and numerous Native Americans whose names I have never heard of. If the Jamestown settlwment was such a terrible moment in history, why bother to erect a multimillion dollar museum to it> I asked the curator why there was no statue of John Smith or any of the others, and he said to me:"Well, we do have their names on a plaque." Wow. What are we teaching all those little kids I saw there? To have so little affection for our own history that we can't possibly love our own country or what we did. i hope my son helps to change this when he's an adult--someone on this board stated that they did not like Gettysburg College, but I have to say, after extensive research of colleges across this country with their history departments, it is one of the very very few who have not politicized their history dept. with revisionist dogma. It is a shame that the battlefield at Gettysburg is not emulated more at other sites like that Harrisburg museum.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Talk about P.C.! I'd call it more an indictment of our history.....
That's exactly the way Harrisburg CW museum is. One thing the PC history police won't mention is that the first slaves in Jamestown were Irish.

Quote:
It is a shame that the battlefield at Gettysburg is not emulated more at other sites like that Harrisburg museum

Here's some bad news. I know several battlefield guides and I talk to one of the park rangers on occasions. I also have an old high school friend who was a history professor and has written many books on the subject. He also worked on the Time-Life series of civil war books. Here's what I have gathered from my discussions with them. Several years ago, Gettysburg got a new park superintendent. He is slowly changing the guide programs into PC, such as teaching that war was mostly about slavery to the tourists They never did that before and their programs were very balanced. Now, it will probably be more one-sided like Harrisburg. It makes me wonder what the new National Museum will be like when it's completed.

My first thought of the Harrisburg CW museum was that it was created to indoctrinate young minds and those who are not familiar with the real issues which led to the war. Another poster on this thread made my point about the Harrisburg museum without realizing it.

Your son will love Gettysburg and I wish him all the best. It's great to read that some young minds are still capable of thinking for themselves instead of the nanny state doing it for them. The Antietam Battlefield is only about 30 miles south of Gettysburg. He'll be in history buff nirvana.

Old 07-15-2007, 06:52 PM

67 posts, read 384,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
My brother and I will be in Pennsylvania tent camping, but then driving out to historical places as we are both big history buffs. Is it worth going to the Civil War Museum in Harrisburg or does it not have many things and is corny?
Well alot of the items are fake, when mayor Reed went nuts and spent rediculous amounts of money for all antique items including western items his proxies got rolled. I personally know of many items that where made for his proxies to purchase then given a kickback. Many of the western items are now being sold to pay for the city budget shortfalls and namely the harrisburg incinerator debacle. Its great to visit but if your a purist its not for you the civil war museum at Gettysburg is better. Im a militaria collector and I have been to many get togethers of historians who havent been to the civil war museum at harrisburg but have been many times to the excellent museums in virginia and gettysburg. One good thing about the museum is it isnt crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area