Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2011, 09:15 AM

9 posts, read 96,865 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I live downtown Cleveland (everything is nearby including work;no car but public trans. here is great). BUT I have a great financial opportunity coming up to go to Harrisburg or possibly Scranton.

I am single, white (doesn't matter, does it?), late 50s, friendly, pretty liberal, but vote VERY much independent.

Which place would be best for me?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 12:34 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,397,167 times
Harrisburg blows Scranton away in my opinion. Harrisburg has so much more going on economically. Traffic in Harrisburg can be a pain in the ass at times just to give you a heads up! Scranton is an old coal city. At one time it was booming, but economically it seems like its dwindling. Harrisburg leans conservative/ Republican. While Scranton leads way Democrat, but not far left Democrat, more like moderate Democrat, ie senator Bob Casey. Me personally I would pick Harrisburg.

PS Harrisburg is only an hour to an hour an half from Baltimore not much longer to Philly, depending on traffic

Old 07-16-2011, 01:40 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,783,512 times
Harrisburg has rebounded much more than Scranton, although the City of Harrisburg (small part even of the area with a Harrisburg postal address) is having significant financial problems in the long view those will likely not be a big factor in the area. Scranton is a little closer driving to NYC and about the same to Phila but Hbg is also closer to Baltimore and DC and has a train to NYC that Scranton currently doesn't. Folks moving from NYC/NJ to Scranton seem to be more numerous and engender more resentment than folks moving to Harrisburg area. I know a number of ex-Ohioans in the area and they seem happy enough. Harrisburg is also a bit sunnier and warmer.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:27 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,237,559 times
Scranton leans much more Democratic than Harrisburg but those Democrats are labor-friendly, socially conservative Democrats, not socially liberal democrats. The city of Harrisburg itself, while located in a fairly strong Republican area, is probably more liberal than Scranton is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area