U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 08:29 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,597,575 times

Advertisements

A while back someone mentioned changing this forum to include York and Lancaster. I can think of several good reasons for this expansion:

1. When people say "central PA", they are generally referring to Harrisburg / York / Lancaster, not just Harrisburg.
  2. Related to #1, calling the forum "Central PA" might confuse people (such as those considering a move to the area), since this area technically isn't central Pennsylvania -- it's just a local misnomer.
  3. There is a tremendous amount of crossover between the three regions. Plenty of people live in York and work in Harrisburg, or live in Harrisburg but work in Lancaster, and so on.
  4. Questions relating to Lancaster or York sometimes fall into the main PA forum, since they "aren't Harrisburg" (see the current question about craft fairs). However, us regional locals are the best source for this information; the PA forum should be left to scoop up smaller communities and general statewide discussion.
  5. Many of Harrisburg's political, economic, and structural decisions directly impact the region as a whole. The city's proposed commuter tax is an excellent example of this, as is the future "I-83 Master Plan".
  6. The "Northeast PA" forum encompasses Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, and the surrounding towns, and it's considerably more active. I'm not sure this would be the case if it was simply the "Scranton" forum.
By renaming the forum as "Harrisburg - York - Lancaster", new users and non-local users should also be able to easily identify this as the appropriate area for questions and discussions related to smaller nearby towns such as Mechanicsburg, Elizabethtown, Etters, etc. In addition, usage of the forum should grow considerably.

When this forum was created, were there any objections to including Lancaster & York in the title?

My apologies if this isn't the appropriate venue to discuss forum naming. I figured I'd toss it out here first and see if anyone else thought it was a good idea.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 08:22 PM

4,267 posts, read 10,415,168 times
I think that's a good idea to expand the forum coverage as you suggest. As has been pointed out, it is the area encompassing the three cities of the "Dutch Triad" that is a larger media market than Las Vegas, but no branding. Maybe if someone knows how to render "Dutch Triad" in Pennsylvania Deutsch we might be on the way to creating a new identity and branding.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:12 AM

31,441 posts, read 70,536,316 times
I was the one who initially lobbied for the creation of this sub-forum, and, at the time, I recommended it be titled "South Central PA" with a sub-header to indicate it included Harrisburg, York, Lancaster, Lebanon, and Carlisle. I was told that there was no desire to add another "regional" sub-forum, hence us now having a Harrisburg city sub-forum that is dead. Adams, York, Lancaster, Lebanon, Cumberland, Perry, and Dauphin Counties are all interdependent upon one another economically, socially, culturally, etc., which is why at the time I thought a regional sub-forum would have been a better fit, as is the case with the Northeastern Pennsylvania sub-forum.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:31 AM

4,267 posts, read 10,415,168 times
Yep, it seems just as soon as some sort of forum was created for Harrisburg, all the old posters like "danwxman," and "RestonRunner86," and now even that "floor9" guy, seem to have gone away.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:02 AM

Well, that seems to be consensus among the regulars! What's the proper way to request a rename? Do we just PM a mod?

Old 08-15-2011, 10:13 AM

I just sent a PM to a mod inquiring about the name change. If there's a formal procedure, I haven't been able to find it.

I really think this would be a HUGE improvement towards broadening the user base and supporting the region as a whole, especially to new users / "immigrants" who aren't familiar with the triangle.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:23 AM

12,922 posts, read 29,928,474 times
DowntownHarrisburg, I'll answer you here instead of via a PM. Unfortunately, I have no say in how the forums are named. I can certainly back you up, but I cannot change the name, that's up to the administrators of this site. One place where things like that are discussed is Here - //www.city-data.com/forum/about-forum/

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:34 AM

Thanks for the tip. I've just stated a new thread there on the subject. It might be helpful if anyone interested (either for or against) voiced their opinions as well:

//www.city-data.com/forum/about...orum-name.html

Old 08-17-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird-boy View Post
PLEASE HELP ME GUYS, I HAVE TO CHOSE WHERE I'M GOING TILL FRIDAY!
You might want to start a new thread so you get more responses.

Carlisle is about 15-30 minutes from Harrisburg. Danville is just over an hour. Harrisburg is about 3.5 hours to NYC, Danville is about four hours.

Danville is a small town surrounded by countryside and other small towns. Carlisle has more to do, is near Harrisburg, York, and Lancaster, and will probably provide more to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area