Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 11:34 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,600,793 times

Advertisements

Harrisburg-Carlisle rated 37th most affordable housing market in U.S.
Posted by DAN MILLER, Of The Patriot-News February 29, 2008 10:22AM

Harrisburg-Carlisle rated 37th most affordable housing market in U.S. - Business with The Patriot-News - PennLive.com

Last edited by scirocco22; 04-01-2008 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: copyright issues
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 05:34 PM

Harrisburg, Carlisle, York areas grow slightly, Census estimates
by DIANA FISHLOCK, Of The Patriot-News
Thursday March 27, 2008, 4:49 PM

Harrisburg, Carlisle, York areas grow slightly, Census estimates - Midstate PA Local News, Weather, Sports & Entertainment - PennLive.com

Last edited by scirocco22; 04-01-2008 at 07:09 PM..

Old 04-08-2008, 07:55 PM

City Council OKs office tower for Second Street woohoo!
by JOHN LUCIEW

Tuesday April 08, 2008, 7:40 PM
After several weeks of delay, Harrisburg City Council tonight approved plans for an 18-story retail and office tower at North Second and Locust streets.

City Council OKs office tower for Second Street - Midstate PA Local News, Weather, Sports & Entertainment - PennLive.com

http://http://www.centralpennbusiness.com/img/photos/harrisburg%20210%20n%202nd%202%20slider.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-09-2008, 11:35 PM

Harrisburg Mayor Stephen Reed gave the state of the city address tonight. Among the highlights:

Economic development grew by 68% in 2007 over the previous year. 1,840 building permits were issued generating $266.5 million dollars of investment in the city.
  • 100 houses are currently being rehabilitated in the city's Old Uptown neighborhood
  • 222 new houses were recently completed in the Governor's Square neighborhood with more on the way
  • Market Place townhomes began construction, and Capitol Heights continues as well
  • $22 million dollar condominium, restaurant and office project on North Front street to begin construction soon
  • 25 new townhomes on South 16th street in Allison Hill
  • Residential projects currently underway or proposed represent 1,500 new units
  • Widening of 7th street will begin later this year, with 2nd street between Division and Forster becoming a two-way road
  • Staybridge Hotel on Wildwood Lake Drive currently under construction, with restaurant on the way
  • Commerce View office building almost completed on Cameron and Herr street (on a former vacant lot) with 215,000 sq. feet of office space
  • Campus Square Project at 3rd and Reilly will begin construction adding retail, 71,000 sq. feet of office space a new movie theater
  • Harrisburg University of Science and Technology's new 16-story academic center will be completed later this year
  • Harrisburg Area Community College Midtown Campus and Messiah College's Downtown Institute opened in 2007

Full text: Full text of Reed's 'State of the City' speech - Midstate PA Local News, Weather, Sports & Entertainment - PennLive.com

Old 05-08-2008, 02:27 PM

New construction booms in Harrisburg's "Olde Uptown"
by JOHN LUCIEW
Thursday May 08, 2008, 3:09 PM

Construction is booming in a section of Harrisburg that hasn't seen meaningful investment since the flooding of Tropical Storm Agnes in 1972.

Painters perched on ladders apply much-needed fresh coats to porches, window frames and awnings of turn-of-the century row homes along the 1800, 1900 and 2000 blocks of Green, Penn and Susquehanna streets.

Read more

^ While riding my bike through this neighborhood the other day I ran into the developer, Alex Hartzler. He is currently renovating over 100 properties in Harrisburg's Old Uptown, which is just above Midtown. Once one of Harrisburg's most dangerous and abandoned residential areas, new homes are filling up with young professionals who are finding out they can get more bang for their buck in Old Uptown rather than Midtown which has been mostly gentrified for a decade.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,572 times
Default Harrisburg Development Page

I have decided to document the status of major development projects in Harrisburg. To accomplish this, I have begun the Harrisburg Development Page. None of the information hosted there is new. It all has been recorded in press releases, newspaper articles, and public records. This information has not been consolidated into one place, until now! I plan to keep it updated, and I look forward to your tips for new or missed projects or updates. In the future, you’ll always find a link to it in my sidebar.

http://karnsquality.com/harrisburg-development-page/ (broken link)

Last edited by yosh; 05-19-2008 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: bad link

Old 05-21-2008, 11:19 PM

578 posts, read 2,090,943 times
I was curious about Harrisburg

1) Is this rural or suburban?
-Is it undergoing intensive developement?
-If suburban...where do the people commute?

2) What is the area's general allegiance to?
-Is it to Philly, Pittsburgh, and PA or to Baltimore or both?

3) What TV stations do you get?

4) What sports teams do people root?

Thanks.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:40 PM

PNC Bank's Economic Forecast for the Harrisburg metro was recently released: https://www.pnc.com/webapp/unsec/Req...Harrisburg.pdf

Among the highlights, the Harrisburg economy is exceeding the national average for job growth and house appreciation is continuing despite the national downturn. Household income is growing at the national average, after several years of slower growth. Office demand is weaker but is expected to stay positive.

Overall, the Harrisburg economy is strong and improving its position relative to not just the rest of the state but also the national economy. Great news!

Old 06-24-2008, 01:59 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,725,214 times
for what it's worth, I'm not considering Harrisburg as a possible place to live, or "settle down" as it were. I recently took the train out there to putz around the state capitol and was pleased with what I found. It's not center city Philly, but the downtown was suprisingly vibrant. I liked the Broad St Market where I had far too much to eat before buying some fresh produce and waddling back downtown. what really got me thinking, though, was when I read about an 18 story office building and, perhaps more importantly, the governors' sq development. specifically, how affordable it seems to be to live there and get what appears to be a reasonably vibrant city. I figured you must not have the extreme high cost of construction that Philadelphia has (which is the real reason it's so expensive). another thing that piqued my interest was the land value taxation. Still, it's 95 to 105 min by train to Philly. If they could lop off another 15 min that would make the decision easier. the other place I hope to look at is Pittsburgh.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:13 PM

4 posts, read 12,942 times
Default 2 months

We are relocating to the area soon, my Husband is coming up in mid August and I will follow Sept/Oct.. We are actually going to the Elizabethtown area. I hear that is close to Harrisburg. I could use some help finding how to apply for work at the schhol or for the Etown school board (I am told they have their own school system, but I cannot find anything) I work in accounting. ANy help would be appreciated.
=)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area