U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 10:48 AM

3 posts, read 8,886 times

Advertisements

My husband may be getting transfered to the Harrisburg area. We are in our late 30's and have a 3 year old. I've been doing some research on the area and am getting alittle afraid that were going to be moving to hickville. We are looking for a safe,suburban neighborhood with young familys and great schools. From what I've read Camp hill, Hummelstown or Lingelstown??? We don't from a big city now but we do need shopping and things to do. Which side of Harrisburg ,the east or west is there least commute time into the city of Harrisburg . Also between these areas or any that you suggest which are growing with business and familys? Thankyou for your help
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 11:34 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,289,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom30 View Post
My husband may be getting transfered to the Harrisburg area. We are in our late 30's and have a 3 year old. I've been doing some research on the area and am getting alittle afraid that were going to be moving to hickville. We are looking for a safe,suburban neighborhood with young familys and great schools. From what I've read Camp hill, Hummelstown or Lingelstown??? We don't from a big city now but we do need shopping and things to do. Which side of Harrisburg ,the east or west is there least commute time into the city of Harrisburg . Also between these areas or any that you suggest which are growing with business and familys? Thankyou for your help
Camp Hill is definitely going to be the easiest commute. It also has the best shopping on the west shore, and it's the least "hick" of the Harrisburg suburbs. Hummelstown is also nice but it is a longer commute and has less shopping nearby.

Old 07-19-2007, 11:59 AM

92 posts, read 366,921 times
I also suggest Mechanicsburg...Hampden and Silver Spring Townships. Slightly farther commute, but worth it. Good schools (Cumberland Valley School District) and lots of new shopping and restaurants going in. We have a 7-yr. old and have been very happy with the area. Also, my husband works in Harrisburg (downtown) and doesn't mind the commute at all. I work in Camp Hill and the commute isn't bad either. If you have any questions let me know.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:21 PM

67 posts, read 384,806 times
I live near Linglestown and its more hickville. But it has alot of new townhouses and housing areas and it has the largest growth potential. Shopping is on RT22 and very very close. The heart of Harrisburg is 7 minutes down RT81. Hershey is 7 minutes the other way down RT39. Hummelstown is closer to Hershey its ok too. I choose Linglestown area 15 years ago because I wanted to build my house and I wanted land at least 1 acre. Now its growing so fast my property has doubled in value. We just built a new high school very close to linglestown. Cumberland Valley (mechanicsburg) probably has the best school of the three areas you mentioned its mostly middle to upper income attendees. Real estate in the area is more costly.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:47 PM

13 posts, read 53,268 times
Default West Shore

Your house will hold or increase in value more on the West Shore(-sorry E Shore).... Camp Hill is fine, small school district- has benefits and drawbacks. Cumberland Valley- big district, also great but that has drawbacks too. There is Mechanicsburg itself too..but why not Hershey? you know, when 'commute' is written around here, it is not like a real commute other places. Driving to Harrisburg might mean 10-15 minutes around here. Linglestown schools are absorbed in a large school district.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:12 PM

8 posts, read 33,368 times
I just moved to Harrisburg, and you might want to check out the Colonial Park area or Penbrook. Those are pretty nice places. I just moved from northern Va (DC Metro) and there are plenty of similar stores around here, and my kids love it here so far. We are renting until we find the right place for us to buy, but are also considering Camp Hill. However, it's more pricey than the Colonial Park area of Harrisburg.

Old 07-22-2007, 09:13 AM

487 posts, read 1,281,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llzpa View Post
I also suggest Mechanicsburg...Hampden and Silver Spring Townships. Slightly farther commute, but worth it. Good schools (Cumberland Valley School District) and lots of new shopping and restaurants going in. We have a 7-yr. old and have been very happy with the area. Also, my husband works in Harrisburg (downtown) and doesn't mind the commute at all. I work in Camp Hill and the commute isn't bad either. If you have any questions let me know.
I second llzpa's suggestion.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:46 AM
PUB

25 posts, read 103,446 times
Much of Mechanicsburg is hickville from what I saw at jubilee day. If you value your childrens education send them to Harrisburg Academy. It is the best money you will ever spend on them.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:30 AM

3 posts, read 8,886 times
Question Confused, East or West shore ???

We visited this weekend and we were pleasantly surprised. We spent more time on the West shore, Camp hill and surrounding areas. Seems like residents take pride in ownership. We parked at City Island and walked to Harrisburg, people seemed freindly and I felt pretty safe in a "big city", granted we didn't venture out past Strawberry Square. I was surprised that the sidewalks and curbs were terrible even in the "good" section of Harrisburg., I tripped about 3 times. Thats ok we won't be living there.

We spent time on the east shore(Linglestown) as well, not alot but we were surprised that there was so much shopping, seemed to be more than Camp Hill. We didn't make it to Hummlestown, I regret that now. This is our dilema which side, can anyone explain the differnce between both, or is there? Funny, people that live on East said I would never live on the west and vice versa. They both seemed ok to us, but of course as outsiders what do we know. We just don't want to regret anything and make the wrong desision because we are looking to buy or build. Also a big thing is growth and business in the area, my husband does industrial sales so we need business in the area to eat!!

Old 07-30-2007, 08:22 PM

2 posts, read 6,528 times
Smile Thoughts on both East and West Shore

I was born and raised in Camp Hill, graduating from Camp Hill High School. Yes, it is a small district, but I am so very thankful and extremely proud to say I am a Camp Hill grad, just as most are. The teachers are fabulous and I believe they still have their graduating classes with over 90% going to college. Camp Hill (unlike a lot of communities) is still, dare I say, as safe as it was when I was a child there 20+ years ago. The children still ride their bikes to the pool, or the park and it is truly a fantastic place to raise your children. I also agree, that Mechanicsburg has similiar characteristics of CH. Furthermore, another fantastic place to raise a family, that I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is Susquehanna Township in Harrisburg where I have resided for seven years. Susq. Twp carries a good reputation similar to Camp Hill, and has pretty high taxes in the Central PA area, but also has good schools and a strong community. There are several, and more areas that Camp Hill, that have great family friendly communites. I highly recommend Susq. Twp as a place to look into for raising a family. I live within walking distance of a development called Woodbridge Estates that's probably around 25-30 years old, and has an abundance of families with growing children who are always out playing together, riding bikes, etc. Oh, and as a big-time shopper, there are plenty of shopping conveniences on both shores. Whether you're in CH, Susq. Twp, or Mech, you are only about 5 mintues from a mall or grocery store, movie theater, etc....And the East Coast's largest shopping mall - King of Prussia, is only an hour and 20 minutes east of Harrisburg!! Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area