Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 08:16 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,619,814 times

Advertisements

With all the discussion of Harrisburg recently, I thought I'd create a one-stop thread for anyone interested in moving to or learning about the Harrisburg area. Anyone is welcome to post links to real estate or any other resource that they think might be helpful to others. I will also post relevant news articles on the region.

Harrisburg City Information:
Harrisburg Patriot News
City of Harrisburg Official Website (broken link)
Downtown Improvement District (Downtown restaurants/clubs/things to do)
Friends of Midtown, Harrisburg (Midtown Information)
Harrisburg Young Professionals
Whitaker Center for Science and Arts (IMAX and performance theater, children's science museum) (broken link)
Harrisburg City Events (includes City Island information)
Midtown Cinema and film festivals
The Burg Blurg
Harrisburg Symphony
Theater Harrisburg
Susquehanna Art Museum
Harrisburg City Schools:
Harrisburg City School District
Harrisburg Private School links

County Websites:
Dauphin County Official Website (Harrisburg/Hershey)
Cumberland County Official Website (Carlisle, Mechanicsburg, Camp Hill)

Tourist Information:
PA Capital Region
Cumberland Valley
Hershey, PA
State Museum of Pennsylvania
Indian Echo Caverns
Middletown-Hummelstown Railroad

Travel:
Harrisburg International Airport
Amtrak (stops in downtown Harrisburg with high speed service to Philadelphia)
Capital Area Transit (CAT)

Higher Education:
Harrisburg Area Community College
Harrisburg University
Central Pennsylvania College
Suburban School Districts (west shore):
Camp Hill
West Shore
East Pennsboro
Cumberland Valley
Mechanicsburg Area
Carlisle Area (broken link)
Suburban School Districts (east shore):
Susquehanna Township
Lower Dauphin
Central Dauphin
Derry Township (Hershey)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 08:21 PM

Proposed building to deliver river views
Structure's 19 levels would help ease deficit in office, retail space
Tuesday, July 24, 2007
BY FORD TURNER
Of The Patriot-News

A proposed 19-level office and retail building in downtown Harrisburg could, in one swoop, erase the city's deficiency in luxury office space and give people a place to gaze for miles over the Susquehanna River valley as they sip mixed drinks.
Moderator cut: copyrights

FORD TURNER: 255-8486 or fturner@patriot-news.com

Last edited by Yac; 12-08-2007 at 03:13 AM..

Old 07-24-2007, 08:22 PM

Study ranks region high in attracting business
Posted by Dan Miller/The Patriot-News July 24, 2007 11:18AM
Categories: Breaking News, Business, Government, Midstate

Greater Harrisburg ranks among the top areas in the nation for attracting new businesses and business expansion, according to one study.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-12-2007 at 01:42 AM.. Reason: [cut - too much of the article reposted]

Old 07-24-2007, 09:02 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Instead of utilizing floors 2-6 for parking, why not build an underground, multi-level parking garage and put office space into floors 2-6? Then you could decrease the height of the building by several floors, and that would alleviate some of the other concerns about having a high-rise building located in a somewhat low-rise, historically-oriented neighborhood. I personally wouldn't want to be shopping in a store on the first floor only to hear cars zooming over my head! Then again, the new Molly Brannigan's Irish Pub in Downtown Scranton is built into the first-floor of a multi-story parking garage, and you wouldn't even know it while enjoying a nice meal there.

I also think it might prove beneficial to include several floors of residential condominium space overlooking the river in the proposal. Since the Downtown Harrisburg market has an immediate demand for only 70,000 square feet of luxury office space, why not scale back the office plans a bit and wedge a few floors of residential space between the offices and the skybar? Having perhaps 100 new residents downtown would serve as a boon to other nearby businesses in terms of foot traffic and will help to deter crime with more of a 24/7 residential presence.

Hmmm...I'm going to be a CPA when I'm missing my true calling as a downtown-related urban planner. Oh well! LOL!

