Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area
 [Register]
Harrisburg area Cumberland, Dauphin, and Perry Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 10:57 AM

37 posts, read 105,055 times

Advertisements

Which city would you recommend to relocate too? What city is better for raising children, cost of living, and over all nicer "more to do" location...In your opinion, if you were me, which location would you choose? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 11:35 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,783,512 times
Pittsburgh is certainly much larger and it actually seems that the cost of living a middle-class lifestyle might be less due to generally lower housing prices. Harrisburg is closer to larger cities than Pittsburgh is. Harrisburg is warmer and sunnier. Pittsburgh has major league pro sports and well known universities. Both have traffic due to way too few lane miles on the roads, major highways necking down to one lane. It might be a little easier to escape to the woods and certainly closer to the shore from the city limits of Harrisburg vs. the city limits of Pittsburgh but there's still great hiking and whitewater within an hour or so of Pgh. Employment is probably easier to find in many fields in Harrisburg than Pittsburgh.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:12 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,921,943 times
To me, Pittsburgh always seemed like "the city that was". It feels as if they built up this massive downtown with skyscrapers and mass transit, and then everyone just left. Maybe that isn't actually the case, but that's what it feels like whenever I visit.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:02 PM

747 posts, read 1,231,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownHarrisburg View Post
To me, Pittsburgh always seemed like "the city that was". It feels as if they built up this massive downtown with skyscrapers and mass transit, and then everyone just left. Maybe that isn't actually the case, but that's what it feels like whenever I visit.
Was it on a Sunday! Of all the mid sized cities, Pittsburgh has one of the highest downtown working populations. More people work in downtown now than at anytime in its history (140,000). Downtown Pittsburgh also has the second lowest office vacany rate next to NYC. This does not include Uptown / Oakland.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:31 AM

25 posts, read 39,534 times
thats because pittsburgh is a city of neighboorhoods with there own buisness districts downtown is not the place to be on the weekend.. sure its still better then harrisburg's downtown any day of the week.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:32 AM

25 posts, read 39,534 times
i suggest the o.p asks people on the Pittsburgh forum about Pittsburgh , you'll have alot more options of things to do in pittsburgh in my opinion, and i used to live in hbg for a long time

Old 08-09-2011, 10:54 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,783,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelers#6pa View Post
i suggest the o.p asks people on the Pittsburgh forum about Pittsburgh , you'll have alot more options of things to do in pittsburgh in my opinion, and i used to live in hbg for a long time
I do think a lot of the active posters on the Pittsburgh sub-forum don't even check the general PA forum - they talk about things like PLCB privatization and Marcellus Shale on the city forum not the state. So that's good advice to post also in the Pittsburgh sub-forum.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:09 PM

209 posts, read 606,940 times
I would say as far as things to do probably Pittsburgh. Harrisburg has proximity to Philly and DC, but it's too far (In my opinion) to utilize the amenities of a large city on a regular basis, maybe once ever few months, unless you want to be driving all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Harrisburg area