U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2011, 03:00 PM

351 posts, read 612,468 times

Advertisements

I'm living in Phoenix AZ and I love greenery, grass, trees, and rain, so what am I doing here? I have some relatives in Lancaster and I have been thinking of moving to Lebanon where there is a VA hospital. I've never lived back east so I'm wondering how the culture shock would be for me at 63 years old?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2011, 08:33 PM

4,270 posts, read 10,800,627 times
Maybe search some past threads on here, areas souh and west of but not in the City of Lebanon seem of most interest to the typical relocatee.

Also since Lebanon isn't in Cumberland, Dauphin, or Perry county it may be considered the general PA forum by the moderators here.

Check out the sticky at the top of the forums for a list of common questions to answer before the long-time posters can provide more helpful replies.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:51 AM

45 posts, read 98,501 times
I wasn't too fond of living in Lebanon county, the area is just too slow-paced for me.

The inner-city of Lebanon is rather dirty and rough. But you don't have to go too far outside the city for some lovely areas.

Very close to the city, Northern Lebanon has your green and trees. It is inexpensive, run-down in some areas, a bit rural, but it is small-townish and quiet. A bit to the south, North Cornwall also seemed very nice.

Going to the west a bit, you've got Cleona then Annville. Annville is a small college town, so there are a handful of nice restaurants, a small independent theater, and goings-ons happenings from time to time. Even in Annville, you're just a 10-12 minute drive from the city of Lebanon. I would not recommend looking east of the city.

The area surrounding the city is very green, lots of trees. There are quite a few parks and recreational areas. I would often pack a picnic lunch and go to a local park to read under the trees, and next to a stream. The county is rather slow-paced, you wont find a whole lot of hustle and bustle. Even one of the two anchor stores in the Lebanon Valley Mall is closed on Sundays (Hobby Lobby).

I'm afraid I cant speak to the culture shock, as I've never been to Phoenix. Though there was quite a bit of culture shock for me when I moved from a Harrisburg suburb to Lebanon county, as I was not prepared for such a slow pace. But if that's what you think you might like, I'm sure you could find a town around the area that suits you!

Old 02-10-2011, 07:52 PM

13,453 posts, read 24,048,349 times
I have to 2nd or 3rd - it would be a culture shock. Husband is from there, we went back for a reunion - hotel was horrible (brand name chain) - downtown was sad - lots of closed up storefronts. We did have a good time visiting his friends but it's certainly not anywhere I would consider moving to.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:52 PM

17,604 posts, read 23,064,205 times
Iwas thinking the same thing, both my son and I use the VA and need to be close enough to be taken there by ambulance. I think there is still a commisary on Ft Indiantown Gap and a VA Cemetary there. I lived in the West Valley outside Phoenix and also went to FTIG when I lived in PA.
Traffic will be a lot better and you sure won't have to worry about 117 degree days. You may have to learn to put up with Wood Chucks, chuckin yer wood !

I'll subscribe to this thread to see what comes up

Old 02-16-2011, 11:13 AM

17 posts, read 53,788 times
I agree with many of the posters, the urban core of Lebanon has seen much better days, like most east coast industrial centers. The area though, is beautiful. Rolling hills with farms dating to the 18th Century, plenty of parks, walking trails, and some really great food! The Anneville-Cleona area is very nice, as is Hershey just over the border in Dauphin County. As for a culture shock, definitely slower pace of life, shopping at farmers markets instead of big box stores is always a luxury in my opinion, possibly more religiously grounded people, especially Amish, though it's not really a big deal, most people are much nicer than most big cities I've been to. I'm glad to hear you're considering the move from Phoenix though, I visited there and HATED it, the traffic and general suburban feel of the city with all the fake lawns really got to me throughout my week spent there. Come to PA, you'll like it here, just bring a coat.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mea5043 View Post
I agree with many of the posters, the urban core of Lebanon has seen much better days, like most east coast industrial centers. The area though, is beautiful. Rolling hills with farms dating to the 18th Century, plenty of parks, walking trails, and some really great food! The Anneville-Cleona area is very nice, as is Hershey just over the border in Dauphin County. As for a culture shock, definitely slower pace of life, shopping at farmers markets instead of big box stores is always a luxury in my opinion, possibly more religiously grounded people, especially Amish, though it's not really a big deal, most people are much nicer than most big cities I've been to. I'm glad to hear you're considering the move from Phoenix though, I visited there and HATED it, the traffic and general suburban feel of the city with all the fake lawns really got to me throughout my week spent there. Come to PA, you'll like it here, just bring a coat.
I for one lived in PA most of my life and even worked at the VA in Coatesville. I was also in the Reserves and went to FTIG regularly. Phoenix is unbelievable. I've spent over 3 hours getting from one side of the city to the other on the interstate. Sierra vista is nice and up in the mountains, I live at 4800 ft. But lacks the VA Hospital (not clinic) I need. Does anyone know if there is still a commissary on FTIG?

Old 02-16-2011, 04:10 PM

4,270 posts, read 10,800,627 times
AAFES comes up negative for FTIG - nearest might be Carlisle Barracks.

Old 02-16-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
AAFES comes up negative for FTIG - nearest might be Carlisle Barracks.
They are part of Carlisle Barricks AAFES, there used to be a Commisary on FTIG not sure if it is still there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area