U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2011, 03:12 PM

24 posts, read 42,410 times

Advertisements

My husband and I may be moving to the Harrisburg area sometime this summer because I got a teaching job in a private school. The school is located off of North Progress Road, just south of I81. We would like to find a place to rent that is nearby. I would be willing to have a 15 minute commute if need be. We would prefer a small house with a yard, we have a Golden Retriever. But we do like townhouses and would be open to apartments. We are currently living in Texas in a brand new apartment complex and have become quite spoiled by it, so we'd love new construction if possible, or at least updated. We would be willing to spend as much as $1200 a month. I should say also that we are in our mid 20's and would like to be near things to do, shopping, restaurants and all that.

Where are the nicest areas to live? We want to be somewhere safe.

My husband would be wanting a job in the finance, banking, mortgage, or accounting industries. Would he find it difficult or easy to get a job in any of those areas?

Any suggestions or tips about the area would be helpful, as we know absolutely nothing about it. Thank you!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 06:48 AM

4,268 posts, read 10,711,115 times
Basically for the safe and quiet suburban lifestyle you will want to look north and east of that employment site in Susquehanna Township (has its own schools) or Lower Paxton Twp (part of the fairly large Central Dauphin school district). Susquehanna Twp is more diverse seeming, it has a significant Jewish presence as well as African-American professionals looking for better schools than Harrisburg City - the City limits are drawn so tightly that other than a couple of next to downtown gentrified or gentrifying enclaves, the residential areas are all inner city. I can't speak to pros and cons of particular complexes but there are some new and new-ish in the area as well as some older complexes.

The state government is a large employer of financial-ish type people, both directly and by contracts with such outfits as Deloitte. Penn National Insurance downtown, and suburban corporate headquarters (Rite Aid, Harsco, Hershey in Fortune 500 rank), and maybe the odd bank or credit union (Mid Penn, PSECU might be the largest that remain locally based) could be possibilities.

Depending on what you do in Texas there might be connections there that may help. A fair number of the associate members of .: Marcellus Shale Coalition - Job Portal :. (http://www.marcelluscoalition.org/site/jobs.html - broken link) have bases of operation in the Harrisburg area - up in northern PA I see a lot of white pickup trucks with Texas tags, around Harrisburg I've been seeing more Cadillacs and Lexuses with TX tags lately too.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:54 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,672,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiersantiFamily View Post
We would prefer a small house with a yard, we have a Golden Retriever. But we do like townhouses and would be open to apartments. We are currently living in Texas in a brand new apartment complex and have become quite spoiled by it, so we'd love new construction if possible, or at least updated. We would be willing to spend as much as $1200 a month. I should say also that we are in our mid 20's and would like to be near things to do, shopping, restaurants and all that.
Hello and welcome to Central PA!

You said "North Progress Road" -- did you by chance mean "North Progress Ave"? Progress Ave is one of the major local roads, but I've never heard of Progress Road. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, though! If you DID mean Progress Ave, then I agree with Ki0eh's recommendations. I personally prefer Susquehanna Township over Lower Paxton. Susquehanna seems to have less congestion and provides better access to and from the city. There are a lot of newer (5-10 years old) condos in the Waverly Woods developments on North Progress Ave, just north of Linglestown Road. Most of them are owned, but there are rentals scattered throughout, and there's at least one entirely-rental community in there.

You may also find some suitable housing options in the city itself, though crime is more of a concern here than in the suburbs. It is by no means an epidemic, but is definitely something to maintain awareness of. Feel free to post any specific neighborhoods you find interesting.

If you're looking for entertainment options, check out downtown Harrisburg on a weekend. Second Street between Market and North Streets is known as "restaurant row". It's a hugely popular collection of bars, nightclubs, lounges, restaurants, pubs, live music venues, and even the occasional food cart. The area is very well-travelled and will become almost shoulder-to-shoulder on Friday & Saturday nights. My personal favorites are Privado (a martini lounge), McGrath's (Irish pub), Molly Brannigan's (another Irish pub), and Ceoltas (we have a lot of Irish pubs). Appalachian Brewing Company (on Cameron Street, just north of Market) isn't exactly downtown but is well worth a visit.

Midtown Harrisburg (mostly Third Street between Forster and Reily) is becoming the city's arts & culture district. The crowds here are a little more mature and a little less rambunctious. Look into Garrason's Tavern and the Harrisburg Midtown Arts Center (HMAC).

Shopping options are scattered around the area. Most of the east shore shopping options are along Jonestown Road / Route 22 between I-83 and Mountain Road. There are also some decent plazas on the west shore, including Camp Hill (along US-15, just north of PA-581) and Mechanicsburg (along the Carlisle Pike, roughly one mile east of PA-114).

We have no national supermarket chains but several regional ones. Giant is arguably the nicest and probably the least expensive overall. Karns has the best meat prices by a long shot. Weis ... I'm not really sure who shops there, becuase I personally don't find their selection or pricing to be competitive at all.

And if you enjoy coffee, stop by St. Thomas Roasters along Linglestown Road (PA-39, just west of Mountain Road). They roast in-house and have some of the best beans I've ever had.

Again, welcome to the area!

Old 06-13-2011, 09:50 AM

4,268 posts, read 10,711,115 times
Wegmans too would be more convenient from that corner of the East Shore (bridge? what bridge??) than from down in Derry.

Once we get her straight on Progress Ave vs Rd then we'll have to start on the pronunciation of "Progress" in this context.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:22 PM

40 posts, read 183,904 times
Check into Enola It's right across the river on the west shore. Much more laid back...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area