U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 07:11 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,675,885 times

Advertisements

Gov. Corbett proposes 4 percent pay cut to state's largest employee union

This would drop the average annual salary to $32,640. That's an hourly wage of $16.74 on a 37.5-hour work week, or $15.69 on a 40-hour work week. After mandatory state employee deductions, that's a take-home pay of around $890 per paycheck, or $1780 per month.

The difference works out to about $74 per month. Double that for dual-state-employee families.

Any thoughts on the local economic impact of such a cut in discretionary spending? Given the huge number of state employees in and around Harrisburg, I can't help but think this will be felt by the local merchants -- especially the lunch spots.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 07:57 AM

4,268 posts, read 10,722,698 times
It's a plot to get people back in the Capitol cafeteria again.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:37 AM

45 posts, read 97,859 times
If they cut salaries by 4%, wont that be 4% less tax revenue the state will be receiving from the employees?

The corporation I work for cut employees' pay by 5% across the board - some got cut 10%, others 25%. This was a couple years ago. Since then, they've reinstated pre-paycut salaries for (most) employees; however, the damage to morale is still very apparent and may never get repaired. How can I trust my employer to not cut my pay again when the going gets tough? The fear of layoffs and not renewing contracts is stressful enough.

I'd be willing to bet the impact to the State would be similar to the impact to my company: The talent goes elsewhere, someplace without a reputation for cutting salaries. The ones who stay slow-down out of spite. (4% less pay = 4% less work)

Besides -- after the 4% paycut, two increases of 2% still wont take employees back up to their pre-paycut salary.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
It's a plot to get people back in the Capitol cafeteria again.
You're probably right!

Old 04-07-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieJo View Post
I'd be willing to bet the impact to the State would be similar to the impact to my company: The talent goes elsewhere, someplace without a reputation for cutting salaries. The ones who stay slow-down out of spite. (4% less pay = 4% less work)
That's a very good point. The good employees get filtered out, while the ones that really need to go remain.

Old 05-19-2011, 06:24 AM

2 posts, read 3,962 times
I am a "State Employee".
I do what I do for the love of the job, the feeling that I am making my community a better place, and the feeling of pride I see in my children’s eyes when they tell friends what I do.
I am the best at what I do in this state. I make a living from what I do. I survive.
I am not rich, and never will be.
Working for the state, most of will never be ‘well off’.
In fact I am looking for a part time job so I can afford to take my children on vacation this year.
As far as the talent going elsewhere, it's already happening in my State Agency.
The 'proposed' contract alone has caused people with as few as 6 years with the state to consider separating from the State. I am doing the same.
It is happening not because these people are 'greedy', but because they will not be able to support their family.
I am in my 11th year with the State, and since 2001, the contracts and the administration’s attitude towards employees has been in ever increasing decline, and as such, so has employee morale.
After crunching the numbers, it will take me (if it happens at all) ten more years to get back to where I am at now.
But how can Corbett even propose such an offer, when last fall HE gave two of HIS attorneys 22% salary increases? These employees are now being paid well over six figures. Don’t tell residents of the state one thing, when YOUR actions tell us otherwise.
I understand the 'talent leaving' statement. That would occur in any industry.
My concern comes from the fact if you consider such State Agencies as the Office of Attorney General, which corbett came from, and how this contract will hinder the ability of that Agency to ATTRACT 'talent'.
Do we really want the top investigating law enforcement agency in the state not to be able to attract the best of the best? Who suffers when the private and criminal sector can 'employ' better quality persons?
The population of this state, that’s who.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slainte` View Post
I am a "State Employee". I do what I do for the love of the job, the feeling that I am making my community a better place, and the feeling of pride I see in my children’s eyes when they tell friends what I do. I am the best at what I do in this state. I make a living from what I do. I survive. I am not rich, and never will be. Working for the state, most of will never be ‘well off’. In fact I am looking for a part time job so I can afford to take my children on vacation this year.

As far as the talent going elsewhere, it's already happening in my State Agency. The 'proposed' contract alone has caused people with as few as 6 years with the state to consider separating from the State. I am doing the same. It is happening not because these people are 'greedy', but because they will not be able to support their family.

I am in my 11th year with the State, and since 2001, the contracts and the administration’s attitude towards employees has been in ever increasing decline, and as such, so has employee morale. After crunching the numbers, it will take me (if it happens at all) ten more years to get back to where I am at now. But how can Corbett even propose such an offer, when last fall HE gave two of HIS attorneys 22% salary increases? These employees are now being paid well over six figures. Don’t tell residents of the state one thing, when YOUR actions tell us otherwise.

I understand the 'talent leaving' statement. That would occur in any industry. My concern comes from the fact if you consider such State Agencies as the Office of Attorney General, which corbett came from, and how this contract will hinder the ability of that Agency to ATTRACT 'talent'. Do we really want the top investigating law enforcement agency in the state not to be able to attract the best of the best?

Who suffers when the private and criminal sector can 'employ' better quality persons?
The population of this state, that’s who.

There are people who won't be satisfied until the state workforce is slashed 90% and given nothing but minimum wage and a pencil. They somehow think this will improve government.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:24 AM

24 posts, read 54,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floor9 View Post
There are people who won't be satisfied until the state workforce is slashed 90% and given nothing but minimum wage and a pencil. They somehow think this will improve government.[/color]
The state needs money and everyone and every agency has a reason why hey need theirs. Schools need money, the state needs money, the towns need money etc. It's a spending problem plain and simple. Taxpayers are bleeding dry and losing jobs. We've been paying people a decent wage for a long time and promising benefits and we are finding out that it's not sustainable. What do we do? Tax employers more so they go to south carolina or georgia o somewhere that is more beneficial? Squeeze more juice from the taxpayer lemon? We've reached an impasse and we all are making do with less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area