Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2011, 08:20 AM

1 posts, read 2,683 times

Advertisements

Could anyone tell me about the Springford apartments? Is that a good complex? How are the schools that correspond to that area? Are they good schools? (middle/highschool specific)

We are moving to Harrisburg, PA will be working at Sygma Warehouse. My son is in middleschool and the other is a toddler, my wife plans to attend a state or community college to pursue a nursing career.

Any recommendations for apartments/townhomes will be greatly appreicated, we are looking for a short commute to work, yet a safe an good community to raise a family.

Many thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 09:03 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,908,754 times
Springford is fine. I would put them slightly above other similar garden-style apartments in the area. I personally have never lived there, but that's only because I prefer dense city / hi-rise living. While crime can hit anywhere, I'd put that area near the top of the "safe" list. You've got two supermarkets within ten minutes (use Karns for meats, Giant for everything else), a surprisingly-good convenience store just south on Nyes Road (Rutters), and Wal-Mart right around the corner. Note that there are two Springford rental communities -- Springford Apartments is your typical garden-style apartment complex, and Terraces at Springford is a slightly higher-end townhouse rental community. Both are fine.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that's the Central Dauphin school district there. I've never heard a single complaint about the district. Most of the locals I know attended CD (I myself moved in from out of the area long after high school). Frankly, I don't think we have any "bad" schools around here aside from Harrisburg City. Do not, under any circumstances, let your children attend the Harrisburg school district.

For other rental townhomes in good areas, I would also check out Timber Ridge at Waverly Woods and Susquehanna Summit. Both are in the Susquehanna school district (also very good), both are in low-crime areas, both are within minutes of grocery stores / shopping / traffic arteries, and both are MUCH closer to Sygma's Industrial Road warehouse.

You also might want to drive around Waverly Woods (the A-frame condos just north on Progress Ave near the intersection with Linglestown Road) and Cherrington (just off Progress near the intersection of Reichert Road and Cherrington Dr). The second-floor units are unique 2- and 3-bedroom loft condos. These aren't rental communities, but there's almost always one for rent privately in either neighborhood.

Good luck! If you find anything and want our opinion, feel free to ask.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:30 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,720,664 times
Springford seems OK, it's been a place where boring young single professionals go (i.e. the ones who don't want to live downtown). CD is a pretty big school district so both the good crowd and the bad crowd are bigger. They seem to have some management issues, like breaching a union contract to fire school bus drivers in the middle of a school year, regardless of whether it's smart to privatize that function it's just dumb to do it that way.

The Springford developer (DeSouza Brown) has started over again at higher prices in Lower Dauphin school district, along PA 39 northwest of Hershey. DeSouza Brown Search By Map Going out 39 to north end of Hbg isn't bad, coming back at end of day shift runs into the area's newest bottleneck where NB I-81 necks down from three lanes to two between I-83 and Linglestown exit.

Here is a complex in Derry Twp schools, commute not too bad to and from the Sygma facility (I used to work nearby), Madison at Hershey Heights but for much shopping you'll be driving past Springford.

Also to that end of Harrisburg some areas on the north side of Cumberland Valley school district may be worth considering, the bridges don't stack up as much in Harrisburg as the parallel roads (the I-83 bridge troubles are the fault of stupid bottlenecks on both sides not the bridge itself). See the "West Shore Division" under http://www.triplecrowncorp.com/rental.html for examples, don't know how good they are myself.

Last edited by ki0eh; 04-10-2011 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: one more thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area