Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2011, 06:32 PM

14 posts, read 33,891 times

Advertisements

Possibly could be moving to Harrisburg area with a job at Harrisburg International. Need info asap as i need to make a decision by end of the weekend so i am trying to collect as much info via internet but also would like some first hand info from people who live in the area because everything looks good on paper. Small family so minimum 2br is what i mostly care about.

Trying to get insight on rental prices for apartments/houses either or? Expenses in relation to housing especially the gas not familiar with how that works everything is electric where Im from. Good areas to live whether it be in Harrisburg or within some distance to airport. Big thing for us is hows harrisburg and surrounding area is it real country or small city type feel? Also how is the job market or just trying to find some extra work just in general. Childcare, activities, parks, other leisure activities. School system? Are they good? Another biggie is IS IT EXPENSIVE TO LIVE THERE???? the big picture in your opinions.

Also any other tidbits anyone can offer i deeply appreciate. I only have a few days to make a decision so anything you think is valuable to someone possibly relocating i wouldn't mind hearing about it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 08:51 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,089 times
Hi! I'll do my best to answer your questions, but could you post a little more info? There's a sticky at the top of the forum that has some good starter questions.

In general terms, I don't think it's expensive to live here. You can definitely find cheaper housing if you're willing to move further away from urban areas, but that's entirely your call. When you live closer to a city, you're obviously paying more for the amenities it brings.

For a job at HIA, you'll obviously want to look for rentals around Middletown. Also consider Highspire, Hummelstown, and possibly Hershey and Elizabethtown. You might also want to look into the area around Chambers Hill, also known as Swatara Township. This is roughly the area south and southeast of where I-283 intersects with I-83. Speaking very generally, housing costs will decrease the further east you go along 283.

Gas prices vary greatly depending on the type of structure you're in. If you're just talking about heat (and not a gas range or gas dryer), a well-insulated townhome might be around $30 - $50 / month depending on how warm you want to keep it in the winter. An older detached multi-level home can very easily cost several hundred dollars per month for heat alone. Your landlord will be able to provide you with a rough estimate on your heating costs, but bear in mind that these vary by person.

You might want to consider looking at one of the apartment complexes that includes all utilities. The Village of Pineford is one in Middletown, and although I've never lived there, I've never heard any complaints about it.

Avoid the Harrisburg city school district at all costs. Unless you're living in Harrisburg city proper, this won't be a problem.

Our job market is better than most parts of the country, but this depends on your field. The local IT sector tends to be overburdened, for example, unless you're highly specialized and can obtain a security clearance. I wouldn't move to the area unless you're confident in your employment.

The area (we call this area "Central PA", by the way, even though we're not really in the middle of the state) is peppered with natural parks. Most municipalities have their own park systems (however small), and you'll have no trouble finding baseball / football / soccer / etc leagues for all ages. Harrisburg has a surprisingly good nightlife scene for a city of its size. Philly is only 60-90 minutes away by train, NYC is about three hours (also by train), and Baltimore is about 90 minutes.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:58 PM

Thanks for the help.....major question I'm having that I can't seem to find info on his how much is the gas bill for an apartment. Just assuming that an apartment has less space to heat up than a house. On average during the winter months it seems like this will be a deciding factor in a definite move or not because that is a big chunk of change to worry about.

Also what does an avg electric bill be over there also
Thanks in advance

Old 06-11-2011, 06:08 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejt0413 View Post
Thanks for the help.....major question I'm having that I can't seem to find info on his how much is the gas bill for an apartment. Just assuming that an apartment has less space to heat up than a house. On average during the winter months it seems like this will be a deciding factor in a definite move or not because that is a big chunk of change to worry about.

Also what does an avg electric bill be over there also
Thanks in advance
Again, your answer on these questions will vary wildly depending on MANY factors. How well-insulated is the apartment? Is it a single-story apartment? Is it one of multiple units within the same building, or does it stand alone? How new are the windows? How warm do you like to keep it? Are you just using gas for heat, or for cooking and hot water and clothes drying? What gas provider are you using, and how much do they charge? Nobody can give you an exact number without knowing at least what type of building you're going to be in, what you're using the gas for, and how warm you like to keep your apartment.

Your heating & cooling expenses will generally be less if you live in a multi-unit building, and/or have fewer exterior walls. Past this, nobody can give you an exact number. It might be $30 / mo for a well-insulated middle unit, and it might be $300 / mo for a run-down end unit with poor insulation and an inefficient furnace.

Plus, bear in mind that gas is also often used for cooking, hot water, and clothes drying, so add that on.

The only way to get an answer that's even remotely close will be to call the apartment complex you're considering and ask them. They will be able to give you a more accurate ballpark.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:41 PM

Yeah that's right...been doing somre searching finding apartments fit my budget but I keep seeing info on places stating they have electric heat and save money with electric heat. Do you have any knowledge as to how electric heat holds up to gas heat. Where I live everything is electric so during months using heat or ac its relatively the same. Just curious to know if the electric heat over there would not produce 600 bills

Once again thank you appreciate your help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area