Old 07-24-2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Instead of utilizing floors 2-6 for parking, why not build an underground, multi-level parking garage and put office space into floors 2-6? Then you could decrease the height of the building by several floors, and that would alleviate some of the other concerns about having a high-rise building located in a somewhat low-rise, historically-oriented neighborhood. I personally wouldn't want to be shopping in a store on the first floor only to hear cars zooming over my head! Then again, the new Molly Brannigan's Irish Pub in Downtown Scranton is built into the first-floor of a multi-story parking garage, and you wouldn't even know it while enjoying a nice meal there.

I also think it might prove beneficial to include several floors of residential condominium space overlooking the river in the proposal. Since the Downtown Harrisburg market has an immediate demand for only 70,000 square feet of luxury office space, why not scale back the office plans a bit and wedge a few floors of residential space between the offices and the skybar? Having perhaps 100 new residents downtown would serve as a boon to other nearby businesses in terms of foot traffic and will help to deter crime with more of a 24/7 residential presence.

Hmmm...I'm going to be a CPA when I'm missing my true calling as a downtown-related urban planner. Oh well! LOL!
Harrisburg doesn't have much underground parking due to much of the city being on a flood plain. I actually don't understand why there are any levels of parking, there is a parking garage right next to where it is planned! I guess it makes the building look more attractive to prospective tenants.

About it being a "low-rise" district, that block kind of is, but it's also right on the edge of downtown. There is a strong demand for office space in the city, and this will fill that niche nicely. The rooftop bar is going to be pretty cool! It'll fit in nicely on 2nd street, which is the restaurant/club row in Harrisburg. New residents would also be great in that part of town, but it honestly isn't hurting in the foot traffic sector. There is thriving retail/restaurants along that corridor.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:10 AM

33 posts, read 239,428 times
I would suggest the 2007 Dauphin County tax rate page:

http://www.dauphincounty.org/_files/millage-rate.pdf

Since I see tax related questions pop up often, this would be a good resource for comparison & estimates of taxes.

Edit:
I think Pennlive.com should be in bold print, thats such a great website if someone spends time looking into it.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:25 PM

HACC to open new campus in Harrisburg's midtown
Posted by John Luciew/The Patriot-News August 16, 2007 16:06PM
Categories: Breaking News, Dauphin County, Education, Midstate

Harrisburg's midtown neighborhood is about to become a mini college town.
Moderator cut: copyrights

Last edited by Yac; 12-08-2007 at 03:13 AM..

Old 09-10-2007, 11:09 PM

Area employers expect hiring to remain strong, survey finds
Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Employers in the Harrisburg area are among the most positive in the country about their hiring prospects for the final quarter of the year, according to the Manpower Employment Outlook Survey.

Last edited by Administrator; 12-12-2007 at 01:42 AM.. Reason: [cut - too much of the article reposted]

Old 09-10-2007, 11:11 PM

Building plans to begin for Aloft
BY JOHN LUCIEW / Of The Patriot-News, 09/10/07 11:09 PM EDT

The streetscape near the state Capitol is about to change.

http://www.pennlive.com/media/penn/archive/00153/1121_HOTEL-2-HO_153688d.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-11-2007, 06:11 PM

222 posts, read 1,411,140 times
I often stop at the vietnamese restaurant thats at 304 reily street, just acress from the new hacc midtown campus, i can tell you, a week before they announced that there were weeds everywhere, glass in the street, drug dealers just up the corner at Logan and Reily. It was a pretty bad area. dilapidated buildings, boarded up windows, broken down cars. It now tough looks all brand new, they have been restoring houses one by one and they had live music the other day. you cant even tell its the same place. next to this restaurant there used to be Cedars Lebanese Resaurant (which is now in camp hill) on the upper floor of this building that also served as a bookstore. i cant tell you how run down it was. but now there is beautiful new glass windowns, new paint, trim and clean sidewalks! if you go down in the next week you can see one of the homes right at 3rd and reily thats being renovated. you can see all the dirt and graffiti theyre removing. it definatly is going to help out the other neighbors. theyve even bought on of those empty vartan lots and paved it and put in parking along n. 3rd street, what a wonderful job! go midtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area