U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 3,849 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to Pa this summer. I am trying to decide between camp hill or hershey area. Concerned about schools, safe location, anticipated growth and potential rise in property value. I've heard good things about both. thanks for any info.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 10:08 PM

92 posts, read 371,569 times
Is there a reason you are only looking at those two towns? Are you planning to rent or buy?

Old 07-24-2007, 09:16 AM

67 posts, read 387,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move2pa View Post
I'll be moving to Pa this summer. I am trying to decide between camp hill or hershey area. Concerned about schools, safe location, anticipated growth and potential rise in property value. I've heard good things about both. thanks for any info.
Well Hershey for Schools it has the best in the area maybe the state. All those chocolete dollars (taxes) but be aware the taxes in the Hershey area are higher than everywhere else. Buts its real nice and they have alot of parks the police department and fire are excellent. Camphill is probably second but I would not choose to live there its way to overbuilt for my tastes and somewhat expensive (property values) for what you get. You could do better in cumberland valley school district (nice schools). I guess it depends on where your working and how much money you plan to spend on your house.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:02 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,313,699 times
Just a curiosity question on my part - will the move of Hershey Foods (some or all of it - I'm not clear on that) to Mexico affect the town of Hershey?

I agree with megabyte that Hershey would be preferable to Camp Hill, if those were your only two choices.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:06 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,345,382 times
For every job lost at at the Hershey factory, a high-tech job is being gained at the medical center. I don't think it will hurt the town much at all, but if anything it will mean the town will continue to get less affordable for the working class as most of those people move out and higher-income folks move in.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
Just a curiosity question on my part - will the move of Hershey Foods (some or all of it - I'm not clear on that) to Mexico affect the town of Hershey?

I agree with megabyte that Hershey would be preferable to Camp Hill, if those were your only two choices.
Remains to be seen but I have heard a serious percentage of jobs will shift. Derry Township (Hershey) gets alot of tax revenue from the production of chocolete. Im sure they will figure out how to move their tax liability south of the boarder also. There are lot of other places to live in central PA. All the schools with the exception of harrisburg city are decent. Many are modern with excellent after school activities.

Old 07-24-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
For every job lost at at the Hershey factory, a high-tech job is being gained at the medical center. I don't think it will hurt the town much at all, but if anything it will mean the town will continue to get less affordable for the working class as most of those people move out and higher-income folks move in.
What if your occupation doesnt involve the medical field? Last time I looked the medical center wasnt anywhere in the same league of tax revenue or even jobs as the chocolete plant. I agree there has been alot of growth in the med center as of late but unless your going to work there how can it benefit the average person living in the area? At some point the construction will end and music will stop playing.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megabyte View Post
What if your occupation doesnt involve the medical field? Last time I looked the medical center wasnt anywhere in the same league of tax revenue or even jobs as the chocolete plant. I agree there has been alot of growth in the med center as of late but unless your going to work there how can it benefit the average person living in the area? At some point the construction will end and music will stop playing.
Not really, the bio science field is huge right now and should continue growing for years to come. They are undergoing a major construction project and adding a ton of new office space for high-tech companies and businesses moving in. The trickle-down effect will easily negate any negative effects the chocolate plant closing will have. Not to mention, the Hershey Company's corporate offices will continue to be located in Hershey.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
Not really, the bio science field is huge right now and should continue growing for years to come. They are undergoing a major construction project and adding a ton of new office space for high-tech companies and businesses moving in. The trickle-down effect will easily negate any negative effects the chocolate plant closing will have. Not to mention, the Hershey Company's corporate offices will continue to be located in Hershey.
I have already heard about Derry Township panicing about the loss of revenue and alternate ways of coming up with the shortfall in tax raises.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megabyte View Post
Well Hershey for Schools it has the best in the area maybe the state. All those chocolete dollars (taxes) but be aware the taxes in the Hershey area are higher than everywhere else. Buts its real nice and they have alot of parks the police department and fire are excellent. Camphill is probably second but I would not choose to live there its way to overbuilt for my tastes and somewhat expensive (property values) for what you get. You could do better in cumberland valley school district (nice schools). I guess it depends on where your working and how much money you plan to spend on your house.
The Camp Hill School District is actually the best in terms of test scores in Central PA. And being a smaller school they emphasize academics over sports. Cumberland Valley is a close second, but a much larger school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